thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

ซึ่ง and ที่

Thai words and their origins

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: ซึ่ง and ที่

Postby pensive » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:22 pm

That's an interesting observation! Hmm, I don't understand Thai at all! So, with ซึ่ง, where the association with the antecedent is "weak", you can find the antecedent using such associations? Wow, that really is hard!

But, regarding ที่, note this line from a song.

ไปเจอสิ่งที่ดีดี สิ่งที่สวยงาม เจอคนที่เขาดีดี

particularly เจอคนที่เขาดีดี. See, ที่ is not the pronoun, which is in fact เขา. So ที่ does the "relative" part, but not the "pronoun" part. I think you can usually translate it as a pronoun because the subject of the relative clause can usually be left out. In the present case it is made explicit, either for emphasis or for rhyme. Well, it actually falls on the beat so may be required to avoid having the stress falling on the wrong word.
pensive

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

pensive wrote:That's an interesting observation! Hmm, I don't understand Thai at all! So, with ซึ่ง, where the association with the antecedent is "weak", you can find the antecedent using such associations? Wow, that really is hard!

But, regarding ที่, note this line from a song.

ไปเจอสิ่งที่ดีดี สิ่งที่สวยงาม เจอคนที่เขาดีดี

particularly เจอคนที่เขาดีดี. See, ที่ is not the pronoun, which is in fact เขา. So ที่ does the "relative" part, but not the "pronoun" part. I think you can usually translate it as a pronoun because the subject of the relative clause can usually be left out. In the present case it is made explicit, either for emphasis or for rhyme. Well, it actually falls on the beat so may be required to avoid having the stress falling on the wrong word.

I treat the pronoun as the subject of the next sentence.
I would dare to say that the last one is not correct, as you say, there to fit the music. เจอสิ่ง สิ่งดีดี เจอสิ่ง สิ่งสวยงาม เจอคน คนดีดี 'Meet a person particularized by being good' singled out as good, made specific by being good.
meet with good things, meet with beautiful things, meet with good people.
I am just putting the noun back in place of the pronoun which you must do because the object of the first verb can't be the subject of the second. Those adjectives are similar to verbs except they lack the temporary nature of verbs. (There is the old verb/adjective argument, but this works for me.) Actually it is easy to see where the whole thing is so subtle not to worry us. meet good people, meet people who are good, may be different but not that I can see. เจอคนดี ๆ seems ok.
Apparently ซึ่ง doesn't say this, what does it say?
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Can I show you why I think the way that I do. In order to do that I will quote the whole explanation of ประพันธสรรพนาม as taught to 11 year olds.

ประพันธสรรพนามคือคำสรรพนามที่ใช้แทนคำนาม หรือแทนคำสรรพนามที่อยู่ติดต่อกันข้างหน้า ได้แก่คำว่า ผู้ ที่ ซึ่ง อัน ฯลฯ
ดังตัวอย่าง
บุคคลผู้ไม่ประสงค์จะออกนามได้บริจาคเงินจำนวน ๑,๐๐๐,๐๐๐ บาท
ฉันกำลังอ่านเรื่องพระอภัยมณีซึ่งเป็นบทประพันธ์ของสุนทรภู่
ข้าพเจ้าไหว้พระธรรมอันพระพุทธเจ้าได้แสดงไว้ดีแล้ว
เขาที่นั่งตกปลาอยู่คือน้องชายของฉ้น
In the definition ที่ appears twice, both are the missing subject of the following verbs.
We need this in English too;
The person who didn't want to reveal his name gave 1000000 Baht.
I am reading Pra apaimani which is a composition of Suntonpu's.
I salute Buddha's teachings this, Buddha demonstrated well.
He who sits and fishes is my younger sibling.
Last edited by Tgeezer on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:40 am

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby pensive » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 am

That would be really good, thanks. :D
pensive

Postby pensive » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:14 am

Tgeezer wrote:ประพันธสรรพนามคือคำสรรพนามที่ใช้แทนคำนาม หรือแทนคำสรรพนามที่อยู่ติดต่อกันข้างหน้า ได้แก่คำว่า ผู้ ที่ ซึ่ง อัน ฯลฯ
ดังตัวอย่าง
Relative pronoun is pronoun (pronoun replacing noun), or replacing pronoun (pronoun standing before).
- I think the subject of the ที่ clause is the noun preceding ที่.
บุคคลผู้ไม่ประสงค์จะออกนามได้บริจาคเงินจำนวน ๑,๐๐๐,๐๐๐ บาท
Person (person who didn't want to reveal his name) ...
- The subject of the ผู้ clause is the noun before ผู้
ฉันกำลังอ่านเรื่องพระอภัยมณีซึ่งเป็นบทประพันธ์ของสุนทรภู่
I am reading Pra Apaimani (it is ....)
ข้าพเจ้าไหว้พระธรรมอันพระพุทธเจ้าได้แสดงไว้ดีแล้ว
(I think you lost your way on this one as you didn't use a relative pronoun)
เขาที่นั่งตกปลาอยู่คือน้องชายของฉ้น
He (he sits and fishes) is my brother

I can see you really want these words to be relative pronouns, and you have done OK like this (except for the Buddha's teaching one). But it works equally well without that. Especially for ที่, where I believe that it must follow its antecedent directly. Unlike ซึ่ง, for example, where you have to scratch around to find it.

Not a crticism, but why do your examples contain so much non-Thai? What is it, Pali or Sanskrit. :lol:
pensive

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 am

pensive wrote:I can see you really want these words to be relative pronouns, and you have done OK like this (except for the Buddha's teaching one). But it works equally well without that. Especially for ที่, where I believe that it must follow its antecedent directly. Unlike ซึ่ง, for example, where you have to scratch around to find it.

Not a crticism, but why do your examples contain so much non-Thai? What is it, Pali or Sanskrit. :lol:

I don't want them to be relative pronouns unless ประพันธนาม means relative pronoun, I haven't looked it up. The danger of giving them English names is that we may start applying English grammar to them, probably right, but we can't be sure.
This is how I think of them.
บุคคลไม่ประสงค์จะออกนาม บุคคลได้บริจาคเงินจำนวน ๑,๐๐๐,๐๐๐ บาท
ฉันกำลังอ่านเรื่องพระอภัยมณี พระอภัยมณีเป็นบทประพันธ์ของสุนทรภู่
ข้าพเจ้าไหว้พระธรรม พระพุทธเจ้าได้แสดงพระธรรมไว้ดีแล้ว (Pirin was going to advise on where to put ไว้.)
เขานั่งตกปลาอยู่ เขาคือน้องชายของฉ้น
I don't see any difference in meaning in any of these สรรพนาม
You can't do this in the new grammar apparently because ที่ seems to be a คำวิเศษณ์ by another name.
The writer of the new grammar says that in เด็กที่มาหาฉันเมื่อเช้านี้เป็นหลานของอาจารย์ใหญ่ we may notice that the sentence in italics lacks a subject so we may think that it should be;
เด็กที่เด็กมาหาฉันเมื่อเช้านี้เป็นหลานของอาจารย์ใหญ่
However this would be wrong. :?

I am sorry that we don't all have the book, it isn't going to work like this. As Pirin says it will take a lot of explaining I can't figure it out for myself.

I don't see any non Thai in the examples, and if there is, I am not responsible since they are from หลักภาษาไทย ชั้นประถมศึกษาปีที่ ๕
Last edited by Tgeezer on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tgeezer

Postby pensive » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Tgeezer wrote:I don't see any non Thai in the examples, and if there is, I am not responsible since they are from หลักภาษาไทย ชั้นประถมศึกษาปีที่ ๕

It was just a joke. But here is a "non-Thai" example: ประพันธสรรพนาม. I mean words with opaque syllable structure containing consonants like, tho thong, pho samphao, kho rakhang, tho montho, tho puthao, cho choe, tho than, ru, so rusi, lo jula. (In the end I decided to write them all down.) Clearly your Thai is so good that you don't notice. ;)
pensive

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:51 pm

pensive wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:I don't see any non Thai in the examples, and if there is, I am not responsible since they are from หลักภาษาไทย ชั้นประถมศึกษาปีที่ ๕

It was just a joke. But here is a "non-Thai" example: ประพันธสรรพนาม. I mean words with opaque syllable structure containing consonants like, tho thong, pho samphao, kho rakhang, tho montho, tho puthao, cho choe, tho than, ru, so rusi, lo jula. (In the end I decided to write them all down.) Clearly your Thai is so good that you don't notice. ;)

I haven't looked but I don't remember ฆ ฬ ฑ ฒ or if they are there then I am a better typist than I thought I was. :)
Tgeezer

Postby pensive » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Well, that wasn't your first post. There were 983 before that one. Well, that's not counting the ones by "Fred" and "R.E.G.".
pensive

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary and Etymology