thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

แบบบ้านๆ

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

แบบบ้านๆ

Postby David and Bui » Sun May 11, 2014 5:40 am

Friends,

I have been unable to find the phrase "แบบบ้านๆ" in any of the dictionaries. I found the word today in a magazine article titled "แก้ปัญหาจราจรแบบบ้านๆ" a story about how Chiang Mai is trying to solve its traffic problems. I have been told that the phrase means "in a simple manner; without a lot of difficulty". The headline would then read, "Solving Traffic Problems with Easy Fixes".

There is a Kapok page with the title, "สาวลาวน่ารักแบบบ้านๆ" which perhaps means, "Lao Girls Who are Lovely in a Natural Way".

Google shows a Facebook page named "English แบบบ้านๆ" -- perhaps "English the Easy Way."

Is this phrase derived from or is equivalent to "แบบชาวบ้าน"?

Thanks.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: แบบบ้านๆ

Postby Pirin » Sun May 11, 2014 10:53 am

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 am

Friends,

The following is an excerpt from Matichon Weekend and my translation. I have had some difficulty in understanding some of the constructions and I would appreciate your comments and corrections. Thanks.

แก้ปัญหาจราจรแบบบ้านๆ
Solving Traffic Problems the Simple Way

ย่อจากมติชนสุดสัปดาห์ฉบับวันที่ 9 – 15 พฤษภาคม 2557, หน้า 25
Excerpted from “Matichon Weekend”, 9-15 May 2014, page 25.

1. ช่วงเวลาปิดกรุงเทพฯ โดยคนกรุงเทพฯ นั้น ก่อให้เกิดความขัดข้องในการดำเนินชีวิตยิ่งนัก
During the period when Bangkok was closed down, when the people of Bangkok caused more disruption [than normal] in the way they conduct their lives . . .

2. ผู้เขียนจึงรวมขบวนอพยพย้ายหนีไปอยู่ต่างจังหวัด ทั้งเมืองใหญ่และเมืองชายแดนที่เขาไม่ปิดเมือง หากทำมาหากินคึกคัก
. . . this writer joined the caravan of people emigrating to the hinterlands, both to large cities and to the border areas which were not shut down, provided that there was a vibrant job market there.

3. ตอนนี้หนีไปอยู่เชียงใหม่
This time, I ran away to Chiang Mai.

4. มีโอกาสมองบ้านมองเมืองนานขึ้น เลยรู้เห็นและเข้าใจหลายสิ่งหลายอย่าง
I had more time to see the area so I saw and learned a lot of new things.

5. โดยเฉพาะระบบการจราจร ที่คนกรุงเทพฯ ที่หนีร้อนพึ่งเย็น (หนาว) บ่นว่ารถติดยิ่งกว่ากรุงเทพฯ
[I] especially [learned about] the traffic which the people from Bangkok, who came to escape the heat there and enjoy the cool weather, complained was worse than that in the Capital.

6. คนเชียงใหม่ไม่มีมารยาทหรือไม่มีปฏิบัติตามกฎจราจร
The people of Chiang Mai are not courteous nor do they act in accord with the traffic laws.

7. นักท่องเที่ยวโดยเฉพาะชาวจีน เช่าจักรยานยนต์วุ่นวายไปทั่วเมือง
Tourists, especially those from China, rent motor-scooters and drive around the city helter-skelter.

8. ในต่างประเทศผู้ที่เกี่ยวข้องกับปัญหาจราจรจะมีแต่วิศวกรจราจรเทศบาลเท่านั้น
Outside of Thailand those responsible for traffic problems are municipal traffic engineers.

9. แต่ที่เชียงใหม่พบว่ามีทั้งวิศวกรเทศบาล ตำรวจภูธรา ข้าราชการกรมทางหลวง รวมไปถึงผู้ว่าราชการกระทรวงมหาดไทย เจ้าหน้าที่การท่องเที่ยวแห่งประเทศไทย และอื่นๆ อีกมากมาย
However, in Chiang Mai we find that there are municipal engineers, local police officers, officials from the Highway Department, all the way to governors [representing] the Ministry of the Interior, officials of the National Tourist Bureau, and many others.

10. ซึ่งเป็นผลดีเพราะมีหลายคนรวมพลังช่วยกันแก้ไข
So, the results are good because the efforts of many people are combined to solve [problems].

11. ปัญหาอุบัติเหตุบนถนนครูบาศรีวิชัยทางขึ้นลงดอยสุเทพมาจากสภาพถนนแคบชันและคดเคี้ยว
The traffic accidents which occur on the Kruba Sriwichai Road going up to Doi Suthep arise due to the fact that this road is narrow, steep, and winding.

12. ในช่วยเวลาที่การจราจรคับคั่งจึงมากันกำหนดเวลาให้รถขึ้นหรือลงทางเดียวในวันเวลาปกติ
During the periods of time when traffic is congested [the authorities] impose specific time periods every day during which traffic can travel only one way – up or down the mountain.

