thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

The Uses of "ให้"

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: The Uses of "ให้"

Postby pensive » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:33 am

I won't follow you. The RID itself does not agree. For example,

ให้: อนุญาต เช่น ฉันให้เขาไปเที่ยว

The full entry is

. มอบ เช่น ให้ช่อดอกไม้เป็นรางวัล, สละ เช่น ให้ชีวิตเป็นทาน, อนุญาต
เช่น ฉันให้เขาไปเที่ยว; เป็นคำช่วยกริยา บอกความบังคับหรืออวยชัยให้พร
เป็นต้น เช่น แม่บอกให้ลูกไปนอน ขอให้เจริญรุ่งเรือง ขอให้เดินทางโดย
สวัสดิภาพ แต่งตัวให้สวย ๆ นะ. (กฎ) . ชื่อสัญญาซึ่งบุคคลคนหนึ่ง
เรียกว่า ผู้ให้โอนทรัพย์สินของตนให้โดยเสน่หาแก่บุคคลอีกคนหนึ่ง
เรียกว่า ผู้รับ และผู้รับยอมรับเอาทรัพย์สินนั้น
pensive

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:34 pm

pensive wrote:I won't follow you. The RID itself does not agree. For example,

ให้: อนุญาต เช่น ฉันให้เขาไปเที่ยว

The full entry is

. มอบ เช่น ให้ช่อดอกไม้เป็นรางวัล, สละ เช่น ให้ชีวิตเป็นทาน, อนุญาต
เช่น ฉันให้เขาไปเที่ยว; เป็นคำช่วยกริยา บอกความบังคับหรืออวยชัยให้พร
เป็นต้น เช่น แม่บอกให้ลูกไปนอน ขอให้เจริญรุ่งเรือง ขอให้เดินทางโดย
สวัสดิภาพ แต่งตัวให้สวย ๆ นะ. (กฎ) . ชื่อสัญญาซึ่งบุคคลคนหนึ่ง
เรียกว่า ผู้ให้โอนทรัพย์สินของตนให้โดยเสน่หาแก่บุคคลอีกคนหนึ่ง
เรียกว่า ผู้รับ และผู้รับยอมรับเอาทรัพย์สินนั้น

Very wise of you I am probably wrong anyway. :lol:
Tgeezer

Postby pensive » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:39 pm

You do know a lot of Thai, though. I wonder if you are able to explain ให้ชีวิตเป็นทาน?
pensive

Postby David and Bui » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:38 pm

pensive wrote:You do know a lot of Thai, though. I wonder if you are able to explain ให้ชีวิตเป็นทาน?

For a parallel constructions, see http://www.thai-language.com/id/222361 and http://www.thai-language.com/id/222368
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:34 pm

pensive wrote:You do know a lot of Thai, though. I wonder if you are able to explain ให้ชีวิตเป็นทาน?

I don't think that I can translate this out of context, I don't know that much!
It could be a common phrase like, 'devote one's life to good works' . Knowing the words helps, if it is a well known phrase then a native speaker knows, but if not, without context it must be a guess.

I will go for 'devote life to good works'; life is the gift.

As with my attempt at explaining those three examples; I gave up because you weren't interested in the context.
For instance if ให้ is อนุญาต > ยินยอม, ยอมให้, ตกลง. How does that work; one student to another?
Whatever, we have spent ages discussing something which is not important, mum speaks; kid goes to bed, teacher sets an example, one student helps another with homework. None of this would be without some context and those circumstances would provide the proper translation. Even English speakers don't agree, how could we possibly agree in a foreign language, unless it were นกบิน we were looking at, but even then you could ask, why are you saying that? The bird flies, birds fly.
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am

Now that we are back in Houston, I have access to another Thai language text, "ชนิดของคำในภาษาไทย: การวิเคราะห์ทวงวากยสัมพันธ์" ("Parts of Speech in Thai: A Syntactic Analysis") by Amara Prasithrathsint, December 2010, ISBN 978-616-551-259-6, A.S.P. Publishers, Bangkok, 250 baht.

This text analyzes the word ให้ into four different usages and provides examples of each (page 82) (the parts of speech characterizations are hers; the translations are mine):

1. verb. "รัฐบาลให้เสรีภาพแก่ผู้สื่อข่าว" ("The government granted freedom to news reporters." "The government allowed freedom of the press.)
2. verb. "อย่าให้เราและประชาชนคิดว่าจะรอรับผลตอบแทน" ("Do not allow us and the people think that [you] are expecting to be rewarded." "Do not let us and the people at large think that they will wait to receive their just due.")
3. adverb. "ทำไม่ได้ ก็เอามา ฉันจะทำให้เอง ("If you can't do it, bring it here. I'll do it for you.")
4. preposition. "เรื่องนี้สร้างความไม่พึงพอใจให้ทุกผ่าย" ("This issue creates dissatisfaction for all parties [involved]." "This answer satisfies no one.")

Any thoughts?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby DonSena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:00 am

David and Bui wrote:Now that we are back in Houston, I have access to another Thai language text, "ชนิดของคำในภาษาไทย: การวิเคราะห์ทวงวากยสัมพันธ์" ("Parts of Speech in Thai: A Syntactic Analysis") by Amara Prasithrathsint, December 2010, ISBN 978-616-551-259-6, A.S.P. Publishers, Bangkok, 250 baht.

This text analyzes the word ให้ into four different usages and provides examples of each (page 82) (the parts of speech characterizations are hers; the translations are mine):

1. verb. "รัฐบาลให้เสรีภาพแก่ผู้สื่อข่าว" ("The government granted freedom to news reporters." "The government allowed freedom of the press.)
2. verb. "อย่าให้เราและประชาชนคิดว่าจะรอรับผลตอบแทน" ("Do not allow us and the people think that [you] are expecting to be rewarded." "Do not let us and the people at large think that they will wait to receive their just due.")
3. adverb. "ทำไม่ได้ ก็เอามา ฉันจะทำให้เอง ("If you can't do it, bring it here. I'll do it for you.")
4. preposition. "เรื่องนี้สร้างความไม่พึงพอใจให้ทุกผ่าย" ("This issue creates dissatisfaction for all parties [involved]." "This answer satisfies no one.")

Any thoughts?

I copied this exerpt from page one of this same thread:

3) As an auxiliary occurring in the fourth relative position of auxiliaries following the main verb, ให้ indicates that the action was performed with altruistic intent on the part of the doer of the action.

In เมียให้ผมนวดขาให้, the trailing ให้ indicates that the massaging is to be done by me for her benefit. Likewise:
เด็กๆ พากันเด็ดดอกไม้ให้ indicates that the picking of the flowers by the kids was not for the kids themselves, but for some altruistic motive -- for some unnamed beneficiary:

Also in fourth position after the main verb is เอา, which says that the action is for the benefit of the subject:
เด็กๆ พากันเด็ดดอกไม้เอา 'The kids all went out and picked themselves some flowers.' Notice how the use of เอา here contrasts with ให้ in the same position.

4) As a conjunction, ให้ indicates that the action of the clause introduced by ให้ is deliberate. or "on purpose":
พวกเด็กชายโยนลูกหินให้นกตาย 'The boys threw rocks at the bird, trying to kill it (in the hopes of killing it, though they might not have actually killed it).'
Compare: พวกเด็กชายโยนลูกหินเอานกตาย 'The boys threw rocks, killing a bird. (incidentally, possibly not intending to)'
DonSena

Previous

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech