thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Just moved to Bangkok! Need to learn Thai

Tell us about yourself, your interest in the Thai language, or just say 'Hello!'

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Just moved to Bangkok! Need to learn Thai

Postby ifferjenn22 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 am

Greetings! I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My family (myself, husband, and 3 boys ages 5, 6, 8) relocated to Bangkok a week ago due to my husbands job. We will be here for 3 years. I am enjoying it here so far but feel lost when we leave our house due to being unable to communicate. My first goal is to learn some Thai so that I can at least say excuse me, please & thank-you to those that I encounter!

I am looking forward to using all of the resources on this website to not only learn Thai but hopefully make some contacts for information and things to do during our stay.

Thanks-
Jennifer
ifferjenn22

Re: Just moved to Bangkok! Need to learn Thai

Postby David and Bui » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:31 am

Welcome, Jennifer, to Thai-language.com. While this site, and other similar sites, contain lots of material for learners of the Thai language, there is no substitute for a live teacher. Thai contains vowels and consonants whose sounds are unfamiliar to the foreign learner and comprehending them and mastering their production is an effort equivalent to working out at the gym. Tones which are basic elements of Thai expression can also only be learned by listening, repeating, correcting, and practice.

Get a teacher or attend school, learn the Thai alphabet, and have a wonderful time.

We look forward to seeing you on this site as you move forward with your studies.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby daฟาน » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:32 am

If you don't mind trying, then you could give a small language school with group lessons a chance. There will be quite likely some people in a similar situation like you.

In fact I know two lovely ladies who were in a similar situation like you. I am not sure if they ever did a Thai course, but the way they got into Thai culture and also Thai language was by practicing Muay Thai. Sounds weird, but it's true. One of them really got into fighting and lost also a lot of weight, the other one didn't take it that seriously but still had a great time - who knows, maybe you can give that a try too.
daฟาน

Postby mana » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:18 am

Jennifer
welcome to Thailand.....

I'm Thai ( native )

if you need to practice you listening and speaking skill and need some native Thai people speak with you (colloquist)

I can be a colloquist with you
and if you have a question or if you need to know anything about Thailand, , just ask

I need to learn English too.

this is my Skype ID: streamdiff
mana

Return to Guestbook and Introductions