thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Expanded: The Syntax of Thai Sentence Particles

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Expanded: The Syntax of Thai Sentence Particles

Postby DonSena » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:07 am

The Codaphrase in Thai Syntax, which discusses the ordered arrangement of up to four clause-final sentence particles, has now undergone an expansion.

Numerous new examples illustrate the more subtle differences among the variants of two of the most common particles, สิ and นะ, both of which occur in the second relative position of the codaphrase. Nearly all new examples are credited to นววรรณ พันธุเมธา in her ไวยากรณ์ไทย.
Attachments
CodaphraseTH.docx
Clause-Final Sentence Particles: How They're Arranged
(152.29 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by DonSena on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonSena

Re: Expanded: The Syntax of Thai Sentence Particles

Postby mangkorn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks, Don. Not everyone cares about these fine points, but some of us do appreciate it. Knowing the parts of speech - and where they should go in the proper construction of sentences - is vital, to me anyway. People fail to learn non-native languages fluently when they think that only vocabulary is necessary. Countless people think they can speak Spanish, for example, but they can't, because they never bother to learn and master the subjunctive mood, which is absolutely necessary to speak the language properly. Cheers for this kind of contribution that you offer.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby acloudmovingby » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks Don! I want to thank you for your original article on Thai codaphrases posted on this. It's helped me lot over the years, especially before I learned IPA and could read the original thai reference grammar. Having linguistically oriented veterans explain the finer points of grammar can be helpful. There's no substitute for being exposed to the language over and over again, but sometimes a good grammatical explanation can help crystallize a certain understanding you've carried with you, or can even open you up to a way of understanding Thai that you had missed before.

I'm sure your enjoyment of Thai grammar is satisfaction enough for you, but sharing your learning with the community can really help Thai learners of all levels. When I first read your text about Thai codaphrases two years ago when I was much less competent in Thai, it became like my Bible. Everywhere's I went I would take it out and try to figure out which particles people were using and why. I still found it inadequate at times to explain the full diversity of sentences people were saying, but that could just as well been because of my stubborn mind. Hopefully this revised edition will open up new understandings.

Thanks Don!!
acloudmovingby

Postby DonSena » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:16 am

acloudmovingby wrote:Thanks Don! I want to thank you for your original article on Thai codaphrases posted on this. It's helped me lot over the years, especially before I learned IPA and could read the original thai reference grammar. Having linguistically oriented veterans explain the finer points of grammar can be helpful. There's no substitute for being exposed to the language over and over again, but sometimes a good grammatical explanation can help crystallize a certain understanding you've carried with you, or can even open you up to a way of understanding Thai that you had missed before.

I'm sure your enjoyment of Thai grammar is satisfaction enough for you, but sharing your learning with the community can really help Thai learners of all levels. When I first read your text about Thai codaphrases two years ago when I was much less competent in Thai, it became like my Bible. Everywhere's I went I would take it out and try to figure out which particles people were using and why. I still found it inadequate at times to explain the full diversity of sentences people were saying, but that could just as well been because of my stubborn mind. Hopefully this revised edition will open up new understandings.

Thanks Don!!

Thanks for the fine comments.
I think that much of the confusion arises from the similarity of certain particles with other particles that occur in different positions within the codaphrase -- น่ะ, เนี่ยะ, ละ and อ่ะ,for instance, each of which occurs in more than one position, but with a different meaning in each position.
Also, in writing the particles at the end of their sentences, I observe that native Thais often are very inattentive to correct tone marks -- ละ/ล่ะ, for instance. I even seen ค่ะ at the end of questions.
DonSena

Postby DonSena » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:24 am

mangkorn wrote:Thanks, Don. Not everyone cares about these fine points, but some of us do appreciate it. Knowing the parts of speech - and where they should go in the proper construction of sentences - is vital, to me anyway. People fail to learn non-native languages fluently when they think that only vocabulary is necessary. Countless people think they can speak Spanish, for example, but they can't, because they never bother to learn and master the subjunctive mood, which is absolutely necessary to speak the language properly. Cheers for this kind of contribution that you offer.

Appreciate the great comment.
I think that you're right about the blithe assumptions that some people make when they go about the task of mastering another language. They often don't realize that the other language is based on a unique system in its own right. Not only do they dismiss the subjunctive mood, they outrightly neglect the conditional mood as well -- much less learn how sentence clauses using verbs conjugated in the two companion moods are paired together.
DonSena

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech