thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Flashcards for Thai?

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Flashcards for Thai?

Postby alex9374 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:45 pm

For many years I used flashcards to help me learn Japanese characters. There are a lot on the market and are easy to find. Now that I am studying Thai I was hoping to find flashcards commercially available to help me review the letters and basic vocab. Anyone know where I can get some?? Thanks!
alex9374

Flashcards for Thai?

Postby teacher_oy » Thu May 11, 2006 7:54 am

I dont know sorry but if your interested I can teach you
teacher_oy

Flashcards for Thai?

Postby obwan » Mon May 15, 2006 1:29 pm

http://www.learningthai.com/flashcards/index.html

also if you are in Bangkok, the school supplies department store on RatchaDamNoen between McDonalds and Thanon Thanao has flashcards as well as about all of the books and materials used in Thai education system.

Chok Dii
obwan

Flashcards for Thai?

Postby montrii » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:42 pm

Also, I think the See-Ed (not exactly sure it's spelled like that) bookstores carry them, and they're all over the place in BKK.
mirum est ut animus agitatione motuque corporis excitetur.
montrii

Re: Flashcards for Thai?

Postby ThaiLanguageAcademy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 am

Allow me to pick up on this thread in case someone is interested.

I have written this blog post about flashcards and how they can be used to learn and build your vocabulary in Thai:

http://thai-language-academy.net/build-vocabulary-thai-flashcards/
Thai Language Academy
www.thai-language-academy.net
ThaiLanguageAcademy

Postby acloudmovingby » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:03 pm

I use Anki religiously. It has helped me a lot. You can find flashcards through the Anki website.

You can find beginner decks through the Anki site, though I think a lot of people benefit from building their own decks because you select the phrases/terms that you really want to learn and you also get practice typing in Thai!

One thing to be mindful of is "top 1000 word lists" for Thai. When I first began I tried studying this way, but in reality I think those lists are inherently flawed because Thai words are so often conjoined together. What happens is smaller sub-words get listed as the most common words, but in reality you never encounter those on your own.

What I do (this can work if you don't read, but works wayyyy better if you can already read Thai): As I read I look up words I don't know in the poorly named app "Dict Box" which is a Thai dictionary. This is good for two reasons: 1) it has a variety of dictionaries within the app already and 2) it can show you a list of the words you have looked up the most. After a period of time (say, 2 months), take the top words that you keep looking up and put them in Anki. This is very efficient because it not only shows you the words you most frequently encounter but it also shows the words you most frequently forget (important!). Once I started doing this method, after 6 months or so of studying these "top" words in Anki, I noticed reading was much faster because I wasn't wasting time learning words I didn't need to know and instead I had memorized the words that were most commonly seen. My reading (and listening) skills improved dramatically after that. One caveat of this method is that if you encounter a word several times repeatedly in a book/article and it seems to only have topical relevance (say you're reading an article about Jamaican Gumbo and you find the Thai word for "gumbo" eighteen times), then you have to make sure to only look it up once for that page (even if you forget the meaning a few sentences later) so it doesn't show up as a "must" learn word.
acloudmovingby

Postby Tomke__987 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 pm

I agree, you should really try Anki. It really helped me build my vocabularly.

I started out with a downloadable 'standard thai vocubalarly'. If you enjoy the flashcards, you should try out building your own 'deck of cards'.
Even more efficient :)
Tomke__987

Postby Toffeeman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:12 am

I'm an Anki man too. Built a number of decks over the years. Generally start again when I get a new device. I have 1 deck for words and another for sentences. Been invaluable in helping me build up and remember my vocab.
Toffeeman

Postby ThaiLanguageAcademy » Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 am

I have made a deck of flashcards on https://quizlet.com/ to help beginners learn some useful phrases in Thai. The flashcards contain audio to listen to and help practise pronunciation of the phrases, and I have included some notes as well to explain the basics.

Download the Quizlet app to your smartphone or tablet. Once you have registered a free account with Quizlet, you can request to access the deck of flashcards titled 'Basic phrases in Thai (with audio)' here:

https://quizlet.com/join/czbp7qJ2Z

When you have 5-10 minutes to spare, flick through the flashcards in the deck and try to learn and memorise 1-3 phrases at a time. Then use these phrases as often as you can.

I hope these flashcards will be helpful and may serve as an inspiration to get started learning the Thai language. Comments are more than welcome.
Last edited by ThaiLanguageAcademy on Wed May 11, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thai Language Academy
www.thai-language-academy.net
ThaiLanguageAcademy

Postby David and Bui » Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 am

Thank you so much, TLA. However, I see that one cannot access these cards without being signed up. I see that in order to access your site, one needs to be a paid member. Since Thai-language.com does not accept advertising, paid or otherwise, for commercial enterprises, we are not able to allow further advertising for your site.

You may continue to post information about your site that is accessible free of charge, however.

I wish you the best of luck with your language teaching enterprise.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Next

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites