thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Rak Thai Language School

Immersive programs, classroom study and private instruction, worldwide.

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: Rak Thai Language School

Postby tod-daniels » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am

Sometimes that "overly formal" Thai foreign learners get spoon fed in Thai language school gets met with more than blank stares...

I've seen Thais act peeved (or as peeved as Thais are apt to act given that they rarely telegraph emotions ;) ) when they're spoken to by a foreigner in overly formal-ish Thai. It's almost as if they think the foreigner is "takin' the piss", because that Thai is never addressed in that fashion by anyone else.

Thankfully, for the most part, the Thais are pretty easy going, and ANY foreigner making an effort to speak Thai is usually given a "free pass" with any "fox-paws" (faux pas) they make.

Speaking too high above someone's station is nearly as bad as me speaking to everyone with แก-เธอ and using เรา insteada ผม when I hafta use a first person pronoun. Still at least I'm not a กู'er or a มึง'er :o.. That just drives me up the wall when I hear foreigners spit those out when they're talkin' to Thais they don't know really well :x . Usually that's enough of a joke to take the "crankiness" out of them and deal with me..

The only time I'll use กู is when I ask a Thai who's cranky with me, if they know who my father is รู้ว่าพ่อกูเป็นใคร :shock: (which BTW is what all the hi-so thai kids say when ever they run amuck :lol: ). It never fails to get a great laugh outta the Thais because; face it my father isn't anyone special here, in fact he's not even here at all!! :D

Sometimes it's a tough balancing act knowing what level of Thai to use with the Thai you're talkin' to. I think we as non-native speakers will never be able to seamlessly transition between the registers like Thais do.

I used to always tell Thais that I spoke Thai with a สำเนียงแปลก ๆ, but I had one Thai tell me last nite that it's better to say it more along the lines of ผูดไทยแปร่ง ๆ. .. Dunno which is better because I sure have an accent that's awfully "black-black". . .

Sorry for the off-topic..
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby daฟาน » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:17 pm

หัวล้านครึ่งบ้าน was one of the words we learned a couple of days ago
I thought it's funny enough to add it here

also:
หน้าอก:
แตงโม
สนามบิน / ไข่ดาว
daฟาน

Postby daฟาน » Sun May 05, 2013 2:12 pm

I finished speaking 4 last week. All in all I was very happy and even though a few phrases sounded obsolete or at least I have never heard them on the street, I was generally satisfied with what I got.
This month I will stay at the same school and study the newspaper course. In the first lesson we got 3 pages of general introduction to Thai newspapers (what are newspaper, what categories etc + some vocabularies). The students, this time 2, could then decide which newspaper they would like to read and then we will go through articles of our choice. The teacher explains unknown words very good (if one of the students know the word, this student will be asked to try to explain it first) and so far the course is paying off well for me. Sometimes we get a little bit offtopic, which is however not a problem as the subject is pretty tough for me.
daฟาน

Postby tod-daniels » Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 am

That newspaper course can be a real challenge to get thru. I sat an hour of it at another school and it was TOUGH!!

I found it hard because of the incredibly high use of abbreviations and idiomatic expressions in almost every newspaper out there. I understand why they use abbreviations; because two or three letters takes up a LOT less space than most of those "government words" in Thai.

Glad that conversation class worked out okay for you.

Let us know how that newspaper course progresses :)

You should come to the school downstairs and sit an hour of the Saturday morning Thai class just to see what their "higher level" class is like.

They'll let you sit an hour for free I'm sure. Lemme know..
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby daฟาน » Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am

the big one with the toefl/ielts/cu-tep preperation courses? directly in front of the building right?
been there once for cu-tep information, they were really kind - i'll give it a try but the school looks pretty expensive
have you been there yet?

today was my 2nd day... I start to get a bit disappointed as the pace seems to be pretty slowly... As I mentioned we got a 2 pages long introduction about newspapers in Thailand. Today is officially the 3rd day, altough the 2nd day no students went to the school. So we spend 6 hours on page 1 so far, tomorrow we will start doing page 2 + maybe newspapers if we can do it in time.
Well of course the speed depends on the student and also a slow speed means more detailed explanation for each word, but honestly 6 hours for 1 page is a little bit too slow for my taste. Maybe it improves though - let's see
The teacher offers to give homeworks, I think it's a good idea because so far my Thai sentences were never corrected. However some students might not want that option so I'm not sure if eventuelly we will get homework or not.
+ there was a tiny attempt to try to change the subject of the class, which was unexpected for me. basically altough the teacher saw me typing Thai on a German keyboard (no visible Thai letters) she still asked me if I could read and write Thai well enough, because I did not attend the "writing courses" at the mentioned school... well yeah... I probably write faster than some Thais even if my eyes are closed so I didn't really appreciate that but... the background reason could have been that the other student actually would like to study something else (just didn't go for that course because there was no other student and didn't want to study alone)
Anyway today lowered my high expectations that I had from the first day. However I'm still looking forward to the actual newspaper reading.
daฟาน

Previous

Return to Thai Language Instruction