thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Point of view.

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Point of view.

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:45 pm

I was reading the definition of ปล่อง; I know that it is 'a hole' but I was trying to make the definition fit. ช่องหรือรูที่ทะลุขึ้นจากพื้นดิน เช่นปล่องงู ปล่องหนู that was confusing. It pierces up from the surface of the earth. Does anyone else feel that a hole in the ground comes up? I feel that it goes down.
It reminds me of arguing with a Thai whether the water was coming into the pool or out of the side of the pool, I can't remember now what my view was.
The rest of the definition is a chimney then it says that caves have ปล่อง which helped.
I used to think that ปล่อง in a tree of the นกเงือก referred to the hole but no, I now see that it loosely fits the definition of chimney.
There are other adjustments to a Thai point of view which I hope I am manageing to make.
Tgeezer

Re: Point of view.

Postby cnancy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:41 am

Tgeezer wrote:I was reading the definition of ปล่อง; I know that it is 'a hole' but I was trying to make the definition fit. ช่องหรือรูที่ทะลุขึ้นจากพื้นดิน เช่นปล่องงู ปล่องหนู that was confusing. It pierces up from the surface of the earth. Does anyone else feel that a hole in the ground comes up? I feel that it goes down.
It reminds me of arguing with a Thai whether the water was coming into the pool or out of the side of the pool, I can't remember now what my view was.
The rest of the definition is a chimney then it says that caves have ปล่อง which helped.
I used to think that ปล่อง in a tree of the นกเงือก referred to the hole but no, I now see that it loosely fits the definition of chimney.
There are other adjustments to a Thai point of view which I hope I am manageing to make.

**Normally Thai use รูงู รูหนู(hole) NOT use ปล่องงู ปล่องหนู
ปล่อง mean shaft ; funnel ; vent( เช่น ปล่องไฟ bplòng fai. chimney ; smokestack ; flue. ปล่องควัน bplòng kwan)

nan
cnancy

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:19 am

cnancy wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:I was reading the definition of ปล่อง; I know that it is 'a hole' but I was trying to make the definition fit. ช่องหรือรูที่ทะลุขึ้นจากพื้นดิน เช่นปล่องงู ปล่องหนู that was confusing. It pierces up from the surface of the earth. Does anyone else feel that a hole in the ground comes up? I feel that it goes down.

**Normally Thai use รูงู รูหนู(hole) NOT use ปล่องงู ปล่องหนู
ปล่อง mean shaft ; funnel ; vent( เช่น ปล่องไฟ bplòng fai. chimney ; smokestack ; flue. ปล่องควัน bplòng kwan)

nan

Thanks, I took those from my 2525 edition of the RID.
I am not sure if I am alone in my perspective since no other non Thais seem to find ช่องหรือรูที่ทะลุขึ้นจากพื้นดิน 'a space or hole which comes beyond the surface of the earth' strange. But that is the problem with reading Thai rather than English; if I looked up ปล่อง and found; hole, shaft, chimney etc. I wouldn't have a problem but I feel that I wouldn't be seeing it from the correct perspective.
With advanced translation I find that understanding Thai is more useful than mentally reading English.
Tgeezer

Postby tod-daniels » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:15 am

Sometimes here (at least for me ;) ) it's almost as if things are looked at in a reverse perspective from how I (an American) would look at it or describe it.

From my perspective holes go down into the ground, they don't come up from it :o . No matter what animal made the "hole" they start above ground and dig DOWN :) . That is unless it's an earth worm I guess. .. :lol:

Still I didn't even know that word, so thanx,

I'm tryin' to do five "new words a day".

I'm nearly there, just another gazzilion words and I'll have this language licked for sure! :?
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby pensive » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:59 pm

I think that the point was that, as a "chimney", it would go "up" in either language. There were probably too many words around this simple idea.
pensive

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:51 pm

pensive wrote:I think that the point was that, as a "chimney", it would go "up" in either language. There were probably too many words around this simple idea.

Brilliant; that shows the value of a forum. I said that I knew that it was a hole, I even mentioned the nest of a นกเงือก which should have told me that we were not talking about the hole but the space and as you rightly say it is vertical.
I should have translated จาก as a preposition too.
ทะลุขึ้นจากพื้นดิน read backwards means that it comes out of the earth and it pierces the earth vertically; that is where snakes and mice live. The same explanation is given when it comes from a cave; ช่องที่ทะลุขึ้นจากถ้ำ: comes up from a cave.
You may say that if I simply went to this sites dictionary all would be clear! Well at last I shall now cross check here after I think that I know the word.
Tgeezer

Postby cnancy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 am

Sometime ปล่อง or รู in Thai word can use many varities.That's up to sentence to situation.If you have any question about that you can ask me. :)

nan
cnancy

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech