thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

"ผู้ที่อยู่เคียงข้างเรา"

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

"ผู้ที่อยู่เคียงข้างเรา"

Postby David and Bui » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 am

Friends,

I need some help with the following paragraph from a homily in The Nation magazine this week (page 33):

ในตอนต้นของการภาวนา นอกจากครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ เพราะตัวเราคือผู้ปฏิบัติ เราต้องเอาตัวเองลงสนามต่อสู้เพียงลำพัง เพราะการต่อสู้กับกิเลสนั้น ตัวช่วยใดๆ ก็ไม่อาจช่วยเราได้ หากเราไม่พยายามฝึกฝนให้ตนเป็นที่พึ่งแห่งต้นให้ได้ เพราะถึงสุดท้าย ครูไม่ได้อยู่กับเราจนวันตาย แต่ผู้ที่อยู่กับเราจนวันตายคือ ตัวเราเอง. . . ขณะเดียวกันในช่วงการล้มลุกคลุกคลานของการภาวนา เราจะขาดครูบาอาจารย์ไม่ได้เลยอีกเช่นกัน

Someone Next to Us

When we are in our early stages of [spiritual development/personal growth], in addition to our teachers/mentors, there is [an element] of special importance: We cannot overlook ourselves. Because we are the ones who take the action, we alone must enter the arena to compete. Because we must struggle with our desires and cravings, no one else can help us, if we do not train ourselves to rely solely on ourselves,

Because in the final analysis our mentor will not be with us on the day we die. But the person who will be will us at our death is we ourselves. At the same time while we struggle through our spiritual development, we cannot be without our spiritual mentor.

I don't feel comfortable that I understand which dependent clauses are associated with the independent clauses or that I have parsed out the sentences correctly. In addition, I am not sure how to interpret "การภาวนา" in this context, that is, is it meant as a spiritual term or a self-development term.

Thanks for your help.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: "ผู้ที่อยู่เคียงข้างเรา"

Postby Toffeeman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:16 am

David and Bui wrote: เพราะถึงสุดท้าย ครูไม่ได้อยู่กับเราจนวันตาย แต่ผู้ที่อยู่กับเราจนวันตายคือ ตัวเราเอง. . . ขณะเดียวกันในช่วงการล้มลุกคลุกคลานของการภาวนา เราจะขาดครูบาอาจารย์ไม่ได้เลยอีกเช่นกัน

Because in the final analysis our mentor will not be with us on the day we die. But the person who will be will us at our death is we ourselves. At the same time while we struggle through our spiritual development, we cannot be without our spiritual mentor.

I don't feel comfortable that I understand which dependent clauses are associated with the independent clauses or that I have parsed out the sentences correctly. In addition, I am not sure how to interpret "การภาวนา" in this context, that is, is it meant as a spiritual term or a self-development term.

Thanks for your help.

As usual David your translation looks very good to me. I am wondering about the final section and particularly the 2 uses of จน.
I would translate that as:
"Because in the final analysis our mentor will not stay with us until we die/the end of our life. But the person who will stay with to the end of our life is we ourselves. At the same time while we struggle through our spiritual development, we cannot be without our spiritual mentor.

The thought behind จน being 'until' rather than a particular point in time.
Toffeeman

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am

David and Bui wrote:Friends,

I need some help with the following paragraph from a homily in The Nation magazine this week (page 33):

ในตอนต้นของการภาวนา นอกจากครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ เพราะตัวเราคือผู้ปฏิบัติ เราต้องเอาตัวเองลงสนามต่อสู้เพียงลำพัง เพราะการต่อสู้กับกิเลสนั้น ตัวช่วยใดๆ ก็ไม่อาจช่วยเราได้ หากเราไม่พยายามฝึกฝนให้ตนเป็นที่พึ่งแห่งต้นให้ได้ เพราะถึงสุดท้าย ครูไม่ได้อยู่กับเราจนวันตาย แต่ผู้ที่อยู่กับเราจนวันตายคือ ตัวเราเอง. . . ขณะเดียวกันในช่วงการล้มลุกคลุกคลานของการภาวนา เราจะขาดครูบาอาจารย์ไม่ได้เลยอีกเช่นกัน
Thanks for your help.

Having read this many times and looked up a few words in my 2525 edition of the RID (ภาวนา, ล้มลุกคลุกคลาน), I get more or less the same word for word translation apart from a few minor differences. I would interpret the Thai like this:
Our constant companion.
Apart from the special influence our teachers have had in the early stages of our development we cannot overlook our own importance in the process. We have to fight our battles alone because only we know what they are, they are our demons. Nobody can help us if we don't try to develop self reliance because it's unlikely our mentors will be available our whole life. At the same time when we are still taking those first faltering steps we cannot do without them.

I don't think that I have missed out anything, as you can see I agree with Toffeeman, จนตาย has become throughout life.
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:26 am

Someone Next to Us

When we are in our early stages of [spiritual development/personal growth], in addition to our teachers/mentors, there is [an element] of special importance: We cannot overlook ourselves. Because we are the ones who take the action, we alone must enter the arena to compete. Because we must struggle with our desires and cravings, no one else can help us, if we do not train ourselves to rely solely on ourselves,

Thanks for your help.

"ในตอนต้นของการภาวนา นอกจากครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ เพราะตัวเราคือผู้ปฏิบัติ..."
=>
In the initial stages of meditation, apart from ..., we cannot overlook ...

