thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Personal pronouns - my struggle

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: Personal pronouns - my struggle

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:28 am

tod-daniels wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:I hope that by adopting the 'KISS' method you mean to follow Nan's suggestions.
My impression is that Tod is on a crusade to persuade people that he is as good as any man by eschewing polite Thai. Where he does 'crack' and show respect he appears to do so grudgingly by using the the noncommittal English word 'Boss'!
That is anything but simple in my opinion.

"Tgeezer"; honestly I don't know what you're on about. :shock: :o

I also don't know how my choice of pronouns could be anything other than simple :) . I mean sheesh, I only use FIVE :lol: (of the myriad of them out there to choose from)!
I, me - เรา
he, she (third person)- เขา
you (male) - แก
you (female) - เธอ
deferential address - บอสส์

I have only had a very few times where the choice was less than optimal in the eyes of the thai I was addressing :oops: . Still I never had it work against me or get in the way with me accomplishing what ever I was tryin' to do.. ;)

I will relate one more "fox-paw" (faux pas) in interacting with thaiz; :?

I was at Immigrations getting information on a visa extension I had no experience with. The paper explaining it was broken down into ข้อ's or "clauses or points" of what the criteria were. Every time the officer explained one, if I understood it, I'd say "เออ" - which according to Thai language dot com is; a particle indicating impolite exclamation of agreement and assent used among close friends only, Yeah.

After the forth ข้อ and the forth เออ by me the officer had enough and said in thai "Mister Tod, err is not polite." I asked her what would be better? She said ครับ is the polite answer if a male speaker understands. So the next ข้อ she explained to me I dutifully said ครัชช (pronounced more as "crutch"), using the over the top ภาษาวัยรุ่น version so prevalent today.. She paused, rolled her eyes, looked at me and said "Tod you can say errr." Go figure.. I guess I missed that "impolite" and "used among close friends only" caveat, because I use it all the time! :lol:

Mine are only three. You have adopted a position in Thai society which has been successful for you, you may be particularly charming and things would have run smoothly for you in any case but t is not sound advice for the majority of learners.

Boss is so odd that I expect there are many ways it would be received. The best is that they misinterpreted it as pure English. เออ I would say is impolite more because it is more of a grunt than a word, that you would choose it is eccentric. คุณ and ครับ are preferable in my opinion.
Tgeezer

Postby ttapp » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:33 am

it's depends who you talking to and what your style of talking

talking to friends: I would address myself เรา and my friend เธอ (for group of friends พวกเธอ) could be use to call any friends even close friends though.

talking to close friends: I sometimes address myself เรา and my friend แก (for group of friends พวกแก). If you use แก to someone you don't really know it would be very rude but among friends it give a sense of closeness.Teenager do like to use this word a lot, some older people do, some think we are rude but that how we really speak. if your friend use แก to you then you can just use แก to call them back too.

talking to parents: I will use my nickname to address myself most of the time. It give both sense of closeness and polite. for example my nickname's Pat
แพทว่าทำแบบนี้ดีกว่า , เดี๋ยวแพทขึ้นไปหยิบของมาให้ เป็นต้น

Talking to teacher: If you are younger for girl would address themselves หนู for boys ผม. You can address yourself your nickname too if you close to that teacher just like you talking to your parents to give a close feeling.

talking to children: it's depends how older are you you can address yourself พี่ if your age is not much older than they are. some quite older people call themselves พี่ too because they don't want to appear so old. Other than that you could call yourself น้า ป้า ลุง ยาย ปู่ according to your age and could call the children หนู or น้อง if your age is not far apart or you could even call their nickname.

talking to older people you don't really know: you should talk to them with respect. I normally address myself as หนู and If I were boys I'll address myself ผม. You address them according to whatever their age appear to be..could be พี่ คุณป้า คุณลุง คุณน้า คุณยาย คุณปู่ but I suggest to address woman around middle age or much older you shouldn't call them คุณป้า because they'd feel they're old... they just don't like that word much. I'd address them คุณน้า even though it means the same as ป้า but it appear more polite. But if your age is not far from them just call them พี่ is preferable.

For me I think to use คุณ to address is a bit strange in our sense since we don't really use it that much. It's too formal but if you are foreigners, it's okay. We will understand it anyway. Most people will adore you more if you can talk like the way they talk because it give more sense of informal and closeness.
ttapp

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:23 am

Good advice and thanks for your time.
Tgeezer

Postby Tomke__987 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for your reply. :)
Tomke__987

Previous

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech