thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Language of Politics

Religion, customs, politics, film, music, television

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Language of Politics

Postby David and Bui » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:02 am

Friends,

We do not discuss politics in these forum; there are better forums elsewhere for this purpose. However, today I wish to discuss the language of politics, especially the new or refurbished words being used by the กปปส. group, and to try to understand the meanings they are trying to convey. I am not asking for a political opinion or statement of support or rejection, just clarification of the language.

The following terms are being used by Suthep and his organization:

1. สภาประชาชน
2. ประชาธิปไตยที่สมบูรณ์
3. มวลมหาประชาชน
4. ประชาภิวัฒน์ (ประชาวิวัฒน์)
5. ตุลาภิวัฒน์

Here is what I surmise:

The name of the organization created by Suthep and his allies, to distinguish itself from the Democrat Party which could face dissolution, is abbreviated as "กปปส." or "PDRC" in English. The full Thai name is "คณะกรรมการประชาชนเพื่อเปลี่ยนแปลงประเทศไทยให้เป็นประชาธิปไตยที่สมบูรณ์อันมีพระมหากษัตริย์เป็นประมุข" or as translated by the Bangkok Post, "People's Democratic Reform Committee," which makes the English less than the mouthful when compared to the Thai.

Interestingly, the English version seems to gloss over the troublesome phrase "ประชาธิปไตยที่สมบูรณ์" which could mean either "Perfect Democracy" or "Complete Democracy", the latter if สมบูรณ์ means, according to the RID, "บริบูรณ์" or "ครบถ้วน", the former being reported by some newspapers and commentators. "Perfect Democracy" implies a qualitative evaluation; "complete democracy" seems to imply a quantitative evaluation. My question is, "What does the กปปส. leadership trying to communicate with the use of this phrase?"

The terms "สภาประชาชน" and "มวลมหาประชาชน." "สภาประชาชน" is being referred to as "People's Council" but I don't know what "people" being considered for inclusion. And, I have not seen a rendition of "มวลมหาประชาชน" and find it difficult to translate it other than "The People." I suspect, however, that something other than a numeric majority is being referenced. Ajarn Nithi Eosriwong discusses this term extensively at http://prachatai.com/journal/2013/12/50488 but he is clearly not in Suthep's camp. Does anyone know if this term has been defined with any precision by the กปปส. leadership?

All I can say is that these terms echo faintly of the Chinese usage as in "People's Democratic Republic." Perhaps Suthep is looking toward Laos as the model for his democracy.

Finally the term "ประชาภิวัฒน์" (sometimes spelled "ประชาวิวัฒน์") seems to be a revolutionary term (The People's Revolution) and is contrasted by the new faction with "ตุลาภิวัฒน์" which seems to be translated variously as "judicial review," "judicial activism," "judicial supremacy," or "judge made law."

In any event, any light you might shed would be welcome. Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Language of Politics

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:51 am

Doesn't อันมีพระมหากษัตรีตริย์เป็นประมุข describe what is meant by สมบูรณ์?
Tgeezer

Return to Culture and Current Events