thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

มลทัศน์

Thai words and their origins

Moderator: acloudmovingby

มลทัศน์

Postby David and Bui » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Friends,

I wonder if I stumbled on a neologism in an article in Matichon Weekend regarding new construction along the Chao Phraya River. The first sentence is "หลายคนไม่ชอบอาคารสูงสองหลัง ริมแม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา . . . ฝั่งธนบุรี" (Many people don't like the two tall buildings on the banks of the Chao Phraya River on the Thonburi side."

Here is the key sentence: "ทำให้การสอนเรื่อง ปัญหามลทัศน์หรือมลภาวะทางสายตาง่ายขึ่น"
"[These buildings] more easily instruct us regarding the problems of eyesores or pollution in our line of sight."

The word มลทัศน์, which I can't find in the dictionaries I have, is easy enough to figure out. มล means "ความสกปรก, ความไม่บริสุทธิ์" (dirtiness or impurity) and ทัศน์ means "ความเห็น, การเห็น, เครื่องรู้เห็น, สิ่งที่เห็น, การแสดง . . . " (seeing, sight, the mechanism of sight, something which is seen or viewed, showing. . . "

There is a discussion on Thai Google regarding this word.

"มลทัศน์ (Visual Pollution) หรือเรียกว่า มลภาวะทางสายตาหรือทัศนอุจาด เป็นปัญหาสิ่งแวดล้อมในชุมชนเมืองที่เหมือนกับปัญหาน้ำเสีย อากาศเสีย เสียงดัง การจราจรคับคั่ง เป็นต้น ซึ่งปัญหาดังกล่าวมีผลกระทบต่อสุขภาพอนามัยจากการรับรู้ได้โดยการสูดกลิ่น การได้ยิน ในขณะที่การรับรู้ทางด้านมลทัศน์จะรับรู้ได้โดยการมอง (Visual Perception) ซึ่งไม่มีผลกระทบต่อร่างกาย แต่จะทำให้ภูมิทัศน์เมือง (Urban Landscape) ไม่มีความสวยงาม ไม่มีความเป็นระเบียบเรียบร้อยขององค์ประกอบของเมือง ได้แก่ อาคารและสิ่งปลูกสร้าง ระบบสาธารณูปโภค ซึ่งบริการและอำนวยความสะดวกต่อชุมชน รวมทั้งเฟอร์นิเจอร์บนถนน (Street Furniture) ป้ายโฆษณาและประชาสัมพันธ์บริเวณอาคารต่าง ๆ" http://guru.google.co.th/guru/thread?ti ... 4e9a30539d

Although "visual pollution" is a great English equivalent, I think when the term is applied to a specific or identifiable affront to the visual landscape we can use the term "eyesore".

BTW, I suspect that the pronunciation is "มน-ละ-ทัด"

What do you think?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: มลทัศน์

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 am

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

I wonder if I stumbled on a neologism in an article in Matichon Weekend regarding new construction along the Chao Phraya River. The first sentence is "หลายคนไม่ชอบอาคารสูงสองหลัง ริมแม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา . . . ฝั่งธนบุรี" (Many people don't like the two tall buildings on the banks of the Chao Phraya River on the Thonburi side."

Here is the key sentence: "ทำให้การสอนเรื่อง ปัญหามลทัศน์หรือมลภาวะทางสายตาง่ายขึ่น"
"[These buildings] more easily instruct us regarding the problems of eyesores or pollution in our line of sight."

The word มลทัศน์, which I can't find in the dictionaries I have, is easy enough to figure out. มล means "ความสกปรก, ความไม่บริสุทธิ์" (dirtiness or impurity) and ทัศน์ means "ความเห็น, การเห็น, เครื่องรู้เห็น, สิ่งที่เห็น, การแสดง . . . " (seeing, sight, the mechanism of sight, something which is seen or viewed, showing. . . "

There is a discussion on Thai Google regarding this word.

"มลทัศน์ (Visual Pollution) หรือเรียกว่า มลภาวะทางสายตาหรือทัศนอุจาด เป็นปัญหาสิ่งแวดล้อมในชุมชนเมืองที่เหมือนกับปัญหาน้ำเสีย อากาศเสีย เสียงดัง การจราจรคับคั่ง เป็นต้น ซึ่งปัญหาดังกล่าวมีผลกระทบต่อสุขภาพอนามัยจากการรับรู้ได้โดยการสูดกลิ่น การได้ยิน ในขณะที่การรับรู้ทางด้านมลทัศน์จะรับรู้ได้โดยการมอง (Visual Perception) ซึ่งไม่มีผลกระทบต่อร่างกาย แต่จะทำให้ภูมิทัศน์เมือง (Urban Landscape) ไม่มีความสวยงาม ไม่มีความเป็นระเบียบเรียบร้อยขององค์ประกอบของเมือง ได้แก่ อาคารและสิ่งปลูกสร้าง ระบบสาธารณูปโภค ซึ่งบริการและอำนวยความสะดวกต่อชุมชน รวมทั้งเฟอร์นิเจอร์บนถนน (Street Furniture) ป้ายโฆษณาและประชาสัมพันธ์บริเวณอาคารต่าง ๆ" http://guru.google.co.th/guru/thread?ti ... 4e9a30539d

Although "visual pollution" is a great English equivalent, I think when the term is applied to a specific or identifiable affront to the visual landscape we can use the term "eyesore".

What do you think?

Good find David and shows that Koon Pirin's direction is good and more fun than trying to make an English word fit the syntax.
It looks as though 'eyesore' is good since it shows a point of view more than a fact, one man's eyesore is another man's design. But 'pollution' also says this, more critical of the creator, saying that he is no better than someone who drops a fag-end. Also the other combination: ทัศอุจาด, อุจาด = น่าเกลียด น่าิาย อย่างที่ไม่ควรทำ, it would depend on context of course.
What about เครื่อง It refers to sets of things.
In: เครื่องรู้เห็น รู้เห็น is to know and understand the situation, so things which enable this; could it be 'features' in some context.
มนละ is the pronunciation from the tome.

I guess that there are no real answers without context so not good for those of anxious to communicate as soon as possible.
Tgeezer

Postby Sukiyaki » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 pm

I really wonder...
How many years have you been studying thai language huh?
Why you are so เก่ง huh?

I hope my English is better toooo.
วาจา ...บอกความคิด

เจตนา ...บอกจิตคิดประสงค์

คมคำ ...บอกค่าราคาคน

ใจตน ...บอกค่า ราคามี

sukiyaki thai-language July/7/2014
Sukiyaki

Postby Thomas » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 pm

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

The word มลทัศน์, which I can't find in the dictionaries I have, is easy enough to figure out....

What do you think?

A dictionary, Thai-language.com, provides an entry for มลทัศน์

http://www.thai-language.com/id/156910

Phonetic entry there is มน-ละ-ทัด.

Definition is visual pollution; eyesore; affront to the visual landscape

The way it can be found in this dictionary: Is that indicating that it is a term of a former edition of RID? Thus, eventually not a neologism but more a term endangered by extinction? Unsure. What do you think?

---

Edit: Or means it simply that David and Bui have added the term to Tl.com dictionary after discussing the term here :D
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Postby David and Bui » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:25 pm

An article published in 2529 (1986) by บัณฑิต จุลาสัย:

ชื่อเรื่อง: การศึกษาปัญหามลทัศน์ในชุมชนเมือง
Article title: Visual pollution problem in Thailand
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pepa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:39 am

I would expect the pronunciation to be มน-ทัด just as มลทิน is มน-ทิน
Pepa

Postby David and Bui » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40 am

Pepa wrote:I would expect the pronunciation to be มน-ทัด just as มลทิน is มน-ทิน

Good question! I analogized it to the RID's "มลพิษ [มนละพิด]". The three volume "Dictionary of New Words" does not seen to contain this neologism.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:11 am

Pepa wrote:I would expect the pronunciation to be มน-ทัด just as มลทิน is มน-ทิน

มลทัศน์ and มลทิน are pronounced differently bacause มลทัศน์ is originally Pali and Sanskrit whereas มลทิน is originally Khmer.

RID:
(Thai)
มลทิน [มนทิน] . ความมัวหมอง, ความด่างพร้อย, ความไม่บริสุทธิ์. (. มนฺทิล).

=>
1. มลทัศน์
<=
มล- + ทัศน์
RID:
มล, มล- [มน, มนละ-] . ความมัวหมอง, ความสกปรก, ความไม่บริสุทธิ์; สนิม, เหงื่อไคล. . มัวหมอง, สกปรก, ไม่บริสุทธิ์. (., .).
ทัศน-, ทัศน์, ทัศนะ, ทัศนา [ทัดสะนะ-, ทัด, ทัดสะ-] . ความเห็น, การเห็น, เครื่องรู้เห็น, สิ่งที่เห็น, การแสดง, ทรรศนะ ก็ใช้. (. ทสฺสน; . ทรฺศน).

2. มลทิน
<=
មន្ទិល
(Khmer)
http://dictionary.tovnah.com/?q=%E1%9E% ... ch&dic=all
Pirin

Return to Vocabulary and Etymology