thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Use of 'kwam' ความ

The structure of Thai sentences

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby telstrareg » Sat May 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi all. First post here.

I understand that to ask someone if they are happy, you would say:

mee kwam sook mai
(have content happy?) or (have happniness?)

Here the kwam changes the verb to be happy into the abstract concept of happiness. However would it still be correct and natural to say:

sook mai
(happy?)
telstrareg

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby mangkorn » Sun May 04, 2008 7:30 am

Do that and you might be asking if they're ripe, (or cooked)...
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby David and Bui » Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 am

What Mangkorn is pointing out is that there are two Thai words with similar sounds but which are spelled differently.

The word "สุข" means "to be happy; be content; be satisfied; be pleased" while the word "สุก" means "to ripen; be ripe; be mature; grow ripe" or "to be cooked; done".

Others, I suspect, will comment on the noun and verb form use of the word "สุข" in Thai. Good question.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby mangkorn » Sun May 04, 2008 10:17 am

I would also point out that instead of trying to create sentences in Thai according to something that one has formed in his own language, it is far better to say what Thai people commonly say.

(Also, "to be happy" is not an English verb: it's verb + adjective. In Thai, a "to be" verb is not used for transitory states of being.)

"Are you happy?" Simply: สบายดีไหม" (perhaps, มีความสุขไหม)

Others may correct me, but I think มีความสุขไหม is an awkward thing to ask of acquaintenances, in a casual setting; that's more fitting to ask a person with whom you have a somewhat intimate relationship.

Thinking about the concept of "happiness," it seems that "happy" in English covers just about everything from the mundane to the intensely profound. But, Thai language has many different ways to express distinct feelings of happiness - all depending on the context. I think there is a difference between the polite question "Are you (feeling) happy (at this moment)?' and the more invasive "Are you happy (with your life)?" In English, one might employ the same question, but not so in Thai, I don't think...

Cheers.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby mangkorn » Sun May 04, 2008 11:06 am

David and Bui wrote:What Mangkorn is pointing out is that there are two Thai words with similar sounds but which are spelled differently.

The word "สุข" means "to be happy; be content; be satisfied; be pleased" while the word "สุก" means "to ripen; be ripe; be mature; grow ripe" or "to be cooked; done".

Others, I suspect, will comment on the noun and verb form use of the word "สุข" in Thai. Good question.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be flippant. But a farang suddenly asking someone: "sook mai" would probably cause confusion, or blank nothingness in response...
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby David and Bui » Sun May 04, 2008 11:20 am

It seems to me that เป็นสุข [bpenM sookL] means "to be happy" as an attributive verb, and the word "เป็น" is used with an adjective in a manner similar to "เป็นหวัด" [bpenM watL], to have a cold.

Here is the entry from the Royal Institute Dictionary:

เป็นสุข ก. มีความสบายกายสบายใจ เช่น เขาถูกลอตเตอรี่รางวัลที่ ๑ เวลานี้จึงเป็นสุขมาก ประชาชนในประเทศนี้อยู่เย็นเป็นสุข เสมอหน้ากัน, โดยปริยายหมายความว่า ตาย เช่น ไหนๆ เขา ก็เป็นสุขไปแล้ว อโหสิให้เขาเถิด.

“bpenM sookL” verb. To be happy in both body and mind, for example, “he won first place in the lottery this time and this made him very happy”; “the people in this country are very happy and contented and they live in equality”; by implication this phrase also applies to contentment in death, for example, “he has achieved eternal bliss; please forgive him.”

(Please correct my translation if I have erred.) Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby mangkorn » Sun May 04, 2008 12:06 pm

David and Bui wrote:It seems to me that เป็นสุข [bpenM sookL] means "to be happy" as an attributive verb, and the word "เป็น" is used with an adjective in a manner similar to "เป็นหวัด" [bpenM watL], to have a cold.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

เป็นห่วง is another one, come to think of it.

But, then again, how many times have you actually heard someone say: ฉันเป็นสุข ?
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby mangkorn » Sun May 04, 2008 12:46 pm

When we endeavour to study languages (even our native ones), it is vital to follow parallel tracks: to explore all that is possible in the vast realm of construction; and to learn what is common for simple, direct communication (especially for beginners).

Consider someone trying to learn English:

"I'm thirsty, let's go to the 7-11."

"Aargh... avast, you scurvy dogs - if mine fate so wills that I am not to have my appointed vengeance on that cursed white whale this day, then I shall slake my blood thirst with a Coca-Cola and a yo-ho-ho and a bottle o' rum..."

Same message, really. :D

(Personally, I would stick with: สบายดีไหม)
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby David and Bui » Sun May 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Mangkorn,

How about that construction in the RID for "เป็นสุข" meaning "eternal bliss"? That I have never heard before; I guess I have not been paying enough attention to the monks' sermons during funerals.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Use of 'kwam' ความ

Postby simonbournemouth » Sun May 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Flicking through the Domnern Sathienpong dictionary I have noticed there are numerous entries where 'เป็น' is used with attributive verbs.

What I'm struggling to understand is how 'เป็น' can be used with some attributive words and not others.

For instance you can use 'เป็น' with 'เป็นสุข' but not with 'เป็นดีใจ'.

Do I have a valid point here or am I just confusing myself?

Thanks,

Simon.
simonbournemouth

Next

Return to Grammar, Syntax, and Parts-of-Speech