thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

The reduplication phenomenon

Aural and oral characteristics of the Thai language

The reduplication phenomenon

Postby luliber » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi, Being a "neophyte" in this site I have a question to ask corresponding to reduplication (a term that I have seen a couple of times) and that
I do not understand at all!!! even afer reading the explanations in the site!!! I am stubborn as a mule and REALLY would like to understand. Is there anyone gifted with patience, who could explain it clearly? I think that the word ธรรมดา is a good example of reduplication, isn't? Thanks a lot, have fun learning Thai! สวัสดีครับ Luliber.
luliber

Re: The reduplication phenomenon

Postby DonSena » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 pm

luliber wrote:Hi, Being a "neophyte" in this site I have a question to ask corresponding to reduplication (a term that I have seen a couple of times) and that
I do not understand at all!!! even afer reading the explanations in the site!!! I am stubborn as a mule and REALLY would like to understand. Is there anyone gifted with patience, who could explain it clearly? I think that the word ธรรมดา is a good example of reduplication, isn't? Thanks a lot, have fun learning Thai! สวัสดีครับ Luliber.

ธรรมดา is not a reduplication. A reduplication is a compounded word that repeats -- completely or partially -- the original word prior to compounding.

จริง 'true, real'; จริงๆ and จริงเจียว 'truly, really'; จริวจัง 'in earnest, in all seriousness';
เด็ก 'child'; เด็กๆ 'kids, children; วัน 'day'; เป็นวันๆไป 'from day to day'
ดี 'good'; ดีๆ 'very good'
สนุก 'to have fun, to be fun'; สนุกสนาน 'to be amused, to be generally happy'
ไปวัด 'go to the temple'; ไปวัดไปวา 'to go see the temples [and the like]'
DonSena

Postby Babblu » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Well, it could have been an *accident* - memorised as double 'c' instead of double 's'. Obviously there is a temptation to convert -ss- to -ts-, but it would take a good feeling for English to correct that to -ks-. Possibly there is some interference from 'access' - an 'assistant' can be one who grants or denies access.
Babblu

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:47 am

luliber wrote:Hi, Being a "neophyte" in this site I have a question to ask corresponding to reduplication (a term that I have seen a couple of times) and that

If reduplication refers to repeated words they just seem to add emphasis.
ธรรมดา ๆ would still be 'not unusual' but more so.
Sometimes they make a plural, ใคร ๆ ความนั้น ๆ
Examples make the best questions.
Tgeezer

Postby tod-daniels » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:28 am

Are we sure that the O/P is NOT asking about รอ หัน http://www.thai-language.com/id/205472?

Their example ธรรมดา uses the double for the sound.
OR
Are they asking about a consonant which ends one syllable and is voiced again as a stand alone consonant? :)
http://www.thai-language.com/ref/conson ... uplication

Their example ธรรมดา does this as well! ;)
ธรรมดา - ทั-มะ-ดา - tam daa or มหาวิทยาลัย - มะ-หา-วิ-ทะ-ยา-ลัย - má hǎa wít yaa lai..

I think the O/P needs to weigh back in as to what they mean concerning their definition of "reduplication" before posters can offer out a logical answer.

I think their use of the term has NOTHING to do with "word reduplication" and quite possibly nothing to do with รร - รอ หัน either..

Then again, what do I know... :lol:
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Long time no see. I expect David that lacking any boxer’s names questions you might need to shoot me down!
If there is anyone still here I think that I have the answer to “Why ร หัน ?
On Thai Visa a discussion developed around what appeared to me to be the ridiculous representation of Sanskrit Pali words used in English translations of Thai. Thais cannot say v, or B, ar, , วิหาร vihara สุวรรณภูมิ Suvarnabhumi etc. there are hundreds of examples.
Within Thailand this vulgar Pali/Sanskrit was acceptable but unlike Vulgar or Ecclesiastical Latin could not be understood by all the followers of Buddha (พุทธ) .
So when you see Suvarnabhumi it is not a phonetic spelling of Thai but the English representation of the Pali or Sanskrit word which more closely resembles the original or alternatively, because English is ubiquitous, is the accepted form of the word.

I made what I hope is a discovery whilst pondering my miss spelling of Dhamma, ธรรม the original has ‘ar’ of which Thai preserved half รร= ‘a’.

The reason for my original post was to discover how we should pronounce these words when speaking English and I have concluded that we should read the airport as Suvarnabhumi. The members of the Royal Academy would seem to agree with me.
I feel that I owe this to this site because as far as I know it has not been said before, I presume that linguists don’t see it worth mentioning.
There are more erudite ways of putting this but erudition is not my long suit,
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Return to Phonetics, Phonemics, Tone, Stress, Vowel Duration