thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Thai Script in WORD

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Thai Script in WORD

Postby David and Bui » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:29 am

<thai>

I am also a Vista user. Click on the "start" button in the lower left hand corner; click on "control panel" in the listing along the right side; in Control Panel, click on "Clock, Language, and Region" setting. Click on "Change keyboards and other input methods. A screen will come up with "Formats" "Location" "Keyboard and Languages" and "Administrative". Under "Keyboards and Languages" click on "Change Keyboards". There, you will add "Thai" and the "Kedmanee" keyboard. There are other choices; use the Help for additional assistance.

Some programs, like Lexitron, require you to specify "Thailand" as the location in the "Location" tab as well.

Please register and become a regular part of our discussion group. Good luck.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Thai Script in WORD

Postby bruce stauffer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:44 pm

Just break down and buy a Thai keyboard, you'll be glad you did- they are very inexpensive, shipping is more than the keyboard!! about $30.00 all told....
bruce stauffer

Thai Script in WORD

Postby xaabu » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi,

i have a problem with printing out thai text.

I have vista with word 2007 (both german). I write a thai text and on the screen its allright, but when i print it ou some tha symbols are wrong for ex this " ทั " . Do i need a special font for the printer on vista? Its an HP.
On my old Comp with thai win98 on it it works.
it confused me that the text is on the creen ok but not on the printer.
I have also tried wordpad, the same problem.

can anyone help ?

greetings from germany

xaabu
xaabu

Thai Script in WORD

Postby David and Bui » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Not that it is much comfort, but I have the same problem. My solution is a work-around. I first print a Word document, for example, to become a pdf file (using "Cute PDF Writer", a free download), then print the resulting file from Adobe Reader.

If anyone has a real solution, I also would like to know. Thanks for asking.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Thai Script in WORD

Postby julianq » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:13 pm

While it is possible to use MS Word to type in Thai, OpenOffice.org's Writer (freeware) is a much better alternative because unlike Word, on which it is necessary to manually indicate where to split between words when reaching the end of a line, OpenOffice Writer knows enough about Thai to split lines between words automatically.

It's been a while since I used a Thai version of Windows, so maybe there is a Thai version of Word that has this functionality, but I am using the standard American version of Windows XP SP2 with OpenOffice.org Writer. Follow the directions Glenn Slayden sets out in his response to the initial question above. Make sure that when you click the "Add.." button that you select Thai as the "Input language" and Thai Kedmanee as the "Keyboard layout/IME."

After clicking OK, click on the "Language Bar.." button and make sure "Show the Language bar on the desktop" is checked. After clicking on OK to close the Language Bar Settings window, click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the "Text Services and Input Languages" window and make sure the box in the "Compatibility Configuration" section is checked. Click OK twice to close all the windows and you are ready to use Thai in OpenOffice.org's Writer.

There should be a small "EN" on the right side of the blue part of the task bar at the bottom of your screen, to the left of the icons that are to the left of the time. This is the language bar. If you click on it, a small window listing both English and Thai should open. Click on the language you want to type in.

You will need to make sure you have a Thai font installed and selected if you want to type in Thai. I recommend "Angsana New", which is a True Type font. Google for it. It's not hard to find. You'll probably want to increase the size to 16 or so. Because Thai fonts have to squeeze the vowels that go above and below the consonants, as well as the tone marks, all within the character space, if you use 10 or 12 point, you're going to have very small characters.
julianq

Re: Thai Script in WORD

Postby Tobias » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

On Vista Home editions, you can install Language Interface Packs, which cover approx. 80% of the user interface. The full multilingual interface
packs are only available to those who have Ultimate. With cell phone spy a LIP installed you can not easily switch between languages. In order to return to your
previous one, you will have to uninstall the LIP.
Tobias

Previous

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings