thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

New Province บึงกาฬ

Religion, customs, politics, film, music, television

Moderator: acloudmovingby

New Province บึงกาฬ

Postby John » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:04 am

I have always understood that there were 76 provinces in Thailand. Recently a province was split creating a new one - บึงกาฬ resulting in 77 provinces. Wikipedia however argues that there are now only 76 provinces because Bangkok is not actually a province. This is explained when going to the edit mode of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bueng_Kan_Province".

So, what is the truth?
John (จอห์น)
John

Re: New Province บึงกาฬ

Postby simonbournemouth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:34 am

It's true that Bangkok is not actually a province, but I do recall it being listed in the "76 Thai Provinces" because it is administered at the same level as the other provinces.

Perhaps it is omitted now so as to keep it to
"76 Provinces"?
simonbournemouth

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:29 pm

John wrote:I have always understood that there were 76 provinces in Thailand. Recently a province was split creating a new one - บึงกาฬ resulting in 77 provinces. Wikipedia however argues that there are now only 76 provinces because Bangkok is not actually a province. This is explained when going to the edit mode of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bueng_Kan_Province".

So, what is the truth?

I read that the จังหวัด is กรุงเทพมหานคร and when you read กรุงเทพ ฯ it is this word which is being abbreviated. I inferred from that that กรุงเทพ ฯ is not the short form of the name of the city which begins; กรุงเทพพระมหานคร and is very long.
My old Mary Haas dictionary contradicts this, so I expect there are many opinions but I think that กรุงเทพ ฯ is a province.
Last edited by Tgeezer on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:39 pm

This caption is from the Ministry of the Interior website (http://www.moi.go.th/portal/page?_pagei ... ema=PORTAL) which also includes a map of Thailand. The new province, Bueng Kan, is shown as the most Northern province in Isarn. Since the title says, " . . . the 76 provinces plus Bangkok", I have to assume that the number 76 does include the new province, but not Bangkok. On the other hand, if you click on the new province on the map website, the website of Nong Kai shows up.
Attachments
Provinces.JPG
Thailand's 76 Provinces Plus Bangkok
Provinces.JPG (48.41 KiB) Viewed 13938 times
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby John » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:12 pm

It seems to me that the English Wikipedia page for บึงกาฬ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bueng_Kan_Province) should acknowledge that Bangkok is loosely understood to be a province and บึงกาฬ is therefore commonly listed as the 77th province.
John (จอห์น)
John

Postby David and Bui » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 am

This from http://www.chiangraifocus.com/forums/in ... ic=27689.0

"ชาวทวิภพ(ชาวทวิตเตอร์)แย้งจังหวัดบึงกาฬเป็นจังหวัดที่ 76 ไม่ใช่ 77

ชาว ทวิภพได้เขียนทวิตเตอร์ดหรือหวีดทักท้วงการเรียกจังหวัดบึงกาฬว่าเป็น จังหวัดที่ 77 ว่าเป็นความเข้าใจผิด ความจริงขณะนี้ประเทศไทยมีแค่ 76 จังหวัด เพราะกรุงเทพมหานครไม่ใช่จังหวัด เกรงเยาวชนเข้าใจผิด จี้รัฐทำความเข้าใจให้ถูกต้อง

นายไพศาล พืชมงคล อดีตสมาชิกสภานิติบัญญัติแห่งชาติ ได้เขียนทวิตเตอร์เมื่อคืนวานนี้ สนับสนุนความคิดเห็นของชาวทวิภพที่ท้วงติงการเรียกจังหวัดบึงกาฬซึ่งเป็น จังหวัดล่าสุดว่าไม่ใช่จังหวัดที่ 77 เพราะกรุงเทพมหานครไม่ใช่จังหวัด แต่เป็นเมืองพิเศษตามกฎหมายพิเศษ ดังนั้นขณะนี้ประเทศไทยจึงมีแค่ 76 จังหวัด และสองเมืองพิเศษคือกรุงเทพมหานคร และเมืองพัทยา ซึ่งเป็นการปกครองท้องถิ่นรูปแบบพิเศษ

นายไพศาล พืชมงคล ได้ออกความเห็นสนับสนุนว่า การเรียกจังหวัดที่ 77 จึงทำให้เกิดความสับสนและความเข้าใจผิดขึ้นในหมู่ประชาชนและเยาวชนของชาติ ดังนั้นรัฐบาลจึงต้องรีบสร้างความเข้าใจที่ถูกต้องตั้งแต่บัดนี้."

Mr. Phaisarn, a former member of the National Assembly, is taking a position that with the addition of Bueng Kan as a province, Thailand has but 76 provinces. Bangkok and Pattaya are "special urban areas" under the law, he notes. Question: will the Thai Senate be augmented by two more members, one for the new province and one appointed member for balance?

As an interesting addition, note the apparent neologism "ทวิภพ" or the "Twitter world", that is the community of Twitter users.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Gra-ding » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 am

So does this mean that there were really only 75 providences all along?

Have they been lying to us?

I think they are making things up as they go along.

God forbid that they should have to upgrade all those old school books. ;)
Gra-ding

Return to Culture and Current Events