thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Thai Ending Particles & Polite Particles

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: Thai Ending Particles & Polite Particles

Postby DonSena » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 am

tach.skypethaiteacher wrote:
DonSena wrote:. เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่ ไม่ได้ไปไหน
In the third, นี่ would seem to be the adverb ‘here.’

"นี่" here in the third sentence actually has the same function as those in the first two sentences, it is not the adverb "นี่" (ที่นี่). You can say "ผมก็อยู่ที่นี่นี่ ไม่ได้ไปไหน" but again, like I said before, in real life we pronounce this word as "หนิ" so it would be "ผมก็อยู่ที่นี่หนิ ไม่ได้ไปไหน". And, I'm talking about "นี่" in the context of arguing back only. Please do not get confused with "นี่" or "เนี่ย" used in other contexts. "นี่" used in this context (to argue back) cannot be replaced with "เนี่ย".

The difference between "นี่" and "เนี่ย" (in the context where they are interchangeable) is that "เนี่ย" sounds more informal and it is more emotional as well. For example, in the sentence I said in my video "เมื่อไหร่จะมาเนี่ย" (in the context of waiting for a bus which never seems to come), the particle "เนี่ย" help the speaker express her annoyance more than if she would say "เมื่อไหร่จะมานี่" (in real life, people don't really say "เมื่อไหร่จะมานี่" or ".....นี่" when they're emotional). And in spoken language, "เนี่ย" is definitely more frequently used.

So, then, to understand correctly, นี่ in ...

ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่ ,
เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and
เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่

... is the first-position sentence particle นี่, with variants นิ่ and, as you indicate, หนิ.

Section !C of the paper on the codaphrase describes a 1st-pos particle.
I've copied and pasted 1C here:

"1C: นี่ or นิ่ ‘Take note of, or notice, this thing. I have this point to make.’ (Listener is usually not assumed to be familiar with the situation.)

"In the use of either นี่ or น่ะ (from 1B above), speaker draws attention to something that is not considered to be brand-new, or only now relevant, but usually something that has been true (at least in the mind of the speaker) for some time.

"ก็เขารู้จักกันอยู่แล้วนี่นา = > ก็เขารู้จักกันอยู่แล้ว [นี่] [นา] [ ] [ ]
‘But they already know each other.” (I mean to point this out for your notice.)

"ก็มันจะถูกกระจกนี่นา = > ก็มันจะถูกกระจก [นี่] [นา] [ ] [ ]
‘Well, you might hit the window with it.’ (Oh, don’t you see?)

"ก็ไม่มีใครชวนดิฉันนี่ค่ะ = > ก็ไม่มีใครชวนดิฉัน [นี่] [ ] [ค่ะ] [ ]
‘Well, no one invited me.’ (So that’s why I’m not going.)
ค่ะ is a position-three particle that refers back to the speaker’s identity as a female."

I sense that นี่ as illustrated above is somewhat argumentative and possibly corresponds to the use of นี่ in your three examples.

Could นี่ in

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

be followed by นา, a variant of the 2nd-pos particle นะ ?
For instance, would ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่นา be acceptable to the native Thai ear,
and would the meaning of นี่ in this sentence be about the same as it was when not followed by นา ?

Clearly, this นี่ cannot be replaced with เนี่ย.
DonSena

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 am

DonSena wrote:So, then, to understand correctly, นี่ in ...

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

... is the first-position sentence particle นี่, with variants นิ่ and, as you indicate, หนิ.

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

For instance, would ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่นา be acceptable to the native Thai ear,
and would the meaning of นี่ in this sentence be about the same as it was when not followed by นา ?

I think that I should quote the book from which those examples come, with my attempt at explaining the meaning.
คำพวก นี่ เนียใช้ในประโยคแจ้งให้ทราบ มักใช้ในการโต้แย้งกับอีกฝ่ายหนึ่ง

ตัวอย่าง 1. ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่ ,
2. เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่
3. เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่

These examples would be familiar to native speakers I suppose but we have to try to guess the context.
I take it that they all contradict some assertion made by the other person.
In 1. Her daughter feels that it is ....
I am also her daughter...
2. Then I had to take a telling off.
He had already told me off.
3. You weren't in last week.
I was here all day on Sunday.

To the English we would add tones raise and lower the volume etc. and I was tempted to try to show it but gave up since they are rather individual.

I am probably wrong so would welcome a discussion.

A Thai friend remarked to me once while visiting England that we have very complex tones, he mimicked my very young nephew calling his mother: 'mum' in three syllables หมาอา่อา๊ม , in Thai perhaps that is แม่จ๋า
Tgeezer

Postby tach.skypethaiteacher » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 pm

DonSena wrote:
DonSena wrote:. เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่ ไม่ได้ไปไหน

"นี่" here in the third sentence actually has the same function as those in the first two sentences, it is not the adverb "นี่" (ที่นี่). You can say "ผมก็อยู่ที่นี่นี่ ไม่ได้ไปไหน" but again, like I said before, in real life we pronounce this word as "หนิ" so it would be "ผมก็อยู่ที่นี่หนิ ไม่ได้ไปไหน". And, I'm talking about "นี่" in the context of arguing back only. Please do not get confused with "นี่" or "เนี่ย" used in other contexts. "นี่" used in this context (to argue back) cannot be replaced with "เนี่ย".

The difference between "นี่" and "เนี่ย" (in the context where they are interchangeable) is that "เนี่ย" sounds more informal and it is more emotional as well. For example, in the sentence I said in my video "เมื่อไหร่จะมาเนี่ย" (in the context of waiting for a bus which never seems to come), the particle "เนี่ย" help the speaker express her annoyance more than if she would say "เมื่อไหร่จะมานี่" (in real life, people don't really say "เมื่อไหร่จะมานี่" or ".....นี่" when they're emotional). And in spoken language, "เนี่ย" is definitely more frequently used.

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

"1C: นี่ or นิ่ ‘Take note of, or notice, this thing. I have this point to make.’ (Listener is usually not assumed to be familiar with the situation.)

"In the use of either นี่ or น่ะ (from 1B above), speaker draws attention to something that is not considered to be brand-new, or only now relevant, but usually something that has been true (at least in the mind of the speaker) for some time.

ค่ะ is a position-three particle that refers back to the speaker’s identity as a female."

I sense that นี่ as illustrated above is somewhat argumentative and possibly corresponds to the use of นี่ in your three examples.

Could นี่ in

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

You understand everything correctly, Khun Don :)
นี่ (or หนิ in spoken language) and นี่นา (or นี่หน่า in spoken language) have the same usage :D
You can change นี่ in all these following 3 sentences to นี่นา and it would still have the same meaning :)

ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่ -> ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่นา
เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ -> เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่นา
เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่ -> เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่นา
ก็ไม่มีใครชวนดิฉันนี่ -> ก็ไม่มีใครชวนดิฉันนี่นา

Likewise, you can change นี่นา in all these 2 sentences to นี่ as well :)

ก็เขารู้จักกันอยู่แล้วนี่นา -> ก็เขารู้จักกันอยู่แล้วนี่
ก็มันจะถูกกระจกนี่นา -> ก็มันจะถูกกระจกนี่

(^3^)
Yuki Tachaya, lingua.quinze@gmail.com
Visit my website and learn more Thai: www.pickup-thai.com
Free Lessons on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/pickupthai
tach.skypethaiteacher

Postby DonSena » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:08 am

DonSena wrote: ". เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่ ไม่ได้ไปไหน

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

Could นี่ in

เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ and

You understand everything correctly, Khun Don :)
นี่ (or หนิ in spoken language) and นี่นา (or นี่หน่า in spoken language) have the same usage :D
You can change นี่ in all these following 3 sentences to นี่นา and it would still have the same meaning :)

ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่ -> ฉันเป็นลูกแม่เหมือนกันนี่นา
เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่ -> เขามาว่าฉันก่อนนี่นา
เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่ -> เมื่อวันอาทิตย์ ผมก็อยู่นี่นา
ก็ไม่มีใครชวนดิฉันนี่ -> ก็ไม่มีใครชวนดิฉันนี่นา

Likewise, you can change นี่นา in all these 2 sentences to นี่ as well :)

ก็เขารู้จักกันอยู่แล้วนี่นา -> ก็เขารู้จักกันอยู่แล้วนี่
ก็มันจะถูกกระจกนี่นา -> ก็มันจะถูกกระจกนี่
(^3^)

ขอขคุณมากครับคุณ Tachaya
ผมชื่นชมที่ท่านอุดส่าห์ตรวดสอบผลวิจัยและการศึกษาของผม
พร้อมเสนอคำติชมที่มีปะรโยชแก่ผมอย่างไม่น้อยนะครับ
DonSena

Postby Mskedi » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Tachaya -- thank you so much for that video! My husband tried to explain some of the particles to me once, but because it's just natural to him, his explanations weren't very clear (except for วะ which I can't just go around saying all the time :p). Everything I'd read called นะ a "softener" which wasn't very helpful, but after your video I feel like I can use it and others with much more confidence. :)
Beginner
Mskedi

Previous

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech