thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Opinions!

Discussion of technical schemata of translating dictionaries; creating foreign language dictionaries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Opinions!

Postby Dennis » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:14 pm

I am very astonished by the vast collection of words that you have in the online dictionaries. Especially the examples part. Its really well done. I can really learn a lot from it. But i would like to bring to your notice of 2 suggestions that i have that i think would make it even better in my opinion.

1st suggestion.
What u have now is in 3 columns. 1st column is thai word, followed by phonetics and then english. I guess it would be easier to see if its done on 3 rows. That would be very neat.

2nd suggestion.
Next is the phonetics that u are using. There is a Student's Thai-English dictionary by Mary R Haas. The phonetics and tone marks that they used is the best that i have seen through many years of my learning thai. It really helps to pronounce accurate Thai.

The above suggestions that i made are my sincerest opinion in making it an even better website. I do understand that it would be quite difficult to make changes at this time because of your huge database. But i guess it would really be very good. Maybe you might wish to ask for more opinions regarding my suggestions from other people before even considering it.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis

Opinions!

Postby Glenn Slayden » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:51 pm

Thanks for your well-considered suggestions. I can provide some explanation for the choices we have made.
  • Some entries are very long, and as we add phrases, a single entry might be extremely long. We felt that by organizing a single word horizontally, you can see more complete sentences on a computer screen, which is, after all, wider than it is tall (for most screens). Also, as screen resolutions increase to 1280x1024, for example, our layout may seem more convenient to you. I will confess to being somewhat biased in this area: Image
  • Our first notion concerning transliteration was not to have any on the site. Because a web site can offer audio files, this provides a much better way for the student to learn. And we advocate that all students should learn Thai reading and writing eventually. However, our early website which had no phonetics got a lot of criticism, as you might guess. So we have added it but it is a low priority for our development and editing time. In fact, many of the transliterations (they are generated by a computer program) are incorrect, as you've probably noticed.
  • Once we decided to have transliterations, our most important goal was to provide a system that people can use without any prior instruction in the system itself. This rules out special characters and upside-down letters, and all non-standard, non-alphabetic characters. Our superscripted tone markers are very logical, and serve this primary goal well, and have received positive feedback. Nobody has ever needed explanation of the system (however, a key can be displayed by hovering the mouse over the large, main transliteration at the top of most entries).
  • The biggest advantage of our system is that, because it is computer-generated, it is guaranteed to be consistent. To that end, we have spent a lot of time documenting exactly how the system works on these 2 pages: vowels, consonants. Our vowels page is the only one we know of which is provably complete (within Godel's limits) (since our 18000+ word dictionary is processed through it).
We are aware of Ms. Haas' Book and of course it is a reference standard, but it is also some 30 years old. The web is filled with people who are not just serious academic students of language, but ordinary people who want to get their feet wet without being intimidated by strange symbols.

Because of the computerized nature of our system, it's not difficult to make changes to the transliterations which appear across the entire site. In fact, I was considering making a change just now to eliminate the one "special" symbol we do use, which is an underline in the symbol we use for .

Thanks again for your message,

Glenn
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Opinions!

Postby Captain (กัปตัน) » Sun May 18, 2003 7:18 am

Glenn ,
By the look of the picture, seems to me that you are indeed a workaholic. It is a very tedious job also to update various kinds of information. :)
Captain (กัปตัน)

Opinions!

Postby Kyo » Mon May 26, 2003 7:17 am

kaptan
thammai mai phud phasa thai lar..
Kyo

Opinions!

Postby Captain (กัปตัน) » Tue May 27, 2003 8:43 am

yes, how can I help you, my dear Khun KYO? :)
Captain (กัปตัน)

Opinions!

Postby Kyo » Wed May 28, 2003 4:18 am

????
kaptan!!
what do you say ar??
oups...i do not know na
you are strange...
like me..
but what is your origine?
Kyo

Opinions!