thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Translation for tattoo

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Translation for tattoo

Postby baileynicole21 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:53 am

As a Filipino American, I think Thai is such a beautiful language! I wanted to get the quote "When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others" tattooed vertically on my spine so it reads from the top of my spine to the bottom. I was wondering how that would translate, as I am weary of such translations that Google provides. I would love an explanation as to how the translation from English to Thai is broken down. :D Thank you!!!
baileynicole21

Re: Translation for tattoo

Postby theoldman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:26 am

Hi Baileynicole21

"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others"
เมื่อ (คุณ) พบสันติสุขภายใน (ตัวคุณ)
(คุณ) ก็จะ (กลายเป็นผู้ที่) อยู่อย่างสงบสุขกับผู้อื่นได้

The words in the parentheses above can be skipped as it also gives the same meaning. Besides, you might need compact sentences for our tattoo, right? ;)

So, this is the most compact version (with the same meaning, with another way of saying it):

เมื่อพบสันติภายใน (When you find peace within yourself,)
ก็พบสันติกับผู้อื่น (you will find peace with others.)

Vertically? Hmm...word by word might be too long. How about two words?

เมื่อพบ = When you find
สันติ = peace
ภายใน = within
ก็พบ = (you will) find
สันติ = peace
กับผู้อื่น = with others

But it you really like word by word, beware of the word that cannot be separated. For example สันติ (not สัน and ติ); ผู้อื่น (not ผู้ and อื่น).

เมื่อ
พบ
สันติ
ภายใน (here not so serious, it can be separated as ภาย and ใน)
ก็พบ (here can be separated ก็ and พบ)
สันติ
กับ
ผู้อื่น

Hope this helps.
theoldman

Postby Pirin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:18 pm

baileynicole21 wrote:As a Filipino American, I think Thai is such a beautiful language! I wanted to get the quote "When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others" tattooed vertically on my spine so it reads from the top of my spine to the bottom. I was wondering how that would translate, as I am weary of such translations that Google provides. I would love an explanation as to how the translation from English to Thai is broken down. :D Thank you!!!

A poetical way to say that in Thai:
รู้ซึ้งถึง
สันติสุขในใจ
ได้ฉันได
อยู่อย่าง
สันติสุขกับใคร ๆ
ได้ฉันนั้น
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:17 am

I see what you are doing montyb, the ideal English would be found in a popular song or an ancient Buddhist text I should think. I feel that tattoos should be packed with meaning using few words.
"I love mum/dad Doris" is too prosaic, but "Love mum/dad/Doris is a tattoo.

For instance if คนอื่น is going to be said then ตน, ภายในตัว or whatever in the first part can be deduced.

Translating the English is what people do here but whether the result is Thai I think depends on the reader's English ability. Having said that of course the people who see it and are curious, probably won't see any sense in it unless it is a faithful translation of English.
So which should make poetical sense, the English or the Thai?
I am conscious of the fact that tattoos last forever so unless the poster is covered in them, whatever is decided upon is likely to be 'read' so should be at least a little
enigmatic.

I can't suggest too much Thai of course but could the English be pared down first?
From the post on ศรีแก่ปาก we can see that เหตุและผล can be written without a conjunction so:
"Find Inner peace, fined love."
Which is to say that without knowing yourself you will never be able to find someone to live with.
If the situation "living with people" is not to simply live in peace with them then change love.
"Find inner peace live in harmony." Is to say that living with others needs the ability to live with yourself.

I expect that the reason that my posts are generally ignored is because I think too much so this is more for baileynicole21 to consider before the 'branding' takes place.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 pm

Pirin wrote:
baileynicole21 wrote:As a Filipino American, I think Thai is such a beautiful language! I wanted to get the quote "When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others" tattooed vertically on my spine so it reads from the top of my spine to the bottom. I was wondering how that would translate, as I am weary of such translations that Google provides. I would love an explanation as to how the translation from English to Thai is broken down. :D Thank you!!!

A poetical way to say that in Thai:
รู้ซึ้งถึง
สันติสุขในใจ
ได้ฉันได
อยู่อย่าง
สันติสุขกับใคร ๆ
ได้ฉันนั้น

Another choice for you to choose:
มีใจ
ที่
สงบสุข
จะอยู่กับ
ใคร ๆ
ได้อย่าง
สุขสงบ
Last edited by Pirin on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirin

Postby baileynicole21 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Awesome!!!! Thank you all so much, I really appreciate the timely responses and extra consideration for explaining what would make sense and what wouldn't. I understand it's often difficult to make exact translations into other languages!
baileynicole21

Postby sabaidee » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:06 pm

"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others"
ถ้าใจคุณสงบ ไม่ว่าคุณจะอยู่ที่ไหน คุณก็จะมีความสุข : this is not direct translation.
sabaidee

Return to Advanced Translation