thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

มีรสชาติ

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

มีรสชาติ

Postby Gwindor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 pm

So often, when someone offers me a taste of something new, they will say "มีรสชาติ". I have always taken this to mean "It has a distinct taste" or "It has it's own taste". I never questioned or examined how I took this in. Now I am questioning my intuitive sense (which is often misguided).

What is the meaning of รสชาติ? Is it just another way of saying "อร่อย"? Does it have a "national" meaning? Or could it be as I always took it, i.e., that ชาติ gave a shade of meaning that implied something unique or distinct?
Gwindor

Re: มีรสชาติ

Postby David and Bui » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:48 am

Bui says that "ม่ีรสชาติ" is equivalent to อร่อย when discussing food.

Longdo has the English equivalent as "savory". Also, "tasty" or "flavorful".

Bui also says that "มีรสชาติ" is often used outside the culinary context to indicate that something is cool, interesting, gives a good impression, is memorable.

Have you encountered this meaning as well?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Gwindor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 pm

"Have you encountered this meaning as well?"

I am not sure it was meant this way every time I heard it, but I think it was this meaning that shaped my sense of what it means. I associate it with people inviting me to try various delicacies, like หมูป่าปิ้ง. In other situations, I probably took what may have simply meant อร่อย as meaning something more precise.

หมูป่าปิ้ง IS delicious, btw.
Gwindor

Postby Pirin » Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Gwindor wrote:So often, when someone offers me a taste of something new, they will say "มีรสชาติ". I have always taken this to mean "It has a distinct taste" or "It has it's own taste". I never questioned or examined how I took this in. Now I am questioning my intuitive sense (which is often misguided).

What is the meaning of รสชาติ? Is it just another way of saying "อร่อย"? Does it have a "national" meaning? Or could it be as I always took it, i.e., that ชาติ gave a shade of meaning that implied something unique or distinct?

David and Bui wrote:Bui says that "ม่ีรสชาติ" is equivalent to อร่อย when discussing food.

Longdo has the English equivalent as "savory". Also, "tasty" or "flavorful".

Bui also says that "มีรสชาติ" is often used outside the culinary context to indicate that something is cool, interesting, gives a good impression, is memorable.

Have you encountered this meaning as well?

1. รส = รสชาติ

2. อร่อย = มีรสชาติ / ไม่อร่อยเลย = ไม่มีรสชาติเลย

3. อร่อย = conversational and/or less formal

4. มีรสชาติ = formal or literary
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Here are some sample sentences from magazines. Is my understanding of these sentences correct?

มันมีรสชาติที่เอร็ดอร่อยจนเขายังจำมันได้จนถึงทุกวันนี้
It had such an amazing flavor that he still remembered it today.

ท่านเลยลองเอาใบชามาต้มแล้วดื่มน้ำจากใบชา ซึ่งพอลองดื่มแล้วมีรสชาติดี ลองใส่กาแล้วเอาไปให้ชาวบ้านดื่มทุกคนก็ชอบ
He then put the tea leaves to boil and drank the tea. Once he tried the tea, the taste was excellent. He tried putting the leaves into a teapot and gave his neighbors a drink. They liked it too.

อีกร้านที่เราเดินผ่านมาก็เป็นร้านขนมไทยที่มีรสชาติอร่อยดั้งเดิม
Another shop we walked past was a Thai dessert shop which had delicious, traditionally-flavored sweets.

เขาเป็นคอกาแฟตัวยง พิถีพิถันชง เขามั่นใจว่าทุกแก้วที่ชงมีรสชาติกลมกล่อม สำหรับการดื่มเรียกความเบิกบานในยามเช้า
He was a exemplary coffee aficionado and very meticulous in brewing it. He wanted to be sure that each and every cup he brewed had a rich taste so that it would provide him joy as he drank his morning cup.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 am

David and Bui wrote:Here are some sample sentences from magazines. Is my understanding of these sentences correct?

มันมีรสชาติที่เอร็ดอร่อยจนเขายังจำมันได้จนถึงทุกวันนี้
It had such an amazing flavor that he still remembered it today.

ท่านเลยลองเอาใบชามาต้มแล้วดื่มน้ำจากใบชา ซึ่งพอลองดื่มแล้วมีรสชาติดี ลองใส่กาแล้วเอาไปให้ชาวบ้านดื่มทุกคนก็ชอบ
He then put the tea leaves to boil and drank the tea. Once he tried the tea, the taste was excellent. He tried putting the leaves into a teapot and gave his neighbors a drink. They liked it too.

อีกร้านที่เราเดินผ่านมาก็เป็นร้านขนมไทยที่มีรสชาติอร่อยดั้งเดิม
Another shop we walked past was a Thai dessert shop which had delicious, traditionally-flavored sweets.

เขาเป็นคอกาแฟตัวยง พิถีพิถันชง เขามั่นใจว่าทุกแก้วที่ชงมีรสชาติกลมกล่อม สำหรับการดื่มเรียกความเบิกบานในยามเช้า
He was a exemplary coffee aficionado and very meticulous in brewing it. He wanted to be sure that each and every cup he brewed had a rich taste so that it would provide him joy as he drank his morning cup.

Two sentences are slightly edited to keep the meaning of the underlined words.
He then put the tea leaves to boil and drank the tea. Once he tried the tea, the taste was good. He tried putting the leaves into a teapot and let others (in the village) drink such tea. They liked it too.

ชาวบ้าน = the people who live or have their home in the village

He was an exemplary coffee aficionado and very meticulous in brewing it. He was so confident that each and every cup he brewed had a very pleasant taste so that it would provide him joy as he drank his morning cup.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 am

Thank you, Khun Pirin.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Return to Advanced Translation