thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

help!

Tell us about yourself, your interest in the Thai language, or just say 'Hello!'

Moderator: acloudmovingby

help!

Postby piquedard » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:39 pm

hi,
i know all the words but the translation doesn't make sense to me!

มดแดงเกาะตามตัวลูกนกแก้ว

/pd
piquedard
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: help!

Postby David and Bui » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Let's look at the several sentences together:
______________________________________
ลูก นกแก้ว ตัวหนึ่ง นอน ร้อง อยู่ ใต้ ต้นมะม่วง
A baby parrot was lying underneath the mango tree crying out loud.

เด็กทั้งสาม จึง เข้าไป ดู
The three children thus went over to look [at it].

เขา เห็น มดแดง เกาะ อยู่ ตามตัว
They saw some red ants piling up [on the baby parrot] one right after the other.

ปิติ ช่วย เอา มดแดง ออก
Piti helped remove the red ants [from the baby parrot].

ลูกนกแก้ว ไม่ร้อง แต่ เดิน ไม่ได้
The baby parrot didn't cry [any more] but it could not walk.
. . .
_______________________________

This is my understanding. Are you reading this story?
David in Houston
David and Bui
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: help!

Postby piquedard » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:44 pm

hi David,
thanks for a quick answer!
lol! well, i'm reading "Maanii Bok II, lesson 27". after i have posted, i remembered that " เกาะ " means island or to climb, to clinch, so eureka, i got it!
many thanks!
/pd
piquedard
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: help!

Postby piquedard » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:52 pm

hi,
i'd be grateful if someone could translate the following sentence:

เพอื่นเป็นทานบารมี

many thanks!
/p
piquedard
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: help!

Postby David and Bui » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:10 am

I'll take a stab at this; I welcome discussion and correction.

The phrase "ทานบารมี" seems to be a Buddhist phrase; it is defined in the Royal Institute Dictionary as ". . . . คุณความดีที่ควรบำเพ็ญ คือ ทาน." A website states the definition as follows:

"ทานบารมี หมายถึง การให้ การบริจาค หรือการสละสิ่งของต่างๆของตนเองให้แก่ผู้อื่น"
[ทานบารมี means giving; being charitable; or giving up various things that you have to give to others." https://www.dmc.tv/pages/latest_update/ ... _LEFT.html

I cannot find the full sentence "เพอื่นเป็นทานบารมี", but one might interpret this as meaning "Being a friend means acting in a charitable manner toward someone." Or, perhaps, "Friendship means self-sacrifice."

Any thoughts?
David in Houston
David and Bui
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: help!

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:38 am

noun = noun.

It means that ทานบารมี is the essential feature of เพื่อน I think. Actually I think that most philosophies require ทานบารมี of everybody not just friend which implies that the quality is directed toward the other in the pairing.
However it does say friend so I guess that เพื่อนเป็นทานบารมี could be a compliment to a friend or a description of a friend.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:41 am

Re: help!

Postby Pirin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:30 am

piquedard wrote:hi,
i'd be grateful if someone could translate the following sentence:

เพอื่นเป็นทานบารมี

many thanks!
/p


Tgeezer wrote:noun = noun.

It means that ทานบารมี is the essential feature of เพื่อน I think. Actually I think that most philosophies require ทานบารมี of everybody not just friend which implies that the quality is directed toward the other in the pairing.
However it does say friend so I guess that เพื่อนเป็นทานบารมี could be a compliment to a friend or a description of a friend.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
User avatar
Pirin
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: help!

Postby Pirin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 am

piquedard wrote:hi,
i know all the words but the translation doesn't make sense to me!

มดแดงเกาะตามตัวลูกนกแก้ว

/pd


มดแดงเกาะนกแก้ว
<=
มดแดง + เกาะ + นกแก้ว
<=
มดแดง + เกาะ(ตามตัว) + (ลูก)นกแก้ว
<=
มดแดงเกาะตามตัวลูกนกแก้ว

.....

ลูกนกแก้ว = a chick
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
User avatar
Pirin
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: help!

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:55 am

Pirin wrote:
piquedard wrote:hi,
i'd be grateful if someone could translate the following sentence:

เพอื่นเป็นทานบารมี

many thanks!
/p


Tgeezer wrote:noun = noun.

It means that ทานบารมี is the essential feature of เพื่อน I think. Actually I think that most philosophies require ทานบารมี of everybody not just friend which implies that the quality is directed toward the other in the pairing.
However it does say friend so I guess that เพื่อนเป็นทานบารมี could be a compliment to a friend or a description of a friend.

Thanks Pirin, เผอิญ thought that เพอื่น was finger trouble. Now it makes no sense at all, must I find another meaning for เป็น ! :?
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:41 am

Re: help!

Postby Pirin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 am

piquedard wrote:hi,
i'd be grateful if someone could translate the following sentence:

เพอื่นเป็นทานบารมี

many thanks!
/p


=>

1. .....เพื่อเป็นทานบารมี

One does something, so one is the one who gives, (which is good for oneself).

2. เพื่อนเป็นทานบารมี
This is somewhat figurative.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
User avatar
Pirin
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Next

Return to Guestbook and Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Copyright © 2017 thai-language.com. Portions copyright © by original authors, rights reserved, used by permission; Portions 17 USC §107.