thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Help with the word "Wai"

Thai words and their origins

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Help with the word "Wai"

Postby Vatana » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:01 am

Dear all,

I heard the movie star mentioned in their play that "ผมช่วยชีวิตคุณไว้" but I am not sure about the meaning of the word ไว้ and how it is spelled at all. Could anyone help with this. This is the word I heard from the movie "ร้อยเล่ห์เสน่ห์ลวง".

Regards,
Vatana
Vatana

Re: Help with the word "Wai"

Postby David and Bui » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:06 am

Here is one explanation; I suspect that you will receive several.

The word "ไว้" in Thai is one of the class of words sometimes referred to as "aspect markers" or "aspect auxiliaries". A fairly complete list of aspect markers can be found at http://www.thai-language.com/id/590262. Some of these words are placed before verbs (pre-verbal) and some are placed after verbs (post-verbal).

The aspect auxiliary ไว้ is a "post-verbal" auxiliary which indicates a completed event which is considered beneficial in the future. (See "A Reference Grammar of Thai", Shoichi Iwasaki and Preeya Ingkaphirom, ISBN 0-521-65085-2). The usage of ไว้ at the end of a sentence or clause is very common in both Thai conversation and Thai writing.

For many examples of this type of construction, see http://www.thai-language.com/id/133119#def2 and the related sample sentences.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Vatana » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Dear Mr. David,

I understand the word "ไว้" in the context of "คิดไว้" which is the same like Khmer context and it means that "think in advance". But in the sentence "ช่วยชีวิตคุณไว้" it is still not understandable even in Khmer context.

I will try to search more about it to understand it profoundly.

Regards,
Vatana
Vatana

Postby Pirin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:18 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Vatana » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:04 am

Dear sir,
Thank you very much for this. I understand the context you explain about រក្សាទុក already. What I don't understand is that if the word ไว้ is used in the sentence ผมช่วยขีวิตคุณไว้ it sounds strange since it cannot be translated as ខ្ញុំជួយជីវិតអ្នកទុក. But I have talked to another Thai lady and she told me that in the sentence ผมช่วยขีวิตคุณไว้ the word ไว้ is not translated.

Regards,
Vatana
Vatana

Postby Pirin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:10 am

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Vatana » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 am

ขอบใจคุณ Pirin และทุกคน!
Vatana

Postby DonSena » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:58 am

Vatana wrote:Dear all,

I heard the movie star mentioned in their play that "ผมช่วยชีวิตคุณไว้" but I am not sure about the meaning of the word ไว้ and how it is spelled at all. Could anyone help with this. This is the word I heard from the movie "ร้อยเล่ห์เสน่ห์ลวง".

Regards,
Vatana

Following the main verb – say -- ช่วยชีวิต -- there are four ordered positions of auxiliaries that describe an extension of the meaning of the main verb.

Of the four positions, at most only three are ever filled at one time by Thai speakers. These post-main-verb auxiliaries are actually postpositions that take the main verb as co-constituent: main verb … postposition.

In the third position is either ไว้ or เสีย. Selection of either of these two post-verbal auxiliaries excludes the other.

Selection of either ไว้ or เสีย indicates that the action is in a completed state, either temporarily for some future purpose (ไว้), or done once and for all (เสีย).

ทิ้งจักรยานไว้ที่นั่นซิ 'Leave the bike there [for some future purpose].'
ทิ้งจักรยานเสียที่นั่นซิ 'Leave the bike there [to get rid of it].'

ผมช่วยชีวิตคุณไว้ means: I saved your life [for some good purpose you'll devote it to].

ไว้ is often combined with a preceding เอา to give เอาไว้ and with ทิ้ง to give ทิ้งไว้ .

The meaning of ไว้, เอาไว้ or ทิ้งไว้ is : "effect of action of main verb preserved for time being, but with some future purpose in mind":

ฉันเด็ดดอกไม้เอาไว้ใส่แจกัน I'm picking flowers to put in a vase,
ผมจอดรถทิ้งไว้ข้างหน้า I've got the car parked out front.
ฉันตั้งใจไว้แล้วว่า จะมาหาคุณ I had already intended to come to see you.
จำไว้ให้ดีนะ Remember it well, will you?
DonSena

Postby Pirin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:31 am

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby DonSena » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Pirin wrote:
DonSena wrote:
Following the main verb – say -- ช่วยชีวิต -- there are four ordered positions of auxiliaries that describe an extension of the meaning of the main verb.

Of the four positions, at most only three are ever filled at one time by Thai speakers. These post-main-verb auxiliaries are actually postpositions that take the main verb as co-constituent: main verb … postposition.

In the third position is either ไว้ or เสีย. Selection of either of these two post-verbal auxiliaries excludes the other.

Selection of either ไว้ or เสีย indicates that the action is in a completed state, either temporarily for some future purpose (ไว้), or done once and for all (เสีย).

ทิ้งจักรยานไว้ที่นั่นซิ 'Leave the bike there [for some future purpose].'
ทิ้งจักรยานเสียที่นั่นซิ 'Leave the bike there [to get rid of it].'
ผมช่วยชีวิตคุณไว้ means: I saved your life [for some good purpose you'll devote it to].

ไว้ is often combined with a preceding เอา to give เอาไว้ and with ทิ้ง to give ทิ้งไว้ .

The meaning of ไว้, เอาไว้ or ทิ้งไว้ is : "effect of action of main verb preserved for time being, but with some future purpose in mind":

ฉันเด็ดดอกไม้เอาไว้ใส่แจกัน I'm picking flowers to put in a vase,
ผมจอดรถทิ้งไว้ข้างหน้า I've got the car parked out front.
ฉันตั้งใจไว้แล้วว่า จะมาหาคุณ I had already intended to come to see you.
จำไว้ให้ดีนะ Remember it well, will you?

Please have a look at the three words below and their definition. They might give you some more ideas to work on the highlighted part again.

RID:
ไว้
เก็บเข้าที่, เอาเข้าที่, เช่น เอาของไปไว้ที่,
วาง เช่นเอาไว้ตรงนั้นแหละ ไว้ของให้เป็นที่,
บางทีใช้ประกอบท้ายกริยาบางคําเพื่อให้ความหมายสมบูรณ์หรือหนักแน่นยิ่งขึ้น เช่น เก็บไว้ รักษาไว้ ปลูกไว้,
ให้มีอยู่, ให้ดํารงอยู่, รักษา, เช่น ไว้จุก ไว้หนวด ไว้ชีวิต ไว้ยศ.

เสีย
เสื่อมลงไป, ทำให้เลวลงไป, เช่น เสียเกียรติ เสียศักดิ์ศรี เสียชื่อ;
สูญไป, หมดไป, สิ้นไป, เช่น เสียแขน เสียชีวิต เสียทรัพย์;
ชำรุด เช่น ถนนเสีย ทางเสีย;
ใช้ไม่ได้ เช่น เครื่องไฟฟ้าเสียหมดทุกอย่าง รถเสียกลางทาง;
ยับเยิน, ย่อยยับ, เช่น ปีนี้ฝนแล้งจัดเรือกสวนไร่นาเสียหมด, เสียหาย ก็ว่า;
บูด เช่น แกงหม้อนี้เสียหมดทั้งหม้อ, เน่า เช่น ผลไม้เข่งนี้เสียแล้ว;
ไม่ดี เช่น ราขึ้น ขนมปังจึงเสียหมดทั้งแถว เธอดัดผมบ่อยเกินไป ทำให้ผมเสีย;
จ่ายเงิน, ชำระเงิน, เช่น เสียภาษี เสียค่าโทรศัพท์;
หมดทรัพย์สินไปเพราะการพนัน เช่น เสียไพ่ เสียม้า;
ตาย เช่น เขาเสียไปหลายปีแล้ว;
(โบ) ทิ้ง เช่น ที่ขวากหนามอย่าเสียเกือก.
(สุภาษิตพระร่วง), เสียไฟเป่าหิ่งห้อย. (ลอ).
. ที่ไม่ดี เช่น นิสัยเสีย น้ำเสีย;
พิการ เช่น ตาเสีย ขาเสีย; บูด เช่น อย่ากินแกงเสีย จะปวดท้อง.

เสียเถอะ, เสียเถิด
คําประกอบท้ายกริยา แสดงการเกลี้ยกล่อมหรือขอร้องเช่น ไปเสียเถิด.

These three descriptions illustrate occurrences of ไว้ and เสีย both as main verbs and as post-verbal auxiliaries.

The emphasis of my posting was on their uses as auxiliaries only. When uses as such, they follow the main verbs of sentences.

เสีย in ทิ้งจักรยานเสียที่นั่นซิ 'Leave the bike there [to get rid of it]' occurs after the main verb ทิ้ง to indicate that the bike is being left there "for good," as we sometimes say in US colloquial English.

All of the various post-verbal auxiliaries can, and often do, occur as main verbs, as well. One difference is that, as main verbs, they are stressed - they have normal loudness stress.
(See the paper on the prosodic features of Thai in the reference section to see why and how stress makes a difference in Thai, even though the orthography of Thai does not distinguish stress as it does tone, length and aspiration of the voiceless stops.)
DonSena

Next

Return to Vocabulary and Etymology