thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Type ไทย Like A Native

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Type ไทย Like A Native

Postby fire69water » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 am

Dear Thai language fans,

I have created a new Thai keyboard for both PC/Mac. You can download for free at qwertythai.com. This keyboard is created for non Thai natives like us who are already familiar with the QWERTY keyboard arrangement. The Thai symbols are reached using the equivalent Thai phonetics. E.g., to get ความ, you type k-w-a-m, to get มา, m-a etc. Of course, knowing the Thai language, you know it's not always that straight forward. There is some level of re-orientation involved.

Go take a look.
Possessions possess the possessor.
fire69water

Re: Type ไทย Like A Native

Postby daฟาน » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Altough I recommend learning the Thai (Kedmanee) Keyboard layout (once u know it, you will be able to use it anywhere at any time... for example: phone, public computer etc), I have to admit this sounds interesting.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to take a closer look into it right now. It would be nice if you maybe add a video or screenshots on your homepage that clarifies how exactly the keyboard is supposed to work.
daฟาน

Postby fire69water » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 am

daฟาน wrote:Unfortunately I don't have the time to take a closer look into it right now.

If you don't have time to look at this, I doubt you have time to learn Kedmanee.
QWERTYThai is like a retrofit solution, using your existing finger memory of the QWERTY keyboard to type Thai.
fire69water

Postby daฟาน » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Luckily I don't need to learn Kedmanee.
It took me 2-3 days until I could type Thai without any Thai letters on the keyboard by using a game for Thai children. It's really not a big deal.

Thing is... I like your idea, but to me there is a lack of visual explanations. I'm really curious how you integrated some letters like ท ฑ ธ ฐ ฏ ฎ ต ฒ etc but as I said, at the moment I can't look into it more closely so a video or some screenshots of they actual keyboard layout would have been helpful to me and maybe some users who actually want to try your keyboard.
daฟาน

Postby fire69water » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

You didn't even have time to download it? I've included keys charts on pdf in the download package. And the whole thing is free.
fire69water

Postby Richard Wordingham » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:16 pm

fire69water wrote:You didn't even have time to download it? I've included keys charts on pdf in the download package. And the whole thing is free.

You'd get more hits on the PDF if you gave a link from the web page rather than only including it in the download.

I did find your explanation awkward to access.

At one stage I began to wonder if you'd copied the design I put together 14 years ago (and later converted to HTML + javascript) - see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.wo ... #rationale . The strong similarity rather suggests that the keyboard is reasonably intuitive. My original was a jury-rigged love-letter publisher on a work non-PC computer - text editor, separate bespoke Thai spell-checker, bespoke text-to-postscript converter, my own vector font, and ghostscript to preview the Thai. My HTML file is intended for those who are forbidden from enabling a Windows XP Thai keyboard - it can happen on work machines.

I notice the whole thing is free as in free beer, not as in free speech. If you're using MSKLC for Windows, why not include the source (.klc) file? Then the suspicious can compile it themselves if they don't trust your DLLs. So far as I am aware, the trusting can recover the .klc file from the DLL. It might be worth adding that Qwertythai works on a stand-alone PC - some keyboards don't!
Richard Wordingham

Postby fire69water » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 am

At one stage I began to wonder if you'd copied the design I put together 14 years ago (and later converted to HTML + javascript) - see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.wo ... #rationale . The strong similarity rather suggests that the keyboard is reasonably intuitive. My original was a jury-rigged love-letter publisher on a work non-PC computer - text editor, separate bespoke Thai spell-checker, bespoke text-to-postscript converter, my own vector font, and ghostscript to preview the Thai. My HTML file is intended for those who are forbidden from enabling a Windows XP Thai keyboard - it can happen on work machines.

This is the first time I came across your website. If there are similarities, it's just due to the fact that certain consonants are logically where they should be, based on the phonetics basis. But there are many differences, though.

We both saw a need for a Thai keyboard that is phonetically based (you 14 years earlier, me 2 years back), if not for others but at least for our own sanity.
fire69water

Postby Richard Wordingham » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm

fire69water wrote:We both saw a need for a Thai keyboard that is phonetically based (you 14 years earlier, me 2 years back), if not for others but at least for our own sanity.

Actually, I just had a need for entering Thai by typing ASCII - which is why my escape mechanism is '%' rather than AltGr. I hadn't learnt the Kedmanee keyboard, and I was in a hurry.
Richard Wordingham

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings