thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Postby Pirin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:02 am

Tgeezer wrote:I agree, I take it that a Thai wrote เขด as a direct substitution for the word 'zone' and the adjectival clause could be either figurative or real as it could be in English. The euphemism 'Comfort room' could mean both as well except that it is now widely understood.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone is ridiculous grammatically it probably would not have made sense to a previous generation. its attractivness comes from the play on words, beginning and end, and in equating life and comfort zone. Life begins when we are born. Zones can be three dimentional, so zone here is life.
New life begins when you give up your old life. This is how Pirin appears to have seen it. We need to take sayings apart and explain them, then find a Thai equivalent or we just get what I call Thaiกฤษ. The trick is to make the Thai as 'catchy' as the English.
Pirin is our best chance there I think.

My Thai sentence implies the three ideas:
1) life beginning as soon as one is born;
2) life beginning as soon as one starts school;
3) life benning as soon as one finishes the school life and starts to work.

ชีวิตที่ซับซ้อน = what one goes through in life

ชีวิตที่ยืนยาว = one's whole life
เสนาะโสตเสียงสุนทรีย์มีสรรค์สร้าง ลิขิตทางวางบรรจบสบสองเรา
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:17 am

That's good Pirin but doesn't show 'comfort zone'. I had a chat with a friend and he came up with โลกส่วนตัว.
So I think that จะมีความตื้นเต้นเมื่อก้ายออกจากโลกส่วนตัว might be close to what the saying means to me.
คับที่อยู่ได้คับใจอยู่ยาก
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:37 am

Pirin wrote:
3) life beginning as soon as one finishes the school life and starts to work.

Tgeezer wrote:That's good Pirin but doesn't show 'comfort zone'. I had a chat with a friend and he came up with โลกส่วนตัว.
So I think that จะมีความตื้นเต้นเมื่อก้ายออกจากโลกส่วนตัว might be close to what the saying means to me.

(to have been protected by the mother = to have been in 'comfort zone')
(to have been protected by the family members = to have been in 'comfort zone')
3) life beginning as soon as one finishes the school life and starts to work.
(to have been protected by the family members and the school system = to have been in 'comfort zone')
Pirin

Postby Pirin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 am

Pirin wrote:"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."
=>
ชีวิตที่ซับซ้อนและยืนยาว เริ่มต้นจากเพียงหนึ่งก้าวที่เข้าสู่โลกกว้าง

ก้าวเข้าสู่โลกกว้าง

Tgeezer wrote:That's good Pirin but doesn't show 'comfort zone'. I had a chat with a friend and he came up with โลกส่วนตัว.
So I think that จะมีความตื่นเต้นเมื่อก้าวออกจากโลกส่วนตัว might be close to what the saying means to me.

"ก้าวออกจากโลกส่วนตัว"

เวลาก้าวออกจากโลกส่วนตัว คุณก้าวไปที่ไหนคะ
Pirin

Postby Toffeeman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 pm

I have seen 'comfort zone' translated as พื้นที่สบายใจ

Seems to me we talk about being 'in' our comfort zone or being 'out' of our comfort zone. Seems 'end' is used to contrast with 'begin' as Tgeezer says.

So what about: ชีวิตจะเริ่มต้นเมื่อออกจากพื้นที่สบายใจ.
Maybe a bit literal, would like to know if a Thai would understand the deeper meaning from this.
Toffeeman

Postby Tgeezer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 am

Thanks toffeeman, David, don't go away because I finally decided to use Google and find out how comfort zone is defined by experts.
Pirin there are two definitions.
a. A situation where one feels safe and at ease.
b. A settled way of working that requires little effort and yields barely acceptable results.

I found some quotes by an author who writes 'self Improvement' books, one quote is almost the same but as you see doesn't stand alone.
1. You never (will) change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change(life) begins at the end of your comfort zone.
2. We have to be honest about what we want (out of life) and take risks rather than lie to ourselves and make excuses (in order) to stay in our comfort zone.
3. Be willing to step outside of your comfort zone once in a while, take the risks that seem worth taking, it may not be easy but it (life) will be more interesting.

The words in brackets are mine.

I hope that you can see Pirin that these are not stages in life's cycle but the taking up of or creating opportunities because we are not satisfied with our condition.

