thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Typing tutor desperately needed

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Typing tutor desperately needed

Postby jsflynn603 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 am

I have spent tens of hours looking for a Thai typing program. There is an old typing tutor, and though I have downloaded it from several sites I find that some parts work and some do not.

How I long for a true "learn to touc type thai" tutorial.

Trying to learn by hunting and pecking is almost impossible (unless you have infinite hours) due to the tone marks which require typing two or more keystrokes to create one thai character.

The virtual keyboards, in my opinion are useless to "learn," as there is no finger/eye / brain connection. Sure you can use these to type thai, but not to learn "to touchtype."

I long to play the thai typing game here, but until I find a way to learn, I'm so stifled.

Even logical characters that show how to type letters, then letters with tone marks, then small words, without a program would work.

If anyone, anywhere finds a typing tutor that truly works please let us know.
jsflynn603

Re: Typing tutor desperately needed

Postby Glenn Slayden » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Is the beginning setting on the game (http://www.thai-language.com/id/805664) still too fast for you? What is it about the game that makes you not able to start with it?
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby buckjoy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

the free software at http://download.siamhrm.com/comment.php?dlid=2010 is what I used to learn to type Thai. 15 minutes a few times a week. It only took a bit over a month to have it down pat. I was an already proficient English typer, so that may have helped. Hunting and pecking thai is for the ควาย
buckjoy

Postby jsflynn603 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks Glenn, but the game is useful after one known how to touch-type properly. In my opinion learning to touch-type properly is essential. Once one knows the keys by feel that yes, the game will be very useful.

Buckjoy, thanks for the link. That brings me to Thai-typing tutor 1.04.exe.

This is the program that I have but though it sets up, it "jams" meaning that I can type a few letters (yes I know one needs to hit the space bar at spaces) and then it simply dies, and no input is accepted by the correct key, and there is no way to get past the "stuck" keys.

On some lessons it happens on the third letter, on other lessons later in the rows. Clearly something is wrong with the program, though you seem to have been able to use it. Perhaps you can put it up someplace for download.

Thanks all
jsflynn603

Postby buckjoy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:06 pm

I've since upgraded to Windows 7. When I tried the few remaining links that show the typing tutor program, the install process gets hung up midway.
I've searched through a multitude of other sites, but can't find a download that works. Don't really know the reason why.
Maybe another member still has a workable version on their computer. It's only 1.2meg
buckjoy

Postby jsflynn603 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 am

I found a good download at bangkoklibrary.com, here's the link if allowed:

http://bangkoklibrary.com/content/180-d ... 4-freeware

I had to play with language input in Win xp under language and it's a bit tricky, but once I got it going I've been pleased with it.

The statistics are nice seeing myself going from 3 to 15 "words" per minute (without upper-case). I think it is definitely
worth trying to get it up and running!
jsflynn603

Postby John » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:01 am

I started the installation but am concerned about the advertising and tool bar additions that come with the program. Norton Utilities does not have enough data to list the program as safe to use.

Be careful.
John (จอห์น)
John

Postby daฟาน » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:57 am

i used this one:

http://www.easythailand.de/tipp_trainer.zip

it is actually designed for thai kids, yet it worked pretty well for me
you have to go to the "jewel" for the learning process... the games will just make you faster, only the jewel will actually help learning the different letters

when you start using it, it will feel pretty exhausting but it's worth it... I was able to type english without actually looking at the keyboard before but given that fact I was able to learn how to write Thai blindly / without looking within one week.

Important thing: After you could theoretically type all letters, still keep on practicing for a while else you will forget some hard ones for sure. practice on this page here with the excellent Thai Typing Tutor or use the last game in the kid's program. Don't just use vocabulary programs at the beginning as some of the rarely used letters won't show up often enough.
daฟาน

Postby Oswulf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:59 am

Frustrated by the lack of a decent, web-based Thai typing course, I wrote my own. It's available at:

http://thai-notes.com/typing/typing.shtml

It's divided into 50 lessons, and at half an hour a day will probably take most people a month to complete.

It does work in most recent versions of Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer, though all have some small formatting problems. It works best in Firefox.

It's very new, and there are probably a few more problems to be found with it. If you do try it, I'd really appreciate your feedback via the website.

Thank you.
Oswulf

Postby David and Bui » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 am

Thank you so much for creating this tool. I tested Lesson 15 and I really appreciate your using real Thai words for practice, instead of made up words which emphasizes keystrokes, rather than real Thai typing.

If I could make one suggestion, I would say that when the learner types an incorrect key, only the incorrect key should turn red, not the entire line up the the point of error. (I am using the Chrome browser.)

Otherwise, you have a great tool here. Thanks again for making this available to us learners.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Next

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings