thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

อย่างไรเล่า

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

อย่างไรเล่า

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 am

I am trying to work out what this means because since it comes from the book '50 นิทาน อ่านเพลิน I think are 'fables'- fictional stories in prose or verse handed down involving animals, mythical creatures.
Since they are in prose, consider this line from a scene where some sheep have left the flock on the hillside and are grazing closer to a stream where a wolf waits and calls to them: เจ้าแกะน้อยเย๋อ ...... เดินลงมาตรงข้างล่างนี้สิเจ้าจะได้มีอาหารกินอย่างอุดมสมบูรณ์อย่างไรเล่า"
The puzzle depends on the assumption that this is a translation so:
Is it likely that the wolf would talk in prose?
If not then what did he say in English?
Tgeezer

Re: อย่างไรเล่า

Postby Pirin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 am

Tgeezer wrote:I am trying to work out what this means because since it comes from the book '50 นิทาน อ่านเพลิน I think are 'fables'- fictional stories in prose or verse handed down involving animals, mythical creatures.
Since they are in prose, consider this line from a scene where some sheep have left the flock on the hillside and are grazing closer to a stream where a wolf waits and calls to them: เจ้าแกะน้อยเย๋อ ...... เดินลงมาตรงข้างล่างนี้สิเจ้าจะได้มีอาหารกินอย่างอุดมสมบูรณ์อย่างไรเล่า"

in some ways
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Pirin wrote:
Tgeezer wrote:I am trying to work out what this means because since it comes from the book '50 นิทาน อ่านเพลิน I think are 'fables'- fictional stories in prose or verse handed down involving animals, mythical creatures.

in some ways

Thanks Pirin.
I am reading what is considered childish material mainly because it is guaranteed to be grammatical so the role of อย่างไรเล่า is important to me.
I am reading it word for word.
Can อาหารกิน>ย่างไรเล่า mean อาหารกินดียิ่งนัก ผมจะบอกลักษณะของอาหารกินได้อย่างไร
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:19 am

Before we discuss this any further, as a native speaker of English language, could you let us know the impression you get as soon as you see the following sentence:

"Today the field of SLA has so many branches and subfields and specialization that it is virtually impossible to “manage”!"
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:07 am

Pirin wrote:Before we discuss this any further, as a native speaker of English language, could you let us know the impression you get as soon as you see the following sentence:

"Today the field of SLA has so many branches and subfields and specialization that it is virtually impossible to “manage”!"

SLA Service-level agreement? Is a contract between a service provider and its customers. 'Managed' being in inverted commas implies that SLA is not managed in the accepted meaning of the word. Certainly not by the provider!
Virtually means for all practical purposes impossible.
We all know about service providers, you can't get you are paying for without going to a great deal of effort.
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Thank you so much for the interpretation. Such interpretation does imply that you are familiar with reading complicated texts, even though the topic is not that in your field.

The sentence I asked you to read is just one of those found in academic or formal contexts. It is not conversational at all. Your interpretation also shows that what is said in that sentence is expressed in a different way in a less formal context.

This is just to say that, as for, "เดินลงมาตรงข้างล่างนี้สิเจ้าจะได้มีอาหารกินอย่างอุดมสมบูรณ์อย่างไรเล่า", it is just a statement found in the book of tales. The wording is not that of what we use in our daily conversations.
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:08 am

Pirin wrote:Thank you so much for the interpretation. Such interpretation does imply that you are familiar with reading complicated texts, even though the topic is not that in your field.

The sentence I asked you to read is just one of those found in academic or formal contexts. It is not conversational at all. Your interpretation also shows that what is said in that sentence is expressed in a different way in a less formal context.

This is just to say that, as for, "เดินลงมาตรงข้างล่างนี้สิเจ้าจะได้มีอาหารกินอย่างอุดมสมบูรณ์อย่างไรเล่า", it is just a statement found in the book of tales. The wording is not that of what we use in our daily conversations.

Thanks for อย่างไรเล่า I think that I can accept that in the story context.

I am not a linguist but I can try to explain 'virtually impossible' by making the grammar fit.
virtually is an adverb. โดยเสมือนจริง the verb is จัดการงาน
Impossible is the adjective. The noun is ผู้พูด . He says ไม่สามารถจะกระทำได้.
So if he is incapable, it is unreasonable to assume that any other normal person is capable. He doesn't speak for everybody but we assume he speaks for normal people.
You could rephrase this as 'for all practical purposes this is impossible'.
'Practically impossible' is often used instead, but that would pile adverb on adverb.
Tgeezer

Return to Advanced Translation