thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

please help: thai-thai dictionary for mac osx

Suggestions and references for self-study, including bookstores and libraries

Moderator: acloudmovingby

please help: thai-thai dictionary for mac osx

Postby dkonstrkt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am

Hello Thai Language Gurus,
Does anyone know a Thai-Thai Dictionary program/ebook/cd/etc that can be used on a Mac OSX???
I am currently a student in the Intensive Thai program in Chula and one of the things the professors keep telling us not to do is to use a Thai-(Insert Other Language Here) Dictionary. Although I still use this website, I have found that the Royal Institute's website (http://rirs3.royin.go.th/dictionary.asp) useful when wanting a strictly Thai-Thai dictionary.
However, if I don't have access to the internet, I have no way to access a Thai-Thai dictionary (other than using a book, which although useful at home, is not convenient in most situations). The Thai dictionary for Mac OSX is a good Thai-English dictionary with examples in Thai, but it doesn't give me a definition in Thai, which is what I am really looking for.
I've been to several bookstores in Bangkok and have searched the internet in both Thai and English, but have still not found anything (for Mac). Most software for Mac's seems to be geared towards the handheld devices and not laptops/desktops. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Kind Regards,
Marc

***UPDATE***
I finally found a way to use a Thai-Thai dictionary offline on a Mac.
The two options I found were:

1. Use the free program Okawix to download wiktionary (or wikipedia if you like) in Thai. You can browse the site without an internet connection from within this program.

2. Use the free program SiteSucker to download the entire พจนานุกรม ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน พ.. ๒๕๔๒ website and then use it with your normal browser without the internet.

Good luck to anyone else who actually wants to do this.
Last edited by dkonstrkt on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dkonstrkt

Re: please help: thai-thai dictionary for mac osx

Postby dkonstrkt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

I just recently tried พจนานุกรม ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน พ.. ๒๕๔๒ with winebottler (a program that lets mac osx run windows software), but it didn't work.
dkonstrkt

Postby theoldman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:17 am

Hi dkonstrkt

Don’t know much about mac. But it’s worth a try to have windows on mac.
The link below is how to do that (just in case.) ;-)

http://www.istudio.in.th/support_detail.php?id=133

It’s worth a try because you can download program “พจนานุกรม ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน พ.. ๒๕๒๕” (small one, just 4.95 MB) to use offline.
(click คลิกที่นี่ครับ)
http://english-for-thais-2.blogspot.com/2009/09/1195.html

Or even free “โปรแกรมพจนานุกรมฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน ๒๕๔๒” (12 MB) from the link below, again, to use offline:
http://english-for-thais-2.blogspot.com/2010/01/1302.html

Hail! It’s free! But you have to hurry as it might be gone soon because of the copyright issue. ;-)
I’ve tried both of them and they work (just click allow blocked content for the latter.)

Another พจนานกรุมไทย as online ebook is below (I haven’t tried it yet):
http://www.2ebook.com/ru/?__EVENTTARGET=bDE6Ym9va2RldGFpbA%3D%3D&__EVENTARGUMENT=YmlkOjAwMDAxNzQ1

Cheers!
theoldman

Postby theoldman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:29 am

Okay. In case windows on mac didn’t work for you, below is the ebook of Thai-English Student's Dictionary (by Mary R. Haas.) Hope you can use it as a makeshift while stay offline.
Again, free download. ;-)

http://english-for-thais-2.blogspot.com/2011/06/1859-thai-english-students-dictionary.html
(Click the second link below “คลิกดาวน์โหลดลิงค์ใดลิงค์หนึ่งข้างล่างนี้” or try the link below directly.)
http://www.upload-thai.com/download.php?id=7506cf7bf8ae5df1d903e097371007b8

It’s in the middle on the linked page (between the cartoon “ในไทย” and “Yulgang.” Wait for 30 seconds and it will appear an icon “Download” to be clicked.

P.S. I already bought this book long time ago before I found this link. :cry:
theoldman

Postby theoldman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:33 am

Oh! the file is "Thai-EnglishStudentDict.zip" (67.93 MB)
It may take time to download. And it works! :D
theoldman

Postby pensive » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks for the links, montyb. :D

I see we have RID 2525, RID 2542 and Mary Haas (Nan's favourite, I think). The last is especially good because it is a PDF - no installation required. I guess it is a photocopy of the book, but I can't open it yet because I need a newer Zip program.

Ta very muchly. :D
pensive

Postby David and Bui » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Has the Mary Haas dictionary been updated from the 1960's? If not, you will find no current usage or new words entering the language over the past 50 years. Even the RID is more contemporary than that.

BTW, I believe that Khun Nan favors Dr. Wit's dictionary.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby pensive » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm

My bad!
pensive

Postby theoldman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi David

Yes, it’s 1964 version. But as far as I know it’s only one of the two Thai-English Dictionaries compiled by English natives (another one by George Bradley McFarland.)
I believe this is the right way, if not the only way, to do it (sure, I mean only the book, not the online useful resources like here.) Because an English native who wants to learn Thai needs Thai Learner’s Dictionary (like English learner's dictionary for those who wants to learn English.)
I still love to read A. S. Hornby’s original dictionary, The Idiomatic and Syntactic English Dictionary because it’s easy to understand. And that’s why English learner's dictionaries are popular because the way it explains the definitions meet the needs of people who are learning that very foreign language.
So, old Learner’s Dictionary never die. :lol:

P.S. Hope you’re fine.

Hi Pensive
Have you ever tried 7-Zip?
http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html
theoldman

Postby pensive » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:05 am

Good tip, thanks, I thought it was just for .7z files. Anyway, not a problem with WinZip because 7zip also reports the file is corrupt. I thought I would download it from mediafire but the file has been deleted. I cannot connect to upload-thai so I might try again another time.
pensive

Next

Return to Self-Study: Books, CDs, Software, Web Sites