thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

a moving tribute

Complete sentences, phrases, and figurative speech

Moderator: acloudmovingby

a moving tribute

Postby Gwindor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Yesterday I was walking in New York City, along 23rd St between 7th and 6th Avenues. There is a new Thai restaurant there, and I was pleased to see they had posted their menu in a nice frame outside their door. I was equally pleased -- and moved -- to see that the frame displaying the menu had this phrase painted across the top: ฉันเกิดในราชกาลที่๙

First, I share in the grief of all Thai people for the loss of Rama IX, and share in their belief that his model of calm and patient determination in the face of adversity is now his Kingdom's inheritance. The statement in the doorway in NYC was a touching reminder.

I also have two questions. I realize that there has been a substantial amount of time since the passing of previous kings in Thailand, and that people may not be aware or remember whether this kind of statement was ever used before. Clearly, in this case the use of the expression has a poignancy that can't be separated from the current national mourning. That being said, did this expression originate at the present time, or is it an older, more traditional way of identifying oneself as belonging to a generation?

Second, and much more technical, should I assume that ฉัน here indicates that the person making the statement is female? Or should I assume (my actual guess) that the use of this pronoun indicates the intensely personal and intimate nature of the statement?
Gwindor

Return to Advanced Translation