thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby JaiDee » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:36 am

hi All,

First off, what a great site!! Keep up the good work fella's!!

OK, Can anyone help me with the location of any Thai handwriting fonts? I need these, for other reaons but he main one being for my Daughters schoolwork!! She much prefers doing he homework on the computer and it would be great if I could find her some of these fonts which would at least look like she had slaved over writing it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
JaiDee

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby Bryan.the.Scorpio » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:43 am

Hi คณใจดี,

Nice handle :) !

From my experience, there are only a few Thai handwritng fonts available for free download. The reason is simply that those font creators just wanna make some money, too. Still, there are some good URLs where you can browse and download them. Your daughter's gotta browse those Web pages, download the .ZIP font files, unzip them, and use some font utility (like the wonderful Sue Fisher's The Font Thing which I use right now) to view the character sets to see which one is a handwriting typeface. The JS Family (like JS Tina & JS Toomtam (Image http://www.thai-language.com/ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=43;t=000015) ) seem to contain some handwriting ones. Here are the URLs that I am positive she can find one or so:

• รวมฟอนต์ -- great site!
  • รวม Fonts ภาษาไทย ตระกูลต่างๆ -- another great site (click on the Ds, Js, P5, Sv, Dse, PSL links to download all sets)
  • MThai.com on Thai Fonts
Good luck. If there anything I can be of further help, please feel free to post.
Bryan.the.Scorpio

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby Bryan.the.Scorpio » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:52 am

FYI: I also replied David (Image http://www.thai-language.com/ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000001) regarding Luc Devroye's Thai Fonts Archive. There are bunch of links on his page.
Bryan.the.Scorpio

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby JaiDee » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:26 pm

Brian,

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. You never cease to amaze me by your knowledge!

My Daughter say's thanks a lot for the font sites, we have even been down to Phantip Plaza to try to get some on CD but no luck there but one message to you and an instant success! My Daughter, Asia says she will drop you a line in a couple days to thanks you personaly and says if she has any problem with her homework she knows where to come now!! :-)

Thanks again,

Rich
JaiDee

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby Bryan.the.Scorpio » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:23 pm

Hi คุณริช ใจดี & น้องเอเชีย,

You're very welcome ครับ. Anytime! I'm glad to hear that my post could help Asia (very nice name--I like it!)'s homework. :)

Hm...I'm surprised to hear that you both didn't have any luck shopping for such fonts @ Pantip Plaza, for I remember I used to see some decent CD-ROM collections that featured those fonts; That's more than five years ago, though. Anyhow, sometimes the best things in life are free, and they are up for grabs out there on the Web if you know how to search for them. :D All I did was type the key word ฟอนต์ on Google and hit enter; Google fetched all those results for me.

So what typeface or font family did Asia choose, and from which site(s)? Of course, if she had any problems at all about anything Thai, please let her know that she shouldn't be hesitate to e-mail me. I'll do my best to help ครับ.
Bryan.the.Scorpio

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby JaiDee » Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:09 am

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know how you keep up with the requests that you get on the site and have time to incorporate them all with work!!

Anyway, to ans=wer your question, Asia chose the JS font group from the site "รวม Fonts ภาษาไทย ตระกูลต่างๆ " which seemed to have them all.

Asia is 9 years old and attends school in Bangkok right now. She was born in Bangkok and then My Wife and I took her back to live in Australia. Her Thai is still far better than mine, youngsters seem to pick up languages exceptionally well. She speak already 6 languages - English, Thai, Lao, French. Arabic & Cantonese - put's me to shame!!

Thanks for the offer for her homework, I am sure at some point she will take you up on it!! :-)

Anything that we can do for you while over here let me know, you have been a great help.

Rich
JaiDee

Thai Handwriting Fonts

Postby Bryan.the.Scorpio » Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:37 am

Hi Khun Rich JaiDee

It's fun to reply to everyone here, because it's about the Thai and English languages I love. So most of the time I just completely lose myself in all the correspondence. Once I am done replying, I'll add those answers into Thai-Language.com's on-line dictionary database for future reference as well.

Yep, http://www.todayload.com/font.htm is the best in my opinion. :) The other day I even wrote to thank the Webmaster for putting up those fonts (and other great contents) gratis for us all.

JS Family is one of my favorites as well. Glad Asia chose that.

Lingistically speaking, your daughter is a precocious little girl indeed! Nine years old and six languages! That's amazing! The Lord Buddha once said the world will advance greatly if children are more gifted & better than and can outdo their parents. Such children are called อภิชาตบุตร or อภิชาตบุตรี. (I'll include these terms in our dictionary.)

Thanks for the offer for her homework, I am sure at some point she will take you up on it!! :-)

:: You're very welcome. Glad to help khrub.

Anything that we can do for you while over here let me know, you have been a great help.

:: Thank you for your kind offer, too. I'll take you up on it as well when I go to Australia. (Still have no clue when.) All right. Talk to you later khrub.
:)
Bryan.the.Scorpio

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings