thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

US Citizens: Thailand Visa now required??

Inquiries and recommendations within Thailand

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Postby Glenn Slayden » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:07 pm

An agent at Continental airlines told a friend of mine that, as of January 31, 2004, all US citizens will need a visa to enter Thailand. They went on to say that it is available at the airport prior to immigration; bring a passport photo.

Is this true? I couldn't find any confirmation on the Thai embassy web site in Washington DC.

Glenn
Glenn Slayden
Site Admin

Postby AgentJ » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:59 pm

Aye yigh yigh! (I couldn't remember how to spell "Oy vey!" and I'm not too sure about my opening phrase either) :)
AgentJ

Postby ปากหวาน » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:56 pm

Thai Embassy in New York tells me that no Visa is required for U.S. Citizens travelling to Thailand if duration is 30 days or less. However, a "confirmed" round-trip or on-ward ticket and valid U.S. passport are neccessary. Passport must not expire within six months of travel time.
U.S. Department of State does not contradict this...As of Mon. Feb. 02 2004
http://www.travel.state.gov/thailand.html
***** Mindfulness *****
ฌานสมาบัติ
ปากหวาน

Postby who » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:34 pm

This thread seems dated but it touches upon the timeless debate about what constitutes a visa.

When citizens of the US and many other countries arrive at Don Muang airport in Thailand without a visa, thier passports are stamped with a rectangular stamp that says "imigration Bangkok Thailand" and has blank lines labeled: visa class; Admitted; Until; Signed. The visa class line is filled in by hand with some writing that must mean Tourist. The Admitted line is stamped with the current date. The Until line is stamped with a date that is 29 days later than the Admitted date. The Signed line is initialled by the issueing immigration officer.

What seems to confuse everyone is that there is an office upstairs at the end of and before the immigration area. It has a sign over its several windows that reads "Visa on Arrival". In front of and facing these windows are 20 or 30 chairs that face the office windows and are obvioulsy for waiting ones turn at a window. This operation is for citizens of countries that don't qualify for the automatic 30 day visas referred to above. The chairs are generally sparsley populated by Arab and Indian looking people, non of them appearing very happy.
who

Return to Residents' Tips: Dining Out, Entertainment, Events