thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

ได้ (dâi)

Thai words and their origins

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: ได้ (dâi)

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:00 am

Pirin wrote:I gave the first reply to this question about ได้ because your first reply does not include the second connotation of one of the sentences mentioned in the question.

You can see that I made no comment on your reply at all, which means that I didn't say that what you said was wrong. I should have suggested that you tell the person asking the question to provide related contexts so that the sentence is clearer to the reader.

I also gave another reply, just to give another connotation of another sentence mentioned in the question.

As for the other replies, which were deleted, they were the answers to your comments and questions. Once you say anything to imply that my attempt to answer your question are just rubbish, the bin is always available.

As a matter of fact, I never want to make any comments on anybody's replies (unless you speak unkindly to me or confidently make some unreasonable comments on what I write).

If I say something in this forum, it's just to add what others have not mentioned.

ขอโทษที่คำพูดของผมไม่เข้าหูPirin

As we now see the situation is that the poster knows the person and intends to meet them. When they meet he wants to express his pleasure that they know one another not that he is happy that they are meeting this time.
I have posted, could you comment?

To expand the discussion and hijack the thread, would it be useful to compare เจอ and รู้จัก in this situation, I think that รู้จักคุณ is better here.

If you were happy to have met because you wanted to borrow some money, which word would you use?
Tgeezer

Postby nakriian » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 am

Tgeezer, I do appreciate the replies. I am very confident Pirin can resolve this. So far, the most point on replies have been from Pirin. Pirin will be by later and follow up.
นักเรียน
nakriian

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:21 am

nakriian wrote:Tgeezer, I do appreciate the replies. I am very confident Pirin can resolve this. So far, the most point on replies have been from Pirin. Pirin will be by later and follow up.

So you mean "butt out", fair enough, but I don't think that Pirin knew what the context is and still doesn't, unless you confirm or deny what I have suggested it is.
Tgeezer

Postby pensive » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 am

You're bloody exasperating.

"That being said, can I say, ดีใจที่ได้เจอกันแล้ว (happy to have met you/ happy to meet you already)"
pensive

Postby Pirin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:34 am

pensive wrote:You're bloody exasperating.

"That being said, can I say, ดีใจที่ได้เจอกันแล้ว (happy to have met you/ happy to meet you already)"

Second time of writing this long reply, thanks to the hair trigger of iPad.
I exasperate you because I am frustrated that this forum is conducted in English, just as it would be if it were an English learning forum.
You ask me, but how will I know? I have no idea because apart from school books and the RID I have no exposure to Thai grammar.

I made a stab at it which makes sense to me.
"ดีใจ" เป็นประโยคไร้ประธาน ประธานเป็นผู้พูด
"ที่ได้เจอกันแลว" เป็นภาคบอกสาเหตุที่เกิดให้ความดีใจ
"ที่" เป็นคำบุพบท นำหน้ากริยา
"ได้" บอกว่าอาการตกมาเป็นของผู้พูด แล้วก็เกิดในอดีต
"เจอ" เป็นกริยา
"กัน" เป็นคำประกอบท้ายกริยาของผู้กระทำตั้งแต่สองคนขึ้นไป (that comes straight from the RID!)
"แล้ว" แสดงว่า อาการกระทำเสร็จสิ้น
ได้คิดว่า คำว่า มา ดีกว่าแล้ว เพราะ มา บอกว่าถาวะนั้นคือรู้จักกัน ยังมีตั้งแต่เริมถึงปจจุบัน

ผมไม่แน่ใจเกียวกับใช้คำอะไรดีกว่าคำอืน หรือการสร้างประโยคเพระไม่มีประสบการณ์พอเพียง

I think that what I wrote is understandable, a native speaker would notice that it is Thaigrit and amend it, adding those things which are necessary and omitting those which are not.
Tgeezer

Postby pensive » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:30 am

I do not know why you quoted me, when the sentence is from the OP, not from me. I simply repeated it because you had overposted a number of times, so much so that the origin of the thread had become lost. But as it is addressed to me, let me respond.

"ดีใจ" เป็นประโยคไร้ประธาน ประธานเป็นผู้พูด - OK
"ที่" เป็นคำบุพบท นำหน้ากริยา - No (and this for the thousandth time. One could equally write ที่ผมได้เจอกันแลว as ที่ได้เจอกันแลว)
"ได้" บอกว่าอาการตกมาเป็นของผู้พูด แล้วก็เกิดในอดีต - No, we are debating whether it indicates the past tense or whether it means "to get to..."
"เจอ" เป็นกริยา
"กัน" เป็นคำประกอบท้ายกริยาของผู้กระทำตั้งแต่สองคนขึ้นไป (that comes straight from the RID!)

So, you are not talking to the point of the thread, which is concerning the meaning of ได้, where is it is not at all clear that it indicates the past, in fact, it is more likely not to in this case.
Explaining your point in Thai adds nothing - you have simply translated the English words into Thai. I'd be surprised if Thai grammars described ที่ as a preposition as it behaves more like a conjunction in the present case. We have had this debate before and the meaning given to คำบุพบท is simply "word that comes before"; The English word "preposition", which appears to mean just this, in fact is has a more specific meaning.

So, thank you for restating your view, again, but we have all moved on.
pensive

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 am

pensive wrote:I do not know why you quoted me, when the sentence is from the OP, not from me. I simply repeated it because you had overposted a number of times, so much so that the origin of the thread had become lost. But as it is addressed to me, let me respond.

"ดีใจ" เป็นประโยคไร้ประธาน ประธานเป็นผู้พูด - OK
"ที่" เป็นคำบุพบท นำหน้ากริยา - No (and this for the thousandth time. One could equally write ที่ผมได้เจอกันแลว as ที่ได้เจอกันแลว)
"ได้" บอกว่าอาการตกมาเป็นของผู้พูด แล้วก็เกิดในอดีต - No, we are debating whether it indicates the past tense or whether it means "to get to..."
"เจอ" เป็นกริยา

So, you are not talking to the point of the thread, which is concerning the meaning of ได้, where is it is not at all clear that it indicates the past, in fact, it is more likely not to in this case.
Explaining your point in Thai adds nothing - you have simply translated the English words into Thai. I'd be surprised if Thai grammars described ที่ as a preposition as it behaves more like a conjunction in the present case. We have had this debate before and the meaning given to คำบุพบท is simply "word that comes before"; The English word "preposition", which appears to mean just this, in fact is has a more specific meaning.

So, thank you for restating your view, again, but we have all moved on.

Something of a tirade but never mind, you only think that you have moved on
Why don't you put my Thaigrit into proper Thai ? Then we will learn some sentence construction.
What about ผมเจอกัน contradictory isn't it, the subject is singular and the verb is plural.

What does 'get' mean to you? It means to be the owner of something to me. What is the grammatical status of 'to' in 'get to'?
I don't really want to learn a lot of jargon, just the essential grammar which Thai and English have in common, but if not, the Thai grammar alone will do, in fact I'd prefer that.
Tgeezer

Previous

Return to Vocabulary and Etymology