thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Font size

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Font size

Postby Khun Andy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:24 am

G'Day,
Just a thought - would it be possible to use slightly larger font size when printing Thai characters on this messageboard? The font currently used is so small that its easy to confuse letters that are similar to one another, unless you are very familiar with and knowledgeable of written Thai, which I (and I suspect many others using the website) am not. The font size used on learningthai.com is much easier to read. Other than this small criticism I complement you on your excellent website.
Cheers
Andy
Khun Andy

Font size

Postby montrii » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:47 pm

Andy, I suggest changing your Internet Explorer (assuming that's the browser you're using) settings. You can set text size, font, etc . . . It might be just that. You can also set it to ignore the font sizes set in the web pages you're reading, and conform to a style you set yourself. If you aren't a geek already, this will get you started on The Path.
mirum est ut animus agitatione motuque corporis excitetur.
montrii

Font size

Postby Khun Andy » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:35 am

It worked! I just pressed "view", then "text size" and selected the largest one available and now it is crystal clear. It always helps of course to know how your internet program works - basic stuff really. Thanks.
Khun Andy

Font size

Postby Glenn Slayden » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:17 am

If you're going to print out the topics, don't forget that there's a "printer friendly" link at the bottom of this page which you can use for this purpose. Select the link and then use the browser's print function.

Glenn
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Font size

Postby Richard Wordingham » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:57 am

The real problem, of course, is that font sizes are specified in terms of their pitch (the minimum separation between successive lines). To get comparable legibility, one needs a different mechanism. For example for Thai (DB Thai or Angsana New) and Arial, I generally use a pitch ratio of 5:3, but for Thai and Times New Roman, 4:3 seems OK. The problem arises because the Thai pitch has to accommodate subscript vowels and superscript vowels and tonemarks. I get the impression that Word XP (Thai edition at least) offers different pitches for different character sets in the same style. Whether something similar is potentially available for these bulletin boards, I don't know.

Richard.
Richard Wordingham

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings