thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Rain

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Rain

Postby David and Bui » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm

I see a sentence in a story: "ฝนตกลงมาเป็นฝอยละเอียด" and I wonder what kind of rain this describes. Might it be a drizzle?

And, how might this differ from "ฝนตกปรอยๆ" ?

Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Rain

Postby Rick Bradford » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:38 am

Or even ฝนละออง and ฝนหยิม.......
Rick Bradford

Postby tod-daniels » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:22 am

There appears to be a great number of ways to describe sprinkling, drizzling, misting, light, (insert your descriptive word here ;) ) for those types of rain in thai.
ฝนตกปรอย ๆ
ฝนตกโปรยลงมา
ฝนตกพรำ ๆ
ฝนตกหยิม ๆ
ฝนตกปรอยปราย
ฝนตกประปราย

The thai wiki page for ฝนละออง says;
ฝนละออง หรือ ฝนหยิม
[1] คือหยาดน้ำฟ้าที่เป็นเม็ดมีขนาดเล็กละเอียดเป็นละออง หรือเป็นฝอยบาง ๆ มีเส้นผ่าศูนย์กลางเล็กกว่า 0.5 มิลลิเมตร (0.02 นิ้ว)
[2] ตกค่อนข้างสม่ำเสมอ เนื่องจากเป็นเม็ดเล็กละเอียดและอยู่ใกล้ชิดกันมาก สามารถลอยปลิวไปมาตามกระแสลมได้ มักตกจากเมฆสเตรตัสและเมฆสเตรโตคิวมูลัสระดับต่ำ จึงทำให้ทัศนวิสัยไม่ดี แตกต่างจากหมอกตรงที่ฝนละอองนี้จะตกจากท้องฟ้าลงสู่ดิน
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby David and Bui » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:47 am

Thank you, Tod.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:31 am

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby tod-daniels » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Not to beat a dead horse or anything :o , BUT on the topic of rain ;) ..

I was reading a new dictionary I'd bought. It's the So Sethaputra (สอ เสถบุตร) two volume set. I bought it primarily because it has phonetic thai for the pronunciation of tricky words. Just in case you don't know what I mean; for the word มหาวิทยาลัย it shows มะ-หา-วิด-ทะ-ยา-ลัย.. <- not that that is a tricky word (it is an example of the pronunciation guide :lol: )

Anyway I saw an entry under the term ประชด which is normally;
to be sarcastic or to use a sarcastic or disrespectful comparison, to spite.. Plus it's often used in the compound ประชดประชัน

The entry for ประชด had this example;

หลังจากดินฟ้าอากาศแห้งแล้งไปนาน ฝนก็ตกประชดลงมาขนานใหญ่
After the long drought, it rained and rained with a vengeance. <-that's the english example in the dictionary NOT my translation :)

It would appear that the word ประชด in this instance is vengeance, as I doubt it could rain sarcastically :? :shock: ;) ...

Anyway that's all I got...
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby David and Bui » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Tod,

I bought the "New Model Thai-English Dictionary", compiled by "So Sethaputra", the two volume work, several decades ago. The publication date of this book is 1984. I have seen the English-Thai version under the name of his daughter, but I have not seen a new version of the original Thai-English.

My favorite entry is the one for อ้อมค้อม: "พวกข้าราชการชอบพูดอ้อมค้อม" ("Bureaucrats are fond of circumlocution.") When's the last time anyone has seen the word "circumlocution" used?

Is the one you bought an update?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby tod-daniels » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:23 am

The only date I can find is 2552, but there're two prefaces, one to the first edition written by So Sethaputra and one to the second edition written by Thai Watana Panich Co., Ltd.

When I first saw them for sale at Chula bookstore they were small and quite thick (about A5 size). I didn't buy them at that time. A few months ago I decided to get them and when they showed up at my apartment the version of the books quite large (A4 sized) and quite thin. They are most definitely not a "carry around in your bag" sort of dictionary like the Domnern Sathienpong one I lug everywhere.

Doesn't the dictionary use some interesting example sentences?

One which I found funny, was ควัก - to scoop, gouge, dig out..
ฉัจะควักเอาลูกตาแกออกมาเล่นเป็นลูกหิน
I shall gouge your eyes and play marbles with them. :shock:

So far I haven't been able to work that sentence into a conversation ;) , but I'm trying..

Back closer to the topic of rain. The คลังคำ or treasury/storehouse of words is one valuable book! It has an entire section devoted to different types of rain, clouds etc.

Because rain is such an integral part of thai life, in some regards I think the terms for types of rain to thaiz are like the terms for types of snow to eskimos..
tod-daniels

Postby pi_choen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:07 pm

What about
ฝนตกหนาเม็ด
http://www.youtube.com/user/pikoen1
pi_choen

Postby Pirin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:48 am

Last edited by Pirin on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Next

Return to Advanced Translation