thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Thai cursive script and block script

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Postby Gillian » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:00 am

Is there a comparitive keyboard table for Thai cursive script and Thai block script?

I find it difficult to check the script from that given in prose, found in the 62 character styles in the Reference section.

Does the keyboard program cope with this.
Gillian

Postby Gillian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:11 am

First of all, I don't know how to reply to a private message by David and Bui that is supposedly on the messageboard, but isn't.

My question was about standard block script and what I call cursive script. I don't mean joined-up writing like we have in English. This could be difficult without a totally different method of forming letters that have 'tails'.

I just compared the first of the 62 graphic styles with the 44 letters of the associated pangram. Two of the letters No. 8 and No.16 of the Thai consonant table are almost indistinguishable from each other, and the Roman letter S. How is one supposed to know the difference except by context?
Gillian

Postby David and Bui » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:59 am

I am unable to change the fonts in http://www.thai-language.com/ref/typographical-styles . I don't know if my browser is having difficulty or whether the site is malfunctioning. Is anyone else having this difficulty?

However, the font that currently shows on screen - the first font - I believe illustrates Gillian's question.

In the first like is the word ประเสริฐ. The last two consonants in this word look strikingly similar, ignoring the curlicue under the last consonant. the first of these two is "" and the second is "".

In the fifth line is the word โกรธ. Here the last two consonants also look similar. The penultimate consonant is again "" and the final is "". In this font sent, "" has the same body shape as "", save for the curlicue.

Note, however, that the bottom portion of the "" in this font sent is identical to the top portion, giving a shape which does indeed resemble the English "S". On the other hand, the bottom portion of the "" and "" is slightly elongated and narrower than the upper portion.

I don't think that context is necessary to distinguish these elements, although it is certainly true that this font set does not highlight differences. I do not give these types of fonts high marks for legibility.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Rick Bradford » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:50 pm

I have trouble reading 'modern' fonts and also the Gothic-style font used in some places for religious purposes.

I remember seeing an excellent online page showing the Thai consonants in 20 or so different fonts.

Does anyone know where that resource is located?
Rick Bradford

Postby David and Bui » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Rick,

Try here: http://www.learningthai.com/thaifonts.html

and the individual pages where the fonts are shown in the form of letters of the alphabet.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby David and Bui » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:08 am

Glenn has now repaired his fonts page at:

http://www.thai-language.com/ref/typographical-styles

You can click on any of the font boxes to see a fuller version of a particular font.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Rick Bradford » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:46 pm

A great resource.

Thanks Glenn and David.
Rick Bradford

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings