thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Howdy All

Tell us about yourself, your interest in the Thai language, or just say 'Hello!'

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Howdy All

Postby genghis83 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:37 am

Hi everyone!

I visited Bangkok this past March for a few weeks and I've made up my mind to move from sunny California to Thailand.

I've been trying to learn thai on my own for the past couple of months. I have a lady-friend that I chat with online when we both have time. She speaks VERY little English. That's been pretty helpful in forcing me to learn to read and write. I probably should get to speaking soon--gonna have to hit up the local Thai restaurants and see if there are any Thai-speaking Thais there.

My goal is to be able to speak enough thai survive in Bangkok without having to resort to English. It'd be even better if I could hold a simple conversation with a local. I think it'd be a waste if I were to move to another country and not be able to experience anything beyond the expat bubble.

Anyhow, I think I've hit my first block. She's starting to use more complex sentences (those not following a simple SVO pattern) and I am LOST--I THINK I get the gist of what's being said, but I could very well be wrong. I've been doing my best to look through the example sentences to figure out how unfamiliar words, phrases, and sentence patterns are being used, but I'm stuck. I bought a grammar reference, but it's only really useful going from English to Thai. Are there any resources that are designed to teach non-Thais Thai grammar?

I'm hoping that I can start progressing again if I keep asking questions.

Scott
genghis83

Re: Howdy All

Postby John » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 am

Hi Scott,

I purchased "Thai Reference Grammar" by James Higbie and Snea Thinsan and refer to it from time to time. My main criticism is the index is not Thai, it is an English transliteration so it can be a challenge to find a particular Thai word. For instance when I was looking for the usage of "ต่อ" I had to check the D's and the T's.

Hopefully others will respond.

John
John (จอห์น)
John

Return to Guestbook and Introductions