thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
» more options here

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

New Requirements for Teaching in Thailand

Visas and planning your residency in Thailand

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: New Requirements for Teaching in Thailand

Postby KruThomas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 pm

You're very welcome.

So far, nothing has changed. But, a new government starting today! Who knows!

Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Samutprakarn, Thailand

Re: New Requirements for Teaching in Thailand

Postby KruThomas » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am

Hello All,

I need to preface this posting by saying that what I have written below pertains to people wanting to teach at government or private grade schools or high schools. I do not have any information on teaching at language schools or at the university level. I believe the rules are different, but never having done either, I don't know for sure.

For those of you who are considering teaching in Thailand, the Ministry of Education has changed things again as of Aug 1, 2013.

As of Aug 1, all of your documents required for your teacher's license, (e.g. degrees, certificates) (I will try to get a formal list when things settle down) now need to come with a letter from the US Embassy stating that you have sworn that these documents are real. It is a simple task to do this here. However, if you swear an oath to the US government that something is real and then it is found out that it isn't, you will be in big trouble with the US government. So, forget the fake degrees and certifications.

I would like to try and clarify the process for becoming a teacher here now. I apologize in advance for the confusion. However, it is Thailand and things change all the time.

If you want to teach at a government or private grade school or high school in Thailand, you should check websites for job listings. If you find something that interests you, send them your resume.

If they are interested, they will tell you to get a 90 day tourist visa and what documents you need to bring with you. When you arrive, the school will make copies of your documents (I'm assuming that now you have to have the letter from the Embassy at this point as well) and put together a package that they will take to the Ministry of Education or Thai Teacher's Council. If they like your paperwork, they will issue you a two year temporary license. With this, the school can proceed to get you a one year visa and work permit.

In the next two years, you must complete what is called the 'Thai Cultural Course.' At some point, the school will take your paperwork which now includes your certificate for the Cultural course to the Ministry of Education and get you a five year teacher's license. Once you have the little wallet card and piece of paper that goes with it, you should be home free as far as the Ministry of Education is concerned.

Something to beware of: If you leave the school where you are teaching before you are granted a five year license, everything is cancelled at the Ministry of Education including your Culture Course. It appears that the Ministry will not grant you another temporary license either. So, you have no option but to find a different line of work, go to work for a language school, or leave the country. So my advice is to initially find a good school to start with and stay with them at least until you have your five year license.

After you have your five year license, you can get a job anywhere in the Kingdom and don't have to muck with the MoE anymore.

My next post will be on proposed changes to the Thai tax law concerning foreigners. It looks like things are going to get messy, but this being Thailand, who knows.

Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Samutprakarn, Thailand


Return to Work, Retire, or Study

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Copyright © 2020 Portions copyright © by original authors, rights reserved, used by permission; Portions 17 USC §107.