thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Studying grammar books effectively

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Studying grammar books effectively

Postby qwerty » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:45 pm

So far I've read David Smyths Essential Thai Grammar and now moving to Hgibie And Thinsans Reference Grammar. I was wondering how other people study grammar books? I've read through the David Smyths Essential Thai Grammar dozens of times, thought still need to read it many more times before mastering it all. As it's not that long book it doesn't take take that much time. But Hgibies and Thinsans has about four times more text, so it might take several months before you've read it through. Rushing isn't good method anyway for learning. So how do you read it? Do you make example sentences with each new topic you're learning? Any hints?
qwerty

Re: Studying grammar books effectively

Postby pensive » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:49 pm

I think it is probably too early to read Higbie. It seems to me to be full of cases but there seem to be few principles. This may be a feature of Thai, but I think you should start reading books so that, when you read Higbie down the track, you will have a better sense of where it all fits.
pensive

Postby qwerty » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:55 pm

pensive wrote:I think it is probably too early to read Higbie. It seems to me to be full of cases but there seem to be few principles. This may be a feature of Thai, but I think you should start reading books so that, when you read Higbie down the track, you will have a better sense of where it all fits.

Any good book reccomendations on reading, which are not too hard to read? I'm reading some novel right now and when I encounter some new words I just add them to anki.

I know only three grammar books on Thai (in english). Higibe, Smyth and the third is from japanese author which has very linguistic way of approach. Is there some other books?
qwerty

Postby David and Bui » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:42 am

Qwerty,

I think you are referring to http://www.amazon.com/Reference-Grammar ... 0521108675 :

"A Reference Grammar of Thai", Shoichi Iwasaki and Preeya Ingkaphirom
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby pensive » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 am

You could just walk into a bookshop and find a subject you are interested in, then try to read the first page.

I bought a Secret Seven book because it is written for young people and I sort of know what it's about. I also bought some Sherlock Holmes but I am lacking motivation at the moment.

If you are not in Thailand, you could look at learningthai.com. There is a bookshop which advertises there and has an English web page, but the selection is not wide. SE-ED is good, but I think their page is in Thai and I don't know about overseas requests.

I found I&I to be really instructive as it tries to bring out the principles of Thai grammar and it is not so hard to read.
pensive

Postby Pirin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:56 am

Last edited by Pirin on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:13 am

qwerty wrote:So far I've read David Smyths Essential Thai Grammar and now moving to Hgibie And Thinsans Reference Grammar. I was wondering how other people study grammar books? I've read through the David Smyths Essential Thai Grammar dozens of times, thought still need to read it many more times before mastering it all. As it's not that long book it doesn't take take that much time. But Hgibies and Thinsans has about four times more text, so it might take several months before you've read it through. Rushing isn't good method anyway for learning. So how do you read it? Do you make example sentences with each new topic you're learning? Any hints?

If you are a grammarian grammar books in English are good, with their grammar terms: 'aspect markers, accusative, nominative, etc. but I see that as analogous to learning the sounds using a phonetic transliteration system; if you don't know the system already, it is a lot of extra work. Perhaps this is the reason that you need to read David Smyth so often. Why not embark on a Thai grammar book? Comprehension is enhanced if you are interested in and know the subject.
Tgeezer

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites