thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

ปีกมดลูก

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

ปีกมดลูก

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Perhaps I should start in this way:

I love Tl..com, my applauses to Glenn, David, and Richard (and others).

By profession I'm ... in phasa Thai?

ผมเป็นหมอ

The language of my mother? Föllsch I would call that (a dialect spoken in the Hassian part of the mountains called Rhön, in summary German).

Today I had to read the report of a surgeon (in German language) and to explain thereafter to a Thai lady what happened actually during the surgery of this surgeon.

Sounds easy? I would claim that nobody on this planet can translate this letter into Thai.

First hurdle of translation, Tl.com does not have the term:

ปีกมดลูก = oviduct, tubes?

Second issue:

รังไข่ ... this could be ovary in the singular?

http://www.thai-language.com/id/201807

If you google for รังไข่ you find ovaries but if you google for ovary (one of them) you find nothing.

I really fell in love with the Thai plural term มดหมอ

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131340#def2

I like it!

But what มดหมอ has to do with มดลูก, the uterus (in singular). No clue to be honest. = I don't understand มด (= formica rufa?)
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who cannot.
Thomas

Re: ปีกมดลูก

Postby David and Bui » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 am

From the RID:

มด ๒
. หมอเวทมนตร์, หมอผี, ถ้าเป็นผู้ชาย เรียกว่า พ่อมด, ถ้าเป็นผู้หญิง เรียกว่า แม่มด; ใช้เป็นคำประกอบกับคำ หมอ เป็น มดหมอ หมายความว่า หมอทั่ว ๆ ไป.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby theoldman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:13 am

Hello Thomas,

When it comes to some technical terms like this, some special dictionaries might be needed. As normally it's translated from English (etc.) into Thai. Even so, sometimes, it's hard to tell which one is the right word if you had nothing to do with such and such field. Whenever I had to translated this kind of technical terms, I need to do a lot more of homework, searching more and more information first.

Below is one of them (online).

คลังศัพท์ไทย - หมวดการแพทย์

http://www.thaiglossary.org/groups/med/browse/published/search/A/prefix

After searching for "ปีกมดลูก", you'll get these results:

[url]http://www.thaiglossary.org/groups/med/browse/published/search/ปีกมดลูก[/url]

Adnexa ปีกมดลูก, มดลูกทั้งสองข้าง
Adnexa Uteri ปีกมดลูก
Adnexa, Uterine ปีกมดลูก
Adnexal Diseases ปีกมดลูก, โรค
Adnexal Infection การติดเชื้อที่ปีกมดลูก
Adnexitis ปีกมดลูกอักเสบ
Fallopian Tubes ท่อมดลูก,ท่อนำไข่,ท่อปีกมดลูก,ท่อรังไข่,หลอดมดลูก,ท่อรังไข่,ปีกมดลูก,ท่อไข่
Salpingectomy, Unilateral หลอดมดลูกอักเสบ, ท่อรังไข่อักเสบ, ปีกมดลูกอักเสบ, มดลูกอักเสบ, การอักเสบภายในท่อนำไข่
Salpingitis การอักเสบของปีกมดลูกส่วนอิสร์มัสเป็นตุ่ม
Salpingitis Isthmica Nodosa การอักเสบเฉียบพลันของท่อรังไข่, ปีกมดลูกอักเสบเฉียบพลัน
Tuboovarian Abscess หนองฝีที่ปีกมดลูก

As for "รังไข่", you might get dozens results:
[url]
http://www.thaiglossary.org/groups/med/ ... ed/search/รังไข่[/url]

As for มดหมอ, as David pointed out, มด doesn't have real meaning. It's just the way of a spoken language. Comparing to ดินฟ้าอากาศ which only means weather/climate, not soil (ดิน), sky (ฟ้า) and weather (อากาศ).

Hope this helps.
P.S. I think Thai language.com Dictionary has something to do with art (language) more than science. So, technical terms don't need to be included here.
theoldman

Postby Tgeezer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:38 am

Don't rely on this dictionary, ovary has a definition of "tube/pipe belonging to the egg nest" or ท่อรังไข่ or tube/pipe bring eggs ท่อนำไข่ . It could probably said in other ways too. Naturally if you need to make it singular or plural to clarify then you need to say so.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:34 pm

@David, thank you for the quotation of RID.

It reminds me a little bit ... I should assess something for a Dutch collegue. When I had checked all the documents I called her. She asked (we were speaking English): So, what do you think? I replied: How to call it or him? Sorry, but I forgot for a second the English term, but in German I would call this a "Quacksalber". She: Yes, I fully agree, that was exactly my thought when I read it first. The term in Dutch is kwakzalver. Thanks a lot for confirming!

I didn't want to say that มดหมอ translates into quacksalver, the German term "Heilpraktiker" may fit.

I only found it funny to see a Thai plural at Thai-language.com:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131340#def2 (see definition 2)

2. มดหมอ mohtH maawR [noun, plural]
definition
doctors; physicians

Anyway, I like the term :-)

@theoldman: Thanks a lot!

I think the list of terms is very helpful. The issue is "Adnexe, die; Adnexen, die" (ger.), "adnexum/adnexa" (lat.) is just doctors' slang. The term summarizes ovary+Fallopian tube/oviduct.

@Tgeezer and theoldman:

"ovary has a definition of "tube/pipe belonging to the egg nest"" No! Let me quote Wiki:

The Fallopian tubes, also known as, uterine tubes, and salpinges (singular salpinx), are two very fine tubes lined with ciliated epithelia, leading from the ovaries of female mammals into the uterus, via the uterotubal junction. In non-mammalian vertebrates, the equivalent structures are called oviducts.

Thus, Fallopian tube (oviduct) = ท่อมดลูก,ท่อนำไข่

... I guess that ปีกมดลูก is "adnexum" (lat.)

Thanks a lot to all!

P.S.: ท่อนำไข่ + "รังไข่ = ปีกมดลูก is already a formula agreed by a Thai lady.
Thomas

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:13 am

Thomas wrote:

@Tgeezer and theoldman:

"ovary has a definition of "tube/pipe belonging to the egg nest"" No! Let me quote Wiki:

Thanks a lot to all!

P.S.: ท่อนำไข่ + "รังไข่ = ปีกมดลูก is already a formula agreed by a Thai lady.

Thank you Thomas, that all makes sense but since 'womb wing' is like 'bird wing' has this instructive (to me) discourse on medical jargon enabled you to write 'ovary'?
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:05 am

David and Bui wrote:From the RID:

มด ๒
. หมอเวทมนตร์, หมอผี, ถ้าเป็นผู้ชาย เรียกว่า พ่อมด, ถ้าเป็นผู้หญิง เรียกว่า แม่มด; ใช้เป็นคำประกอบกับคำ หมอ เป็น มดหมอ หมายความว่า หมอทั่ว ๆ ไป.

Thomas wrote:

I didn't want to say that มดหมอ translates into quacksalver, the German term "Heilpraktiker" may fit.

I only found it funny to see a Thai plural at Thai-language.com:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131340#def2 (see definition 2)

2. มดหมอ mohtH maawR [noun, plural]
definition
doctors; physicians

I'd like to know if the German term "Heilpraktiker" is used in the context in which one refers to doctors or physicians in general. If so, please keep it as the right choice for มดหมอ. If not, it is advisable that you replace it with the choice that one can say without referring to just a particular doctor or physician.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:34 am

Pirin wrote: I'd like to know if the German term "Heilpraktiker" is used in the context in which one refers to doctors or physicians in general. If so, please keep it as the right choice for มดหมอ. If not, it is advisable that you replace it with the choice that one can say without referring to just a particular doctor or physician.

First question: No.
Second, third statement: The term is either the plural of Arzt/Doktor (Ärzte/Doktoren) or the singular term (which does not have a plural form) Ärzteschaft. The ending - schaft occurs in a German term know also outside Germany, die Mannschaft, in essence, the German national football team (male), meaning "all the men". Ger. -shaft and Engl. -ship seem to be related terms.

Eventually I've missunderstood something in the definition here:

หมอ เป็น มดหมอ หมายความว่า หมอทั่ว

How you would translate it into English? ทั่ว?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:43 am

Tgeezer wrote:
"ovary has a definition of "tube/pipe belonging to the egg nest"

... enabled you to write 'ovary'?

Thank you Tgeezer, for the question. The answer is: No!

The ovary is not a tube/pipe, rather a "ball-" like organ, German either "Ovar" or "Eierstock" (literally stock of eggs). The organ wich stocks eggs is relatively round, not tube-like.
Thomas

Postby Pirin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:57 am

Thomas wrote:
Pirin wrote: I'd like to know if the German term "Heilpraktiker" is used in the context in which one refers to doctors or physicians in general. If so, please keep it as the right choice for มดหมอ. If not, it is advisable that you replace it with the choice that one can say without referring to just a particular doctor or physician.

First question: No.
Second, third statement: The term is either the plural of Arzt/Doktor (Ärzte/Doktoren) or the singular term (which does not have a plural form) Ärzteschaft. The ending - schaft occurs in a German term know also outside Germany, die Mannschaft, in essence, the German national football team (male), meaning "all the men". Ger. -shaft and Engl. -ship seem to be related terms.

Eventually I've missunderstood something in the definition here:

หมอ เป็น มดหมอ หมายความว่า หมอทั่ว

How you would translate it into English? ทั่ว?

No comment.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Next

Return to Advanced Translation