13. ประกฎว่าได้ผลอย่างดี
As it turns out, the results have been very favorable.

14. จะมีเพียงคนต่างถิ่นที่ไม่รู้ความ ไม่รู้เวลา หงุดหงิดบ้างเล็กน้อย
The only people who are somewhat put out [by these rules] are those who come from outside the area and are unaware [of the rules] or who don’t know the times [when the directions change.]

15. ครั้นช่วงเทศกาลวันหยุดยาวจำนวนนักท่องเทียวเพิ่มขึ้น จำนวนรถโดยสารคันใหญ่มากขึ้นจึงกำหนดให้เฉพาะรถขนาดเล็กขึ้นลงได้ตามเวลาเท่านั้น
Whenever there is a long holiday, the number of tourists increases [and] the number of large passenger busses also increases so that [rules] have been set which allow only small transport vehicles to go up and down [the mountain] during certain periods of time.

16. ส่วนผู้โดยสารที่มากับรถขนาดใหญ่ยักษ์ต้องไปเปลี่ยนเป็นรถสองแถวแดงที่ศูนย์ประชุมนานาชาติเฉลิมพระเกียติฯ
As for those tourists who come on the super-large busses, they have to switch [vehicles] to ride up on the smaller, red, two-bench transports, or “red taxis” at the Chalerm Phrakiet International Meeting Center.

17. วิธีนี้นอกจากจราจรคล่องตัว และอุบัติเหติลดลงแล้ว ยังทำให้รถสองแถวมีรายได้เพิ่ม
By using this method, not only is traffic less congested and the number of accidents reduced, but the owners of the red taxis earn more income.

18. แบบว่านักท่องเที่ยวปลอดภัย คนในพื้นที่ได้สตางค์ อำนวยประโยชน์กันทั้งสองฝ่าย
That is, the tourists are safer and the local people earn more money; both sides win.

19. ซึ่งเรื่องนี้ไม่ใช่เรื่องแปลก
And, this is not unusual.

20. ในหลายประเทศก็เลือกใช้วิธีนี้ โดยเฉพาะการกำหนดเขตห้ามรถโดยสารคันใหญ่ยักษ์ผ่านเขตเมืองเก่าที่ถนนคับแคบ หรือพื้นที่จราจรหนาแน่น
Many countries have elected to use this method, especially designating certain historic, inner city areas with narrow streets in which large passenger busses are prohibited from entering or in areas with high traffic volume.

21. บางแห่งถึงกับห้ามรถที่มีเลขทะเบียนนอกพื้นที่ผ่าน
In some areas vehicles with out-of-area license plates are prohibited

22. กำหนดจุดจอดรถไว้ตามสถานที่ต่างๆ แล้วให้เปลี่ยนไปใช้ระบบขนส่งสาธารณะอื่นแทน
Specific parking areas are designated [for the out-of-area vehicles] and [tourists are required to] change and use local public transportation instead.

23. วิธีนี้ส่งผลให้การจราจรบริเวณเมืองเก่าหรือใจกลางเมืองคล่องตัว
These methods result is better traffic flow in older cities or in central urban districts.

24. หลายแห่งกลายเป็นสวรรค์สำหรับคนปั่นจักรยานและคนเดินเท้า
Many places have become a haven for bicyclers and pedestrians.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Pirin » Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Last edited by Pirin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Fri May 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Thank you, Khun Pirin, for your response and that analysis. I don't quite understand the relationships between the clauses, but I will try again:

"When Bangkok was shut down because the people there caused significant difficulty in day to day life, this writer was forced to join the long line of people leaving there for outlying areas. Those areas [we fled to] included both large cities and the border areas which were not shut down and where the economy was still vibrant."

Does this comport with your analysis? Thank you for your effort.

Pirin wrote:[flash=][/flash]
Please forget your first translated piece, but reread this first (complex) sentence and translated it again.
(ช่วงเวลาปิดกรุงเทพฯ โดยคนกรุงเทพฯ นั้น) ก่อให้เกิดความขัดข้องในการดำเนินชีวิตยิ่งนัก ผู้เขียนจึงร่วมขบวนอพยพย้ายหนีไปอยู่ต่างจังหวัด (ทั้งเมืองใหญ่และเมืองชายแดน)(ที่เขาไม่ปิดเมือง หากทำมาหากินคึกคัก)

<=
(ช่วงเวลาปิดกรุงเทพฯ โดยคนกรุงเทพฯ นั้น) = a "when" clause
ก่อให้เกิดความขัดข้องในการดำเนินชีวิตยิ่งนัก = a part of the "when" clause indicating the cause (of an action)
ผู้เขียนจึงร่วมขบวนอพยพย้ายหนีไปอยู่ต่างจังหวัด = the result
(ทั้งเมืองใหญ่และเมืองชายแดน) = a clause modifying ต่างจังหวัด
(ที่เขาไม่ปิดเมือง หากทำมาหากินคึกคัก) = a clause modifying ทั้งเมืองใหญ่และเมืองชายแดน
David in Houston
David and Bui

Return to Advanced Translation