thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Blessing a new house

Religion, customs, politics, film, music, television

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Blessing a new house

Postby spiny » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 pm

I am going to attend a new house blessing ceremony in Muang Loei on Saturday. What sequence of events can I expect and how long will the ceremony last. (I have a problem with my knees)
spiny
spiny

Blessing a new house

Postby David and Bui » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Spiny,

Congratulations, if it is your new house. I wish I could tell you how long these ceremonies take. I am here in the South and ceremonies tend not to last more than a few hours. The heart of the proceedings are the monks' blessings and the meals, as always. However, regional differences abound and there are differences between functions in the urban areas and in rural areas. Given where your are, expect the ceremonies to be elaborate; and, allocate a whole day to be on the safe side.

As for sitting, the custom now-a-days, especially for farang and older people, is for the host to provide chairs. Old knees are old knees, from whatever culture the people come.

If the house is not yours, consider giving a house-warming present. Money is always appreciated, unless there are local customs to the contrary.

Watch for the firecrackers to drive evil spirits away. When you get back, please post and let us know how the ceremony went. Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Blessing a new house

Postby AchromatReader » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:42 am

However, there is a small chance this was only the "pre-blessing" event called ขึ้นบ้าน kheunF baanF. In Isaan this ceremony is required before anybody is allowed to stay overnight in the new house.
The elders say a prayer and perform a few ritual doings. No monks around. All attendees are then asked to carry one item necessary for everyday's life and "ascend" the house.
Eventually they have an early lunch, ก้อย and ลาบ that is. The blokes have a quick beer or some เหล้า. No chance to get drunk, though, as the whole procedure including the meal takes not more than two hours.
The event starts at 8 or 9 a.m. and must end well before noon.
The actual house-warming/house-blessing party may take place a few weeks afterwards, when everything in and around the house is nice and tidy.
AchromatReader

Return to Culture and Current Events