thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Trip to 7-11 and cultural differences

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: Trip to 7-11 and cultural differences

Postby Pirin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:59 am

to tell a friend what to pull out of their bag of tricks for a particular situation
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:04 am

Pirin wrote:to tell a friend what to pull out of their bag of tricks for a particular situation

Thanks Pirin.
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:56 am

Tgeezer wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:I must admit that I don't know why มวยเพื่อน could it just mean 'one friend'? The RID says that มวย is เขมร for เดียว, หนึ่ง; the second chap uses แดก for 'eat' so it is possible. They speak Thai very naturally, I am impressed. I must say though that I find transcripts annoying, why not write English names in English it is far less labourious to read and 'Thailand only' I found particularly meaningless until I watched the clips.

Now that I have read the report I see that Chris สอนมวยว่าผู้หญิงไทย... So สอนมวย appears to be สำนวนไทย with which I am not familiar. I may find out before someone posts.
I think that 'Chris' said what sounded like โกงลวง, the report doesn't quote him but calls it แบบทดสอบ doesn't it?
งอล is spelled งอน a couple of times, you probably wrote งอล (the text checker is a pain isn't it? )
I don't think that there was anything else except to add that there is nothing particularly peculiar in this behavior. It is not in the nature of Thai people to ask for things, if you want to give you give, when you ask 'do you want anything?' you are forcing them to ask. Giving does more for the giver than the receiver or should do!

Culteral saying: ตักบาตรอย่าถามพระ
Tgeezer

Postby David and Bui » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Tgeezer wrote:Cultural saying: ตักบาตรอย่าถามพระ

Brilliant, Tgeezer! I have been trying to think of how this might be expressed in English in a pithy manner, and have not yet been able to think of one. I did think briefly about, "Don't ask a new rider to look the gift horse in the mouth before you hand over the reins" but it lacks a certain pithiness.

Any thoughts?
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby strehe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:54 pm

David and Bui wrote:"ฝรั่งสอนเพื่อน สาวไทยบอก'ไม่...แปลว่า ใช่'"

"A Foreigner Gives a Lesson to his Mates: When a Thai Woman Says 'No', She means 'Yes' "

Thanks David, but the title of the video was "ฝรั่งสอนมวยเพื่อน" not "ฝรั่งสอนเพื่อน สาวไทยบอก'ไม่...แปลว่า ใช่' ", which was the title of the newspaper article :D . Pirin already translated it. I had been thinking of something like 'A farang shows his friend the ropes' or something in that vein.
strehe

Postby tod-daniels » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:24 am

Is it just me, or does that first guy speak thai like a whiny gurl? :lol:

I mean it's so artificial almost พูดดัดจริต! It seems to be spoken in quite a high almost 'mickey mouse' voice too, like he learned that from a gurl but when she said mimic her tones he mimicked her pitch. ;) Perhaps that's just his way of relating the story, but to me it sure sound quite gay <- and no that's not the jovial, happy meaning.. :o

The second guys thai is pretty darned good. His lame "ไทยแลนด์ โอนลี" excuse says more about foreigners here eating too many helpings from the "crock 'o sh**" thaiz try to ram down our throats about what is and what is not 'thai culture' than anything else. Totally lame... :P

Just an FYI, If a thai guy was goin' to 7/11 for something he wouldn't even waste his breath asking his thai significant other if she wanted anything. He'd go get on his motocy, drive to 7/1,1 get what he wanted and come back. If his thai g/f wanted something she'd go get it herself... Of that I'm almost 100% sure... ;)

อะเมซิ่ง ไทยแลนด์ indeed. :lol:
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Previous

Return to Advanced Translation