ถ้ามีชีวิตที่สดวกแล้วแต่คุณไม่ค่อยมีความพอใจเอง คุณมีอำนาจให้จะเปลียนชีวิตส่วนตัวได้ ต้องเสี่ยงหน่อย ลองทำสิ่งที่ไม่เคย
You see Pirin, by writing a little Thai I am out of my comfort zone! :D

The topic is about enhancing your life by doing things which you have never tried.
Tgeezer

Postby Pirin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 am

Pirin wrote:

Tgeezer wrote:Thanks toffeeman, David, don't go away because I finally decided to use Google and find out how comfort zone is defined by experts.
b. A settled way of working that requires little effort and yields barely acceptable results.

I found some quotes by an author who writes 'self Improvement' books, one quote is almost the same but as you see doesn't stand alone.
1. You never (will) change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change(life) begins at the end of your comfort zone.
2. We have to be honest about what we want (out of life) and take risks rather than lie to ourselves and make excuses (in order) to stay in our comfort zone.
3. Be willing to step outside of your comfort zone once in a while, take the risks that seem worth taking, it may not be easy but it (life) will be more interesting.

I hope that you can see Pirin that these are not stages in life's cycle but the taking up of or creating opportunities because we are not satisfied with our condition.

ถ้ามีชีวิตที่สดวกแล้วแต่คุณไม่ค่อยมีความพอใจเอง คุณมีอำนาจให้จะเปลียนชีวิตส่วนตัวได้ ต้องเสี่ยงหน่อย ลองทำสิ่งที่ไม่เคย

The topic is about enhancing your life by doing things which you have never tried.

Believe it or not, we talked about the same thing.

Because I have been busy at work, I will be able to discuss in detail on Friday.
Pirin

Postby Pirin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:02 am

Pirin wrote:
Pirin wrote:

Tgeezer wrote:Thanks toffeeman, David, don't go away because I finally decided to use Google and find out how comfort zone is defined by experts.

Believe it or not, we talked about the same thing.

Because I have been busy at work, I will be able to discuss in detail on Friday.

Some of us are born to live in the comfort zone -- a warm family, while some others are born to deal with the tough world. We face things different from what we have in the comfort zone at different times.
Pirin

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 am

That's true Pirin but we are trying to define the term in the context of the topic which is a negative situation, when life is easy but dissatisfying.
We could say 'rut' which is defined as สถาพที่เคยชินจนน่าเบื่อ eg. I have a comfortable life but I feel that I am going nowhere, I am in a rut". I might be advised that I must get out of the rut, when I get out, my life will improve.

So returning to the topic, could you do anything with ชีวิตส่วนตัวที่ไม่ให้ความพอใจ for 'comfort zone' in " Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" ?
Tgeezer

Postby matts89 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 am

Hey everyone! I finally got connected so I can contribute a little more myself. I am the original poster. First let me tell everyone I've really enjoyed following along with all the responses and I appreciate the time you all have spent discussing this. Although I couldn't respond, I did still do some checking up on my own with a few Thai friends I have. Here's where I'm at:

So I’ve been back and forth with a few thai friends I have discussing the quote and its translation. The best progress I’ve made was with a female friend of mine who works as condo salesperson in Thailand. Without her knowing what I was trying to translate from english, I simply sent her the text that another Thai friend had given me (from the original post here) and asked if she could explain it to me in English as her English was very good.

Here’s that text again: การใช้ชีวิตจริงๆนั้นเพิ่งจะเริ่มต้นเมื่อคุณเริ่มก้าวออกจากเขต ที่สะดวกสบายของคุณ [edited]

Here’s word for word what she returned to me: “It mean you will know what is live really when you start step out of you convenient live and start to live without any desire.”

With some of the common grammar issues that most English learners have, she seems to have conveyed to me the same meaning I interpret when I read “life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” The ‘live without any desire’ part threw me a little but she seems to have clearly understood the concept in Thai that I would like. She also assured me “Thai people will understand” which I took to mean any typical Thai person would read the above Thai and interpret it similarly. I also double checked with her that her explanation was coming directly from her and not google translate or similar translation app.

When I sent her the English equivalent, “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” she was quick to reply, “yeah that’s it, same.”

But from following along with this forum, it seems that the 'comfort zone' concept in English seems to be the biggest concern as far as how it's translated into Thai due to cultural differences. But when she was able to explain to me the idea it conveyed in English by only seeing the Thai, it seems to have gotten the message across. For what it's worth, I can translate the same quote into Spanish (which I'm more much competent with than Thai) and the meaning is easily understood, as far as the 'comfort zone' concept so I suppose it's just a matter of confirming how the majority of Thais would interpret the idea of a comfort zone??

So is what my Thai friend has given me as a translation already acceptable? Are there different/better ways to say it? I'm looking forward to being more involved now that Im connected here.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot to everybody!!!

Matt
matts89

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Translation