thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Would appreciate a translation

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Would appreciate a translation

Postby illusion » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 am

It's kind of lengthy but would any kind member help translate this into Thai please. Thanks in advance!

Don't allow current circumstances dictate what your future holds. - don't let things you can't control such as money and external influences affect your happiness. Everyone has things they can't control, the only thing you can control are your emotions. The better you can control emotions, the better you can control your life.

Don't allow temporary habits turn into permanent ones. - don't spend more than you can afford and lie to yourself that you can make it up the next month. Are you telling yourself that you will have extra cash the next month because your salary will increase? The likely answer is no and you're still earning the same amount.

Why spend on goods that you can't afford just to prove to people what you are worth. You can post anything on social media but when we follow you home, it's not as it is.
So why borrow EXTRA cash or use EXTRA cash when you can't make EXTRA to buy EXTRA things you can do without. This poor habit and temporary problem will turn into a permanent one. It is a cycle, a full circle. Do you want to be stuck with low cash levels for the rest of your life?

Remember this and I believe, all of us will make it.
illusion

Re: Would appreciate a translation

Postby ttthai » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:40 am

Here is my take on it. Please note that this is not a word by word translation.

Don't allow current circumstances dictate what your future holds.
อย่าปล่อยให้สถานการณ์ปัจจุบัน ตัดสิน อนาคตของคุณ

- don't let things you can't control such as money and external influences affect your happiness.
อย่าปล่อยให้สิ่งที่คุณควบคุมไม่ได้ อย่างเช่น เงิน และ อิทธิพลภายนอก ส่งผลต่อความสุขของคุณ

Everyone has things they can't control, the only thing you can control are your emotions.
ทุกคนมีสิ่งที่ตนเองควบคุมไม่ได้, มีเพียงสิ่งเดียวที่คุณคุมได้ คืออารมณ์ของคุณ

The better you can control emotions, the better you can control your life.
ยิ่งคุณควบคุมอารมณ์ได้มากเท่าไหร่, คุณก็ยิ่งคุมชีวิตคุณได้มากเท่านั้น

Don't allow temporary habits turn into permanent ones.
อย่าปล่อยให้นนิสัยชั่วคราวกลายเป็นเรื่องถาวร

- don't spend more than you can afford and lie to yourself that you can make it up the next month.
อย่าใช้เกินกว่าที่คุณหาได้ และอย่าหลอกตัวเอง ว่าคุณจะหามาเติมในเดือนถัดไป

Are you telling yourself that you will have extra cash the next month because your salary will increase?
คุณกำลังบอกตัวเองว่าา คุณจะได้เงินเพิ่มขึ้นเดือนหน้า เพราะเงินเดือนของคุณจะขึ้นใช่มั้ย?

The likely answer is no and you're still earning the same amount.
คำตอบที่น่าจะเป็นก็คือ ไม่ และ คุณก็จะได้เงินเท่าเดิม

Why spend on goods that you can't afford just to prove to people what you are worth.
ทำไมถึงซื้อของเกินกว่าที่คุณจะหาได้ เพื่่อที่จะพิสูจน์กับคนอื่นว่า คุณมีค่าแค่ไหน

You can post anything on social media but when we follow you home, it's not as it is.
คุณสามารถโพสอะไรก็ได้ใน โซเชียลมีเดีย แต่ เมื่อไหร่ที่เราตามไปดูคุณที่บ้าน มันกลับไม่ใช่อย่างนั้น

So why borrow EXTRA cash or use EXTRA cash when you can't make EXTRA to buy EXTRA things you can do without.
แล้วทำไมถึงต้องกู้ยืม เงิน มากๆ หรือ ใช้ เงิน มากๆ ตอนที่คุณไม่สามารถหาเงิน มากๆ เพื่อที่จะซื้อ สิ่งของ เวอร์ๆ ที่คุณอยู่ได้โดยไม่มีมัน

This poor habit and temporary problem will turn into a permanent one.
มันเป็นนิสัยแย่ๆ และเป็นปัญหาชั่วคราว ที่จะกลายเป็น สิ่งถาวร

It is a cycle, a full circle.
มันเป็นวงจร, วงจรที่สมบูรณ์

Do you want to be stuck with low cash levels for the rest of your life?
คุณต้องการที่จะติดอยู่กับระดับรายได้อันต่ำเตี้ยนี้ ไปตลอดชีวิตของคุณหรือ?

Remember this and I believe, all of us will make it.
จำเรื่องนี้ไว้ และฉันเชื่อว่า พวกเราทุกคนจะผ่านมันไปได้
http://hip.webutu.com/thaikeyboard.php
ttthai

Postby Pirin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:02 pm

This is somewhat figurative. I will give another piece of translation.

"Don't allow current circumstances dictate what your future holds. - don't let things you can't control such as money and external influences affect your happiness. Everyone has things they can't control, the only thing you can control are your emotions. The better you can control emotions, the better you can control your life."

อย่าปล่อยให้สภาวการณ์ในปัจจุบันเป็นตัวกำหนดอนาคตของเรา อีกนัยหนึ่งก็คือ อย่าปล่อยให้สิ่งที่เราควบคุมไม่ได้ อย่างเช่นเงินและปัจจัยภายนอกต่าง ๆ เป็นสิ่งที่กำหนดความสุขของเรา คนเราทุกคนต้องเจอกับสิ่งต่าง ๆ ที่เราควบคุมเองไม่ได้ทั้งหมด มีเพียงสิ่งเดียวเท่านั้นที่เราจะสามารถควบคุมได้ สิ่งนั้นก็คืออารมณ์ของเราเอง ยิ่งเราสามารถควบคุมอารมณ์ของตนเองได้อย่างดี เราก็จะยิ่งสามารถเลือกใช้ชีวิตของตนเองได้อย่างดีเช่นกัน

"Don't allow temporary habits turn into permanent ones. - don't spend more than you can afford and lie to yourself that you can make it up the next month. Are you telling yourself that you will have extra cash the next month because your salary will increase? The likely answer is no and you're still earning the same amount."

อย่าปล่อยให้สิ่งที่เรามักจะทำอยู่ตอนนี้กลายเป็นสิ่งที่เราทำจนติดเป็นนิสัย เป็นต้นว่า อย่าใช้เงินจนเกินตัวด้วยการทึกทักไปว่าเดือนถัดไปเราจะมีเงินมาชดเชยส่วนที่เราจ่ายเกินไปแล้ว เดือนถัดไปเราจะมีเงินใช้มากขึ้นเพราะเงินเดือนเราจะมากขึ้นหรอกหรือ เอาเข้าจริงมันก็ไม่ได้เป็นเช่นนั้น เงินเดือนในเดือนถัดไปของเราก็ยังคงเท่าเดิม

"Why spend on goods that you can't afford just to prove to people what you are worth. You can post anything on social media but when we follow you home, it's not as it is."

ทำไมเราจะต้องใช้เงินซื้อของแพง ๆ เพื่ออวดคนอื่น ตามสื่อต่าง ๆ ต่อให้เราสามารถเอารูปของเราไปแสดงอะไร ๆ ก็ได้อย่างที่เราอยากจะแสดงให้คนทั่วไปดูก็ตาม แต่ถ้าคนเหล่านั้นมาเจอเราจริง ๆ ที่บ้าน เราก็ไม้ได้เป็นอย่างเช่นที่ได้แสดงเอาไว้ให้เขาดูในสื่อต่าง ๆ เหล่านั้นเลย

"So why borrow EXTRA cash or use EXTRA cash when you can't make EXTRA to buy EXTRA things you can do without. This poor habit and temporary problem will turn into a permanent one. It is a cycle, a full circle. Do you want to be stuck with low cash levels for the rest of your life?"

