thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Tone Marks in Thai vs actual tones

Vowel & consonant graphemes (letters), syllables, and orthography

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: Tone Marks in Thai vs actual tones

Postby tod-daniels » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 am

Wheew, all I can say is I'm glad I didn't consult any of you guyz when I taught myself how to tone thai syllables! :lol: I'da thrown in the towel right then and there! :o

In other news;
Here's a test for you all.
http://www.thaifrequency.com/tests/thai-tone-test/

Go thru it as fast as you can without listening to the sound files. Tone the words by sight.. See how you do.. ;)

BTW; that site; thaifrequency has some killer stuff on it.

I'm not affiliated with the guy but he's put a LOT of time into what he's got on there...
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby ling » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Good test (I missed 3), but at the end it didn't tell me which ones I got wrong... or at least i couldn't find that option. Also I wish the words were posted in a larger font... I needed to take my glasses off and put my face against the screen to read some!
ling

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:57 pm

ling wrote:Good test (I missed 3), but at the end it didn't tell me which ones I got wrong... or at least i couldn't find that option. Also I wish the words were posted in a larger font... I needed to take my glasses off and put my face against the screen to read some!

I think the only one without a written tone was ก็ falling, so that may be one you missed.
Tgeezer

Postby tod-daniels » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:52 am

I too thought the font was quite small :( and even with the glasses I use to read my p/c screen I was really struggling to see the characters. :oops:

I also wondered why it didn't show the wrong answers either, :? as I doubt it'd be too hard to do.

Oh, here's another really good site with tests about almost anything;
http://www.trueplookpanya.com/examination

If you go to the first drop down box on the left you can pick which grade you want tests shown from. The second drop down box (in the middle) shows the subject. After you've taken a test you can click the เฉลยข้อสอบ button and see which ones you got wrong.. I like how it shows which percentile you're in compared to everyone who took the test.:P

There are some really good tests hidden on that site and I've spent a couple of hours takin' this or that test. :D

Good luck.. :)
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby ling » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 am

Tgeezer wrote:I think the only one without a written tone was ก็ falling, so that may be one you missed.

Actually, I chose "falling" for that one!
ling

Postby rduchnik » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:17 am

I was struggling with this a bit myself, so I created a tone infographic and table.

It's just a collection of information I got form class and online. but I think it's correct for about 95% of situations. There are a few oddities I think though.

http://en-th.langnova.com/tones

Hope it helps :-)
rduchnik

Postby David and Bui » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:53 am

I think you've done a great job with the chart. There are a number of exceptions, arising mostly as the spoken language has migrated away from pronunciation when the rules were created. Thus, in some instances เขา is often pronounced as เค้า and น้ำ has become น้าม.

One of the major dislocations between pronunciation and spelling can be found in foreign loan words adopted into Thai. Historically, Thai spellings have not taken into account the falling tone Thais tend to associate with the final syllable of multi-syllable English words in the "ทับศัพท์" process. While there has been an attempt to more closely reflect actual pronunciation in the ทับศัพท์ process, for example, in the three- volume "Dictionary of New Words", recently, the Royal Institute choose to return to the older method.

For other words with "irregular pronunciations" see http://www.thai-language.com/ref/irregular-words .
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Richard Wordingham » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:38 am

rduchnik wrote:I was struggling with this a bit myself, so I created a tone infographic and table.

http://en-th.langnova.com/tones

You could simplify it by first testing the syllables with no tone mark for live v. dead.
Richard Wordingham

Previous

Return to Reading, Writing, Spelling, and Tone Rules