thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Site "contains text" search should include "exact search"

Usage questions, bug reports, and feature requests for this web site

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Site "contains text" search should include "exact search"

Postby chiangmaishrek » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:15 am

When you do a site search (via the "Lookup:" box in the top left of the website), the "contains text" search should always include an "exact search" as a subset of what is asked for.

Note that I am not asking for "exact" to be the default search, but rather that the "contains text" always includes an exact search and gives priority to this at the top of the "contains text" listing.

Example:
Today I was looking up the Thai text for "cleaning rag" for use on my own website. "cleaning rag" was not found at all (using a "contains text") search. OK, fair enough. I then did a search for "rag" (not changing the default options, set to "contains text"). I then get 8 pages of words which use rag (which is fine), but the top ones in the list are not the most useful, and none on the first page are an exact match for "rag", e.g.:
  • courageous
  • fragmented
  • etc.

I then had to go into the search options ">> more options here" and change to an exact search, and then it immediately found the exact word I was looking for.

The above is a frequent use-case which I follow: type in a search term, get too many results, and the exact match not at the top of the list, change to "exact search" and find what I was looking for.

Wouldn't it be much friendlier if the "contains text" search returned a special section at the top of "Exact matches", rather like the search gives a special "N common words" section? In this case the word "rag" (http://www.thai-language.com/id/202688) would appear at the top and then the other 8 pages of matches would follow.
chiangmaishrek

Re: Site "contains text" search should include "exact search"

Postby Phaethon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Seconded (sort of). I've often thought it would be useful to have a little check-box to engage 'exact' mode in the lookup box - there's room to the left of the GO button. Rather than go to the more options page and wait for the whole page to load.
Ken, บางวาก
Phaethon

Re: Site "contains text" search should include "exact search"

Postby Glenn Slayden » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Not sure if these comments predated the new search feature that was implemented at /dict/search (the 'Dictionary' tab at the top of the screen) on this site. If you're not aware of the newer mode, it uses a completely different search technology based on a a prefix trie and statistical word use frequencies.
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Return to thai-language.com: Issues, Problems, Suggestions