ดังนั้น ไม่มีเหตุผลใด ๆ ที่เราจะไปก่อหนี้ก่อสิน หรือใช้เงินเกินตัว เพื่อไปซื้อสิ่งต่าง ๆ ที่ไม่จำเป็น ถ้าเรายังดึงดันที่จะทำอย่างนั้นไปเรื่อย ๆ สักวันเราจะทำจนติดเป็นนิสัย ถ้าเป็นเช่นนั้น เราจะกลายเป็นคนที่มีเงินไม่เคยพอใช้ แล้วตัวเราเองอยากจะมีชีวิตแบบนั้นหรอกหรือ

"Remember this and I believe, all of us will make it."
เชื่อะเถอะ ตัวเราเองจะเป็นคนที่จะเลือกใช้ชีวิตของตนเอง และเราก็จำทำได้เสียด้วย
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby illusion » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am

Thank you both for your time in translating, it certainly helped me in understanding with both variations of translations.

Thanks once again!
illusion

Postby Pirin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:59 am

Pirin wrote:
This is somewhat figurative.

Feel free to guess how I would say this (sentence) in Thai.
Pirin

Postby Toffeeman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Pirin wrote:This is somewhat figurative.
Feel free to guess how I would say this (sentence) in Thai.

I will give it a go. How about:
นี่คือคำแปลค่อนข้างโดยนัย - literally: this is translation somewhat figurative

I guess this would be understandable to a Thai but probably not how they would say it.
What do you think khun Pirin?
Toffeeman

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:29 am

I also thought that ค่อนข้าง was the word to use but didn't know how to say figurative.
When I saw the post I thought the challenge of translating it was too much for me, better to send the girl to the wat to consult a monk.
I would call this translation a homily (เทศน์) but if not religious then the simplest word I think would be คำตักเตือน. In 'touring' the dictionary I came upon บทความ for 'article' which I don't think applies here. โอวาท which looks like a non religious homily but it looks rather formal.

The translation is true to the English so I didn't see 'This' as referring to the translation which I don't think is figurative in that it says more or less everything directly.
I am told that อุปมา which is to use an expression comparatively, can be used to say figurative.

คำตักเตือนนี้คอนข้างเป็นการอุปมา

I would like to see if I have the meaning of the final sentence.
เชื่อเถอะ ตัวเราเองเป็นคนที่จะเลือก ใช้ชีวิตของตนเอง และเราก็จำทำได้เสียด้วย
Believe it! we each have choice, live your own life, we, then, can make up our minds to do well.(together)
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Pirin wrote:

เชื่อะเถอะ ตัวเราเองจะเป็นคนที่จะเลือกใช้ชีวิตของตนเอง และเราก็จะทำได้เสียด้วย

Tgeezer wrote:
Believe it! we each have choice, live your own life, we, then, can make up our minds to do well.(together)

Do you think the clause "we, then, can make up our minds to do well, (together)" keeps the original meaning"?
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 am

Pirin wrote:
Pirin wrote:

เชื่อะเถอะ ตัวเราเองจะเป็นคนที่จะเลือกใช้ชีวิตของตนเอง และเราก็จะทำได้เสียด้วย

Tgeezer wrote:

Do you think the clause "we, then, can make up our minds to do well, (together)" keeps the original meaning"?

Hello Pirin, I don't know. The original "Remember this and I believe, all of us will make it."

The successful translation hinges on whether substituting Thai words works and this would depend on the reader's knowledge of English, assuming that they are not native English speakers of course. Most of us have no trouble because we simply read the Thai as English. I like to think that I could say something which could be understood by a Thai who does not speak English.
I am more interested in your interpretation and chose this piece to study.

I don't know the grammatical names but this sentence is two sentences with a conjunction.
You remember this. I believe all of us will make it. The second sentence depends on the first so I see ถ้า.... แล่ว เราก็ ... .
However I feel that it is beyond me to translate complicated things like this.

I did think that I could make something of จำทำได้เสียด้วย
จำ change your ways/do better ได้เสียด้วย achievement, I see now that you have reconsidered and gone for จะ.

As I said to someone else, I find it best to start with Thai when learning Thai.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Return to Advanced Translation