thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

AnkiMobile

Using Thai on your iPhone, cell-phone, or mobile device

Moderator: acloudmovingby

AnkiMobile

Postby daฟาน » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:07 pm

hey... I just saw this subforum and wanted to write about my experience with AnkiMobile:

First of all, there are 2 free versions: iAnki and AnkiMini but both of them do not offer the whole features and as Anki's creater Damien offers the Desktop Client and the Server storage for free, I honestly believe the price for AnkiMobile is more than justified (besides that it is an awesome program with a strong support).

Anki is a Flashcard program based on SRS - spaced repetition system. The aim is to show you vocabularies just a short time before you would actually forget them and for me this worked damn well :D

most imporant features to me:
easy synchronizing (I use Anki on 2 laptops, my desktop computer and AnkiMobile - the desktop clients will automatically sync and the AnkiMobile will do it by pressing just one button - easy like that
written test feature since the latest version
media (pics, sound files, ...)
creating/editing words
search function

there are way more features, but those mentioned above are the most imporant ones to me

I don't think there is any other app for learning Thai out there that could compete with AnkiMobile at this moment.

other devices than iPhone/iPad/i... i hate apple lol... anyway... Anki will be available for a few other devices and I think it is completely free for most of them, for example there's a program called AnkiDroid or something for the Android users. Completely free, yet a different author and it does not contain all of the features of AnkiMobile yet. Anyway, check it out... you will love it...

Besides that... the more Anki users we will get here, the more decks we will be able to share (:
daฟาน

Re: AnkiMobile

Postby <b>a</b> » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:56 pm

ไม่เข้าใจน่ะ
<b>a</b>

Postby daฟาน » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 pm

ทำไม

welcome to the forum!

my thai is not good yet so there is no chance to explain anki in thai :D it is a vocabulary software which is awesome and completely free for the normal computer (windows, apple, linix, ubuntu or what it's called - everything works)

this thread is about anki mobile - an application for the iphone which is very handy but not free

the bigger the anki community gets the more benefit we get out of it by better decks and better thai support (:
daฟาน

Postby Viviane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 am

Great mobile device. :) I use my Thai phrase book on my Blackberry and iPhone. Hope I can use my dictionary on the AnkiMobile. ;)
Viviane

Postby daฟาน » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 pm

there a lot of very useful apps on the iPhone, it's just a pity that the software subforum here is not really used :D

I just checked out your app, looks nice as well but also quite expensive for an application - is it worth the extra money? (saw some phrase book apps for less money)

for Anki / AnkiMobile - it is a totally different concept. Anki is for any language, not only Thai. It's basically just the learning software. There are also a lot of (nice) shared vocabulary decks, but I honestly prefer having my own deck.
I got 2322 cards already (writing, listening, reading together - 80%).

Oh for anyone who uses AnkiMobile as well: there is a Scratch Pad Plug-in. I didn't know about that for a long time, but it's pretty handy. It is actually made for Japenese letters but anyway you can draw the Thai letters as well of course. I made a deck for that one with all consonants and vowals - if anyone is interested, just let me know (:
daฟาน

Postby JNetto » Sun May 01, 2011 2:35 am

Hey can anyone give me a key to use the decks you created for Thai?

The Anki online showed this message: "To get a key, ask your friend to share their deck, by clicking on "manage", and then "share"."

Thanks,

Jeff
JNetto

Postby daฟาน » Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 am

I cannot share my deck due to copyright reasons...

Just download a "shared deck" to try it out. If you do not know how to do this feel free to msg me again.

In my opinion Anki is most effective when you create your own deck anyway. I tried to use other people's decks in order to refresh my French and it didn't work out for me at all. There were so many words that I didn't need in Anki (may it be too easy or too hard). So if you are new to Anki I suggest you to get some shared Thai deck, try it out for a while and if you like it then create your own Thai deck! This will be the best thing. I have over 1000 facts and 3000 cards (different templates, reading&writing etc) and all of them were created by myself. Just add a few cards per weeks or important words after you see them somewhere and your deck will increase it's size faster than you think.
daฟาน

Postby Aalia Nebhan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 am

I basically haven't bought Anki for my iPad yet accurately because I'm not obtaining any reaction from the online account--at least it doesn't appear to be syncing anything.

The iPad application is very costly, and I don't prefer to buy it unless I know it will do what I want it to.

[edit: advertising removed]
Aalia Nebhan

Postby daฟาน » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Aalia Nebhan wrote:I basically haven't bought Anki for my iPad yet accurately because I'm not obtaining any reaction from the online account--at least it doesn't appear to be syncing anything.

The iPad application is very costly, and I don't prefer to buy it unless I know it will do what I want it to.

[edit: advertising removed]

well it does sync just fine.
actually the only thing that got better with anki 2.0 is the mobile version as you can now add pictures or sounds anywhere and directly link it to all your anki clients which is pretty awesome

if it does not sync well, then you should check out the help section in the anki google groups

the 20 euro that i spend on anki mobile more than a year ago where the best i've ever spend with any software
daฟาน

Return to Mobile Devices