thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Favorite Thai Foods

Religion, customs, politics, film, music, television

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Favorite Thai Foods

Postby David and Bui » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:14 am

Seems to me that we have not had a robust discussion regarding food for a while. Let me tell you what we had for dinner at “ปากน้ำซีฟูด” restaurant in Phuket tonight:

1. ปูหลน is a wonderful concoction of ปู (crab meat); กะทิ (coconut cream); ตะไคร้ (lemon grass cut fine); หอมแดง (red onion) and เต้าเจี้ยว (fermented soy beans). You might think this makes a strange combination but the result is ambrosia itself.

2. หัวปลาต้มเผือก is a stew-like combination of fish heads and taro-root. Don’t dismiss it; yes, the potato-like taro is purple but the consistency is most pleasant and the fish stock in which the combination is served is wonderful.

3. ยำถั่วพรู is one of the many Thai-style traditional salads whose primary characteristic is the dressing composed of coriander, peppers, garlic, sugar, salt, and vinegar. ถั่วพรู is sort of like a Bizzaro version of a string bean with corners and wings along its edges. The beans are chopped crosswise into small pieces and mixed with minced pork, small shrimp, and the ยำ sauce. God knows what else is mixed in!

4. ปลาผัดชา is fish stir fried with tea leaves. Fish can be prepared so many ways here, steamed with lime; steamed with dried Chinese plum (บ๊วย); steamed with soy sauce; fried or stir fried with fish sauce (yes, this sounds like a biblical injunction); and, my favorite, ปลาเผา (broiled whole fish). This latter dish is a Phuket specialty, closer to “luau”, than to grilled fish. The crowning glory to this delicate cooking method is the tamarind sauce (น้ำจิ้มมะขาม) which is liberally applied to the succulent pieces of white fish as it is eaten. But I digress.

Would any of you like to share regarding your favorite Thai food?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Favorite Thai Foods

Postby simonbournemouth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 am

อร่อยไหมครับ คุณเดวิด

All this talk of food has made me hungry, and look forward with relish to my return to Thailand at the beginning of December.

One of my favourite Thai dishes has to be แกงส้ม (gaeng sôm), a sour, spicy dish, which can be made with fruit, vegetables or flowers. แกงส้มทุเรียน (gaeng sôm thú-rian), gaeng sôm with durian fruit is a particular favourite of mine.
simonbournemouth

Postby Nan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:28 am

โดนคุณ Simon ตัดหน้า แย่งตอบ แกงส้มไปแล้ว :D

คุณ Simon ได้ลองทาน แกงส้มทุเรียน แล้วหรือคะ รสชาติเป็นอย่างไรบ้าง รู้สึกว่าจะเป็นอาหารปักษ์ใต้นะคะ ทางภาคกลางยังไม่เคยเห็นเลย

คุณเดวิดคะ อ่านเมนูอาหารของคุณเดวิดแล้วหิวเชียว

ยำถั่วพู ถ้าหากอยากลองทำเอง ดูได้ที่นี่นะคะ http://topicstock.pantip.com/food/topicstock/2009/08/D8239263/D8239263.html มีการแสดงวิธีการทำอย่างละเอียดให้ดูด้วยค่ะ

ปลาผัดฉ่า ก็น่าทานนะคะ

ส่วนน้ำจิ้มมะขาม คนไทยมักจะเรียกว่า น้ำปลาหวาน ลองดูวิธีทำที่นี่นะคะ http://topicstock.pantip.com/food/topicstock/2008/12/D7297739/D7297739.html

ได้น้ำจิ้มน้ำปลาหวานแล้ว ก็ทำเมนูใหม่ได้อีกอย่าง คือ ไข่ลูกเขย ดูวิธีการทำที่นี่ค่ะ http://topicstock.pantip.com/food/topicstock/D3522965/D3522965.html ผัดเผ็ดหน่อไม้ไก่ ก็อร่อยนะคะ เคยลองทานแล้วยัง :D

A couple days ago, I went to Banglumpu, the same area as Kaosaan Road, I bought น้ำพริกลงเรือ, น้ำพริกแกงเขียวหวาน, เครื่องแกงพริกขิง from ร้านน้ำพริกแม่นิตยา. This store is very famous at selling good curry paste. So, today, I cooked ข้าวผัดน้ำพริกลงเรือ for my dinner. My dish is similar to this picture. http://j.static.fsanook.com/category/2009/08/13/5/b/5479715_2.jpg :D
Nan

Postby David and Bui » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 am

simonbournemouth wrote:
อร่อยไหมครับ คุณเดวิด

All this talk of food has made me hungry, and look forward with relish to my return to Thailand at the beginning of December.

One of my favourite Thai dishes has to be แกงส้ม (gaeng sôm), a sour, spicy dish, which can be made with fruit, vegetables or flowers. แกงส้มทุเรียน (gaeng sôm thú-rian), gaeng sôm with durian fruit is a particular favourite of mine.

Wow! แกงส้ม is really an acquired taste; I'm proud of you. In the South here, cooks substitute ยอดมะพร้าว (coconut palm tips) for หน่อไม้ (bamboo shoots). The result is a slightly sweeter flavor.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby simonbournemouth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Nan wrote:โดนคุณ Simon ตัดหน้า แย่งตอบ แกงส้มไปแล้ว :D

คุณ Simon ได้ลองทาน แกงส้มทุเรียน แล้วหรือคะ รสชาติเป็นอย่างไรบ้าง รู้สึกว่าจะเป็นอาหารปักษ์ใต้นะคะ ทางภาคกลางยังไม่เคยเห็นเลย

ได้ลองทานแล้วน่ะครับ คุณนัน รสชาติอรีด่อย :mrgreen: ผมชอบทานอาหารเผ็ดจัด น่าจะเป็นอาหารปักษ์ใต้ได้ ผมเคยทานที่ ชุมพร แล้วก็ เกาะพงัน น่ะครับ

@ David, yes I've eaten it with ยอดมะพร้าว also, a delicious dish!
Last edited by simonbournemouth on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonbournemouth

Postby simonbournemouth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 pm

As we are on the subject of food, I thought you may find these pictures interesting;

http://dunbine.exteen.com/20090906/entry
simonbournemouth

Postby David and Bui » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Amazing Thailand! I have never seen "ก๋วยเตี๋ยวลูกชิ้นยักษ์" before. On the other hand, I have never seen "แกงส้มทุเรียน" before. Something new every day. Thanks, Simon, for those pictures.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby simonbournemouth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:28 pm

David and Bui wrote:Amazing Thailand! I have never seen "ก๋วยเตี๋ยวลูกชิ้นยักษ์" before.

Yes, and as the name suggests, they are enormous... weighing in at half a kilo!
simonbournemouth

Postby mangkorn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Nan wrote:ได้น้ำจิ้มน้ำปลาหวานแล้ว ก็ทำเมนูใหม่ได้อีกอย่าง คือ ไข่ลูกเขย

คุณนันครับ ทำไมอาหารจานนั้นเรียกว่า "ไข่ลูกเขย" ผมอ่านคำศัพท์เนี่ยแล้วก็ตกตะลึงจริง :shock:
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Postby David and Bui » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Nan wrote:ส่วนน้ำจิ้มมะขาม คนไทยมักจะเรียกว่า น้ำปลาหวาน ลองดูวิธีทำที่นี่นะคะ http://topicstock.pantip.com/food/topicstock/2008/12/D7297739/D7297739.html

ปุ๋ยอธิบายว่า "น้ำจิ้มมะขาม" และ "น้ำปลาหวาน" ไม่เหมือนกัน น้ำปลาหวานมีส่วนประสมตั้งต่อไปนี้ั น้ำปลา, น้ำตาลปี๊บ, หอมแดงซอย, กุ้งแห้งป่น, พริกแห้งป่นหรือสดซอย (ต้องเคี่ยว) แต่น้ำมะขามเปี่ยกมีส่วนประสมอย่างนี้ น้ำปลา, หอมซอย, พริกขี้หนูหั่น, น้ำมะขามเปียกขยำข้นๆ ผสมสดไม่เคี่ยว

ปัญหาอยู่กับผมเอง ผมเขียนผิด ผมเขียนน้ำจิ้มมะขามผมคงจะเขียนน้ำมะขามเปียก

ผมอยากเชิญคุณนันและครอบครัวลงมาภูเก็ตทานปลาเผาด้วยกัน
David in Houston
David and Bui

Next

Return to Culture and Current Events