thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Thai subtitling

Typing, encoding, and display of Thai characters

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Thai subtitling

Postby JingJo Thames » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:01 am

This is a question posed to me by a friend. Wondering if anyone here might help.

Hey โจ้..have you ..or someone you know ever tried to put Thai subtitles to an English-language movie? if so, what program did you use? i've been trying but there seems to be a problem with 'encoding' the language or something to that effect. from what i've learned, it's not as simple as opening up the file with an editor and typing in the Thai because it all turns into question marks when you load it in the movie or re-load it in the editor.

Thank you!

โจ้
โจ้

bir dil asla yeterli değildir ~ one language is never enough
JingJo Thames

Re: Thai subtitling

Postby Nan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 am

คุณโจ้

เพื่อนคุณโจ้เขียนซับไตเติ้ลโดยใช้โปรแกรมอะไรคะ ถ้าเขาทำเสร็จแล้ว สามารถอัพโหลดให้ซับแสดงได้ ปัญหาก็คือ font ที่เขาใช้ เขาต้องไปเซ็ท font ให้ตรงกับที่เครื่องรองรับ โดยมากจะใช้ Tahoma ขั้นตอนการทำซับไตเติ้ลด้วยตัวเองจะมีเยอะมาก รวมทั้งโปรแกรมต่าง ๆ ที่ใช้ด้วย ถ้าแตกต่างกัน วิธีแก้ปัญหาก็ต่างกันไป ยังไงคุณโจ้ลองถามรายละเอียดจากเพื่อนคุณโจ้มาอีกทีนะคะ
Nan

Postby JingJo Thames » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:14 am

ขอบคุณครับ งั้นถามรายละเอียดก่อนแล้วค่อยว่ากันอีกทีดีกว่านะ

แต่ส่วนใหญ่จะใช้ font Tahoma สำหรับซับไทยเหรอคับ เพื่อนเขาเขียนซับเป็นไทยนะ ไม่ได้เขียนเป็นภาษาอังกฤษครับ

โจ้ไม่รู้เรื่องเลยอ่ะ ฮ่าๆๆ ไม่เคยทำเรื่องซับไตเติ้ลมาก่อนคับ ขอโทษทีถ้าทำให้งง

โจ้
โจ้

JingJo Thames

Postby JingJo Thames » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

คำตอบจากเพื่อนนะครับคือดังต่อไปนี้
i primarily used 'Subtitle Edit' (it's well known). however, when i use it to load subtitles from say, Thaisubtitles.org, it doesn't look correct (it's just random characters). i get the same problem in other programs.

when it opens in word 2007, word gives me a choice of how to encode it and from there i can choose Thai to read it. but i can't edit it there, and it doesn't solve the problem with the player.

various players, including VLC, wouldn't show the correct Thai subtitles...even after choosing the correct encoding. eventually i found a player called Kantaris that will view them.

it appears that other people use these programs for making and viewing Thai subtitles but i don't know what the deal is with my setup.

Subtitle Edit has this interesting function in which it can translate subtitles, using Google Translator. so i took an English set of subtitles and translated it to Thai. through that way, the program will read Thai. then i can go in and edit. but it doesn't seem like there is any way to import previously made Thai subtitles or write them from scratch on my own. this seems so complicated, and that's why i asked if you knew what program to use to make/edit and view Thai subtitles.

โจ้
โจ้

JingJo Thames

Postby Nan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 pm

คุณโจ้

ซับที่ได้จากเวปไทยซับไตเติ้ล เมื่อดาวน์โหลดมาจะเป็นโปรแกรม .ssa ซึ่งแก้ไขไม่ได้ คุณโจ้ให้เพื่อนคุณโจ้ convert .ssa file to .srt ก่อนนะคะ

เข้าไปที่เวปนี้ http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_subtitles_from_ssa_to_srt.cfm แล้วก็ดาวน์โหลดโปรแกรม Vobsub จากนั้นก็แปลงไฟล์ให้เป็น .srt

หลังจากนั้นก็เปิดไฟล์ซับไตเติ้ลนี้ขึ้นมาได้ด้วย notepad ซึ่งสามารถแก้ไขได้ตามต้องการ

Before playing the movie with Thai subtitle, he has to rename the file to match with the original file. This should solve his problem.

But if he still can't get it right, tell him to add my skype account (nantiwa_m), so I can explain it to him step by step easily.

P.S. I use VLC player without any problem.
Nan

Postby JingJo Thames » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:56 am

ว้าว พี่มีความรู้มากพอสมควรทางด้านนี้นะครับ เก่งจัง

บอกเพื่อนแล้วนะครับ เดี๋ยวรอให้เขาลองอีกทีก่อน หรือเขาอาจจะติดต่อกับพี่โดยตรงก็ได้

ขอบคุณมากที่ให้คำปรึกษานะครับ

โจ้
โจ้

JingJo Thames

Return to Fonts, Keyboards, Character Encodings