RID:
ภาวนา [พาวะ] . การทำให้มีขึ้นให้เป็นขึ้นทางจิตใจ, . สำรวมใจให้แน่วแน่เป็นสมาธิ เช่น สวดมน์ภาวนา, สำรวมใจตั้งความปรารถนา เช่น นั่งภาวนาขอให้พระช่วย. (.)
Last edited by Pirin on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby David and Bui » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:45 am

Thank you, Khun Pirin.
David in Houston
David and Bui

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:04 am

Pirin wrote:

Someone Next to Us

Thanks for your help.

"ในตอนต้นของการภาวนา นอกจากครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ เพราะตัวเราคือผู้ปฏิบัติ..."
=>
In the initial stages of meditation, apart from ..., we cannot overlook ...

RID:
ภาวนา [พาวะ] . การทำให้มีขึ้นให้เป็นขึ้นทางจิตใจ, . สำรวมใจให้แน่วแน่เป็นสมาธิ เช่น สวดมน์ภาวนา, สำรวมใจตั้งความปรารถนา เช่น นั่งภาวนาขอให้พระช่วย. (.)

Thanks Pirin.
You haven't said it, but can we deduce that you think that, because there is no conjunction between จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว and เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ that it is the teachers who are important not that " we cannot overlook ... " ?
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:03 am

Tgeezer wrote:....

Thanks Pirin.
You haven't said it, but can we deduce that you think that, because there is no conjunction between จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว and เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ that it is the teachers who are important not that " we cannot overlook ... " ?

In the initial stages of meditation, apart from the fact that our teachers are notably important, we cannot overlook our own self because we are the one who is doing the practice (of meditation).
<=
นอกจาก ..... แล้ว
<=
นอกจาก(ครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษ)แล้ว
<=
"ในตอนต้นของการภาวนา นอกจากครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ เพราะตัวเราคือผู้ปฏิบัติ"
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Pirin wrote:

Thanks Pirin.

In the initial stages of meditation, apart from the fact that our teachers are notably important, we cannot overlook our own self because we are the one who is doing the practice (of meditation).
<=
นอกจาก ..... แล้ว
<=
<=
"ในตอนต้นของการภาวนา นอกจากครูบาอาจารย์ จะมีความสำคัญเป็นพิเศษแล้ว เราจะมองข้ามตัวเราเองไม่ได้ เพราะตัวเราคือผู้ปฏิบัติ"

Thank you.
So การภาวนา is the verbal noun 'meditation'. Do you see ภาวนา as the verb to meditate?
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:03 am

Tgeezer wrote:
Pirin wrote:

Thanks Pirin.

<=
นอกจาก ..... แล้ว
<=
<=

Thank you.
So การภาวนา is the verbal noun 'meditation'. Do you see ภาวนา as the verb to meditate?

Once again find myself trying to answer my own questions.
From the RID I get ท่องบ่นภาวนา which shows that ภาวนา is not a verb and also that it is related to the other 'dropped topic': การครองใจคน.
ภาวนา น. การทำให้มีขึ้นให้เป็นขึ้นทางจิตใจ making something occur mentally: Mental development/self mprovement.
ครองใจ govern the heart. การครองใจคน governing people's hearts.

Edit: Just heard a Moslem on the radio saying that 'jihad' which means a very bad thing to Western ears, had the meaning of self improvement / doing your duty. Language is a so weird.
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:19 pm

Tgeezer wrote:
Pirin wrote:

Thanks Pirin.

<=
นอกจาก ..... แล้ว
<=
<=

Thank you.

ภาวนา meaning สำรวมใจให้แน่วแน่เป็นสมาธิ (เช่น สวดมนต์ภาวนา) does not appear in a sentence in Thai the same way as the word "to meditate" appears in a sentence in English. Once it is used to mean "the practice of meditation" in can be either a noun or a verb, depending on context.

ภาวนา
. (noun)
การทำให้มีขึ้น ให้เป็นขึ้นทางจิตใจ
=> the practice of meditation
. (verb)
1. สำรวมใจให้แน่วแน่เป็นสมาธิ เช่น สวดมนต์ภาวนา
=> to perorm the practice of meditation
Examples:
การบำเพ็ญจิตภาวนาก็เพื่อ ใจจะมีที่อาศัย ใจจะมีที่ยึด ใจจะมีเรือนของใจเป็นที่อาศัย ใจย่อมมีความร่มเย็น เพราะมีที่พึ่งที่ยึดที่เกาะ ฉะนั้นการสร้างที่พึ่งสำหรับใจจึงเป็นสิ่งจำเป็นมาก
(การบำเพ็ญจิตภาวนา and การภาวนา mean the same thing.)
การเดินจงกรม ให้ยืนตัวตรง เอามือขวาจับข้อมือซ้าย ส้นเท้าทั้ง ๒ ชิดเสมอกัน ส่วนปลายเท้าแยกออกจากกันพอประมาณยืนถนัด (ประมาณ ๒-๓ นิ้ว) ศีรษะตั้งตรงไม่ควรเอียงซ้าย หรือเอียงขวา ให้ทอดสายตาไปประมาณ ๔ ศอกคืบ ศีรษะของผู้ปฏิบัติก็จะไม่ก้มและเงยจนเกินไป พอดีแก่การเดินจงกรม(นาน)เมื่อท่ายืนเรียบร้อยแล้ว ให้หลับตา เอาสติมาจับอยู่ที่ร่างกาย อย่าให้สติออกไปจากร่างกาย ให้ภาวนาว่ายืนหนอ ๆ ๆ ...”

2. สำรวมใจตั้งความปรารถนา เช่น นั่งภาวนาขอให้พระช่วย
=> to pray (that) ...
Example:
ทุกครั้งที่ลูกค้ามาซื้อสลากฯ ที่ร้าน จะพูดภาวนาขอให้ถูกรางวัลที่ 1
Pirin

Next

Return to Advanced Translation