thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

พร้อมล้อหมุน

Given names, nicknames, boxing monikers, tattoos

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Re: พร้อมล้อหมุน

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:33 pm

jyajaz wrote:bobcat321 is right though.

Maybe the person was late to post it but this can not be say on a way to somewhere. It does not mean "I'm on the way", literal translation is "the wheels are ready to roll", real meaning is "We are ready to go".

I didn't say that Bobcat was wrong. Although I don't see it your way.
พร้อมล้อหมุน I read as "เตรียมครบถ้วน ล้อหมุน" there is no future tense in ล้อหมุน is there? It was sent by the passenger sitting in the car, I know that because he would hardly be standing outside as the last passenger's gear is loaded delaying proceedings while he posted on Facebook informing all his friends that all was prepared and that soon the wheels would be going around. That sort of thing is done after the passenger is satisfied that the car has safely joined the traffic flow and is now settled en-route.
That is how I understood it, and I do think that I understand it because I can picture the scene having been part of similar scenes so many times.
Tgeezer

Postby bobcat321 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Tgeezer wrote:I didn't say that Bobcat was wrong. Although I don't see it your way.
พร้อมล้อหมุน I read as "เตรียมครบถ้วน ล้อหมุน" there is no future tense in ล้อหมุน is there? It was sent by the passenger sitting in the car, I know that because he would hardly be standing outside as the last passenger's gear is loaded delaying proceedings while he posted on Facebook informing all his friends that all was prepared and that soon the wheels would be going around. That sort of thing is done after the passenger is satisfied that the car has safely joined the traffic flow and is now settled en-route.
That is how I understood it, and I do think that I understand it because I can picture the scene having been part of similar scenes so many times.

I had to ask a Thai friend because this really got me interested..

You: พร้อมล้อหมุน
You: แปลว่าอะไร
พี่หน่อย: พร้อมที่จะออกเดินทาง
You: ล้อหมุน แปลว่า เดินทางหรือ
พี่หน่อย: อืมใช่
You: ยังไงล่ะ
พี่หน่อย: ล้อรถกำลังจะหมุนออก
You: พูดอย่างนี้หมายความว่าเขายังไม่ออกหรือ
พี่หน่อย: อาจจะยังไม่ออกหรืออาจจอดพักแล้วบอกเวลาพร้อมล้อหมุน

So I still firmly believe what I said at first, that it's something like "ready to roll", or like jyajaz said "the wheels are ready to roll" which you wouldn't say if you were already driving (unless you've stopped somewhere along the way, which my friend พี่หน่อย stated).
bobcat321

Postby Tgeezer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Watch this space! I shall just ask the protagonists. :D
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Sorry folks, I am delighted to be able to tell you that I was wrong and you were right. I misread the post and completely misread the situation.
I have had it explained. They were waiting at Jatuchak for one passenger who was late apparently, at 0825 the post was made: "พร้อมล้อหมุน 0830" . I don't know how I missed the time, probably because I then focused on the comments which assume that they were on their way. I would have thought that 'messenger' or 'link' would be the right means to communicate with one person, but I am probably wrong there as well.
They actually left at 0900 apparently. :oops:
Tgeezer

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

bobcat321 wrote:
I had to ask a Thai friend because this really got me interested..

You: พร้อมล้อหมุน
You: แปลว่าอะไร
พี่หน่อย: พร้อมที่จะออกเดินทาง
You: ล้อหมุน แปลว่า เดินทางหรือ
พี่หน่อย: อืมใช่
You: ยังไงล่ะ
พี่หน่อย: ล้อรถกำลังจะหมุนออก
You: พูดอย่างนี้หมายความว่าเขายังไม่ออกหรือ
พี่หน่อย: อาจจะยังไม่ออกหรืออาจจอดพักแล้วบอกเวลาพร้อมล้อหมุน

So I still firmly believe what I said at first, that it's something like "ready to roll", or like jyajaz said "the wheels are ready to roll" which you wouldn't say if you were already driving (unless you've stopped somewhere along the way, which my friend พี่หน่อย stated).

I don't think that I would have got this even if I had noticed that it was posted at 0825 and said "พร้อมล้อหมุน 0830" because I had formed a picture in my mind which didn't allow for that interpretation, ironically the whole point of my post, or as David questioned 'my insight'.
Had it not been for jayajaz I think that I would have been allowed to remain ignorant of what พร้อม meant here because I don't think that Bobcat would have pressed the point to this satisfactory conclusion.
Thanks to all.
Tgeezer

Postby tod-daniels » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:37 am

It's totally "Ready to roll", whether you accept it or not is on you Tgeezer. :lol: .

I've heard it in war movies with thai voice over when they're ready to move out ;) . . . It's used ALL the time in adz for luggage too, so pi_choen is correct (as a brief google of the phrase would show :) ), although the context the O/P provided shows it's NOT that meaning of the phrase.

I have found all too many times with thai, that the obvious and simple answer is the real answer. :o :shock: No sense making it harder than it has to be. :lol:
"Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS
tod-daniels

Postby Tgeezer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:12 am

tod-daniels wrote:It's totally "Ready to roll", whether you accept it or not is on you Tgeezer. :lol: .

I've heard it in war movies with thai voice over when they're ready to move out ;) . . . It's used ALL the time in adz for luggage too, so pi_choen is correct (as a brief google of the phrase would show :) ), although the context the O/P provided shows it's NOT that meaning of the phrase.

I have found all too many times with thai, that the obvious and simple answer is the real answer. :o :shock: No sense making it harder than it has to be. :lol:

Are you following the thread Tod ?
I have accepted it!
I am the original poster and the scenario I provided was wrong. They were in fact waiting to go and one person had not turned up. "พร้อมล้อหมุน 0830" means "Everybody will be ready to leave at 0830. Addressed to the one 'no show' pointing out that he is holding up the proceedings but without actually saying "shift your ass".

I don't think that there is an obvious and simple answer to this especially if, as you say pi cheon is correct and พร้อมล้อหมุน could be a noun!
Tgeezer

Previous

Return to Basic Translation