thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

"เข้ารกเข้าพง"

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

"เข้ารกเข้าพง"

Postby David and Bui » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07 pm

I came across the phrase in a news article this week:

"นับวัน การศึกษาไทย ยิ่งเข้ารกเข้าพงมากขึ้น พ่อ-แม่ที่พอมีกำลังทรัพย์ และยังคงยึดติดในความสำเร็จ ยังคงนิยมพาลูกเข้ามาเรียนในโรงเรียนเอกชน และโรงเรียนนานาชาติกันมากมาย"

The phrase "เข้ารกเข้าพง" is not found in any of the English language dictionaries I looked in, but the RID does have a definition:

"เข้ารกเข้าพง (สํา) . พูดหรือทําไม่ถูกต้องกับเรื่อง เพราะขาดความชํานาญ
ในเรื่องนั้น."

Thoughts?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: "เข้ารกเข้าพง"

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:52 am

David and Bui wrote:I came across the phrase in a news article this week:

"นับวัน การศึกษาไทย ยิ่งเข้ารกเข้าพงมากขึ้น พ่อ-แม่ที่พอมีกำลังทรัพย์ และยังคงยึดติดในความสำเร็จ ยังคงนิยมพาลูกเข้ามาเรียนในโรงเรียนเอกชน และโรงเรียนนานาชาติกันมากมาย"

The phrase "เข้ารกเข้าพง" is not found in any of the English language dictionaries I looked in, but the RID does have a definition:

ในเรื่องนั้น."

Thoughts?

Literally, because of 'grass' this may explain 'kicked into the long grass' because the exponents of the thing(in this case educators) don't have the ability to handle it.
Whatever the result of it causes parents who can to send their kids to private schools and various other countries.
Edit: sorry I don't mean educators do I ? Someone who lacks the skills for providing education rather than education itself. Sounds like a general complaint about the system of education.
It seems that I am letting the English expression to dominate my thoughts and it may not be related.
Tgeezer

Postby Rick Bradford » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 am

It's a pity it's not exactly the same as the English expression "to get lost in the weeds", which means to get caught up in trivial details to the detriment of the bigger picture.

Still, that's certainly a characteristic of people who don't fully grasp an issue...
Rick Bradford

Postby David and Bui » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:58 am

Tgeezer and Rick,

I agree with both of you. I think that this Thai phrase is an example of parallel development in language whereby the same concrete image is used in a metaphoric sense. In English, as you both point out, we say "lost in the tall grass" (to push something aside in the hope that it will be lost); similar metaphors are "lost in the weeds" (drowning in the detail) and "a lost ball in the high weeds" (someone who does not know what they are doing, where they are or how to do something).

The RID definition: "พูดหรือทําไม่ถูกต้องกับเรื่อง เพราะขาดความชํานาญในเรื่องนั้น" might be rendered "to say or do something wrong due to the lack of a specific expertise or knowledge".

Thus,

"นับวัน การศึกษาไทย ยิ่งเข้ารกเข้าพงมากขึ้น พ่อ-แม่ที่พอมีกำลังทรัพย์ และยังคงยึดติดในความสำเร็จ ยังคงนิยมพาลูกเข้ามาเรียนในโรงเรียนเอกชน และโรงเรียนนานาชาติกันมากมาย" might be,

"Everyday as the Thai education system continues to lose its bearings, parents who are sufficiently wealthy and who are concerned with success, are more and more prone to send their children to private and international schools."

Any corrections and thoughts? Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby zenxyuan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:50 am

Hi David, i sent you a PM, need your help.
zenxyuan

Postby insayt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 pm

In swedish we have (from the Bible) "filtering mosquitoes and swallowing elephants, กรองยุงและกลืนช้าง :) ", Is "to get lost in the weeds/high grass" the same? I think they use camels in the bible.

In swedish it's like this; basically means that you care about the details and get hook up on little things, but let the big problems go away by ignoring it, as Bradford wrote.

Peter
insayt

Postby DonSena » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 pm

David and Bui wrote:I came across the phrase in a news article this week:

ในเรื่องนั้น."

Thoughts?

Generically, the expression as defined seems to mean (in terms of English idiom) :
'not to know what one is talking about or what he is doing.'

If so, then การศึกษาไทย ยิ่งเข้ารกเข้าพงมากขึ้น could mean:
'The more the Thai educational system [continues] to be mismanaged (ทําไม่ถูกต้องกับเรื่อง [การศึกษา]), ...'
DonSena

Return to Advanced Translation