thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Tiger Temple

Inquiries and recommendations within Thailand

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Tiger Temple

Postby John » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:55 pm

TL.C Friends,

I will be in the Bangkok area during New Years week and want to see the Tiger Temple near Kanchanburi. There are 7 people in my group and I would like a recommendation on travel arrangements. Would it be best to hire a van? I have been led to believe that the train may is too slow and time restrictive. What about bus service to and from BKK?

Also what about the traffic situation this year on New Years day? The group I am travelling with only has Dec 31 and Jan 1 as an option. Which day would be the best as far as traffic is concerned.

John
John (จอห์น)
John

Tiger Temple

Postby Nan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 pm

John,

I would recommend you to hire a van for 7 people in your group. It's more convenient and you can drop by other interesting places around that area. The cost for hiring a van is around 1,500-2,000 baht per day+ gas cost + toll fee if it needed. The driver will go pick you up anywhere you want.

It takes around 2-3 hours to drive there from Bangkok. Or 5 hours by train. You can see other details on this website, but it's in Thai langauge.

If you decide to hire a van, I think you should make a reservation right away because they mostly are not available at that time.

About the traffic situation, it will be bad in the night of 30 Dec and the morning of 31 Dec. So, I think the 1st of Jan. would be a better day for your trip.
Nan

Tiger Temple

Postby mangkorn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:06 am

Khun Nan's recommendation is best for that group, but I'd like to take the opportunity to make a plug for the old train, from the old station near the river on the Thonburi side - for anyone else who has the flexibility.

It takes only 3 hours to Kanchanaburi, and is a lovely ride through beautiful Thai countryside. It's quite inexpensive, even at the inflated price for foreigners, of 100 baht. It is a classic throwback to the good old days, wooden coaches with large open windows, and vendors hop on along the route to peddle food and drink. It's essentially a commuter train, used also by rural kids on their way to and from school. And it gives one a feel for quieter, quainter times. Sort of like riding dreamily through a Garcia Marquez novel...

I always take it (as a taxpayer, I get the astonishingly low Thai rate of a mere 25 baht), and to Thai friends who complain that trains are too slow, I hasten to point out that the wasted time it takes one to get all the way out to the Southern Bus Terminal in heavy city traffic, and wait for the bus to depart, pretty much negates the faster road speed of bus travel. The old station is near Sririraj Hospital, which is easy to reach by river taxi.

Anyway, if one has any love for old trains, or could do with the singular experience, you can't do much better than that gem.

In Kanchanaburi town, the depot is walking distance to the river and most guesthouses, as opposed to the tuk-tuk one is forced take from the bus station further afield.

Cheers.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Tiger Temple

Postby John » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 am

Mangkorn,

What is the train schedule? I am under the impression that the train would not allow us to get to Kanchanaburi and back and still have time to see the bridge and the temple.

John
John (จอห์น)
John

Tiger Temple

Postby mangkorn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 am

John: Khun Nan's recommendation is best for you, because your time is so limited. I just put in the plug for the old train as general information. It leaves Thonburi around 13:50, which would not give you enough time to get to the temple the same day. Cheers.

EDIT: Actually, there's also an early train, leaving Thonburi at 07:45. I didn't think of it because, frankly, I never considered taking it. :D
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Tiger Temple

Postby John » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:20 am

Mangkorn,

How about the return trip - what is the schedule?

I missed the early train 35 years ago (BKK traffic and no bridges) didn't have an opportunity to go another day.

John
John (จอห์น)
John

Tiger Temple

Postby mangkorn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:17 pm

The return from Kanchanaburi leaves at 14:44. But if you can't make that, there are also buses to Bangkok until at least 18:00. One nice advantage to taking the bus back is that it will let you off near Pinklao Bridge, before swinging back all the way out to the Southern Bus Terminal, which is halfway to Nakhorn Pathom.

I usually take the train there, and return by bus. But I also don't do it all in a single day. (When I go, I like to ride a motorbike around that beautiful province, at least for a day or two.)

If you are trying to do this whole trip in one day, it might be better to rent a van/driver in Bangkok - because you could waste some time to rent transportation in Kanchanaburi, and then you'd also need to get a couple of taxis once back in Thonburi, to find your way back to this side of the river and your hotel. With seven people, the van would be cheap.

Unless, of course, you really do want to take that lovely train. No doubt it has the same coaches that you missed 35 years ago, which I guess was the whole point of my earlier post. These days, people can be in such a hurry to get somewhere that we can forget that the trip, is a very important part of the trip. :)

Oh, for what it's worth (perhaps nothing at all), I'm pleased to note that I have just won over a new Thai convert to the old train. My friend who has lived in Kanchanaburi province her whole life, recently moved to Baan Phong in Ratchaburi province, where she dropped me off at the station awhile back, when I was visiting. She was absolutely astonished that the fare to Bangkok was just 18 baht. Said she had never even considered the train before, even though she came to Bangkok often over the years, and is of meager financial resources. Today, she told me that she got a new job in Ratchaburi town, and is now taking the train there and back, every day - costing 24 baht for the roundtrip.
แล้วแต่สถานการณ์
mangkorn

Return to Residents' Tips: Dining Out, Entertainment, Events