thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Best Advanced intensive school(s) in Thailand

Immersive programs, classroom study and private instruction, worldwide.

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: Best Advanced intensive school(s) in Thailand

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:57 am

Thomas wrote:

What is your opinion as to 'learning to write Thai by hand'?

Everybody has their own method. I was initially attracted to Thai because of the calligraphy so I feel that handwriting is very worthwhile. If learned properly, as one becomes more able handwriting starts to resemble the strange fonts encountered everyday. It would be difficult to study if one couldn't make notes also, so for me if I couldn't write I couldn't study.
Tgeezer

Postby tod-daniels » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:27 am

I think learning to write thai is a one trick pony that provides little bang-for-the-baht in terms of return on investment.. In all my travels to all the various thai language schools I've never met a foreigner who could write thai fast and clear enough to have it be benifical to them..

I spent a long time developing my own style of handwritten thai and can write pretty darned fast, but it's almost worthless in todays day and age.. When I learned to write thai I purposely left the "headz" off of the thai characters. It's totally readable to thaiz, although the thai teachers who saw it says they were beaten in school if they wrote thai that way... <- why does that NOT surprise me in the least :?

Now with that being said, possessing the ability to touch type thai is worth its weight in gold!

Still, if you're dead set on learning to write thai, get these two books put out by AUA;
ImageImage
Interestingly enough it's the "R" book "mostly reading" which will show you how to "speed up your thai", as in learn to write faster while still retaining the characteristics thaiz look for when identifying various characters. It has sample thai text written by guyz and gurlz and gives good information on how to really make your written thai look like a grown up wrote it versus having it look a kid who was tracing characters in those กอ-ไก่, ขอ-ไข่ bookz. ;)

Good Luck... :)
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby elizabeth23 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Anybody else here have experience with Duke Language School? Their website http://dukelanguage.com/ looks very promising and I've heard a lot of good stuffs about them but I want to know who else have their experience with Duke. Much appreciated! Thanks!
elizabeth23

Postby tod-daniels » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:55 am

The above "one-post-wonder" reads like a shill plugging the school, without having the slightest idea what it's about. :x :o :shock: :?

Sad really because it's a good school.. :)

Except for the half-wit marketing company they seem to employ which puts the same mangled engrish posts all over the inter-web.

In reading the engrish I'd bet dollars to durian a filipino wrote it. :oops:
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Previous

Return to Thai Language